Beersmith water volumes?

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Beersmith water volumes?

Unread postby Talison » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:35 pm

Has anybody else noticed that Beersmith advises adding insufficient initial volumes of water? For example, in one recipe a brewer advised adding 14 litres of water to a grain bill of 6 kilos, but in this case stirring and soaking of grains is impossible. This recipe then advises sparging 20 liters before boil... I don't see how this makes sense in terms of reaching the correct OG. Any thoughts?

We are working with a 20 L malt pipe within a 50 L BM.

Any thoughts are greatly appreceiated

Cheers

Alison
Talison

Model: 50 litres

Re: Beersmith water volumes?

Unread postby Fat Duck Brewery » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:00 pm

Talison wrote:Has anybody else noticed that Beersmith advises adding insufficient initial volumes of water? For example, in one recipe a brewer advised adding 14 litres of water to a grain bill of 6 kilos, but in this case stirring and soaking of grains is impossible. This recipe then advises sparging 20 liters before boil... I don't see how this makes sense in terms of reaching the correct OG. Any thoughts?

We are working with a 20 L malt pipe within a 50 L BM.

Any thoughts are greatly appreceiated

Cheers

Alison

Hi Alison

I think your problems are within your equipment profile settings, as i have exactly the same issues with a 20L using a 10L malt pipe. Basically Beersmith tells you to over sparge by miles so you never hit your OG.
Dont think its really a BS problem just us not using the software correctly, i'll find out tomorrow as i've been playing with my profile settings.
Fat Duck Brewery

Model: 20 litres

Return to General / Tips and Tricks