What efficiency should I state in Beersmith?

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

What efficiency should I state in Beersmith?

Unread postby Fat Duck Brewery » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:46 am

Hi All,

Firstly i'm new to this site, just heard about it, so happy to finally find other braumeister users. I'm a self learning 20L braumeister user for now 10 months.
To help me on my way I also use Beersmith for my recipes.

However what setting should I enter into the equipment profile? as it ask's for brewhouse efficiency and well i don't know, how do you work that out when you're also learning to brew?

I normally do a 4 step mash starting off at 40c dough in, then 52c, 63c, 73c and mash out 78c

Any help and tips to keep improving and learning is appreciated, it's my goal to scale up to the next larger 50L once I feel im making tasty beer on the 20L

Thanks all

Craig
Fat Duck Brewery

Model: 20 litres

Re: What efficiency should I state in Beersmith?

Unread postby aziztan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:52 pm

Hi FDB,

Your crush, water PH, sparge process etc will have an impact on this co efficient. For the sake of your app, the MEDIAN for BM users is about 75%*.

(*Based on a typical grain bill, not super high gravity beers)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
aziztan

Unread postby grooves » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:07 pm

I think here you are suggesting 75% as a starting point for mash efficiency.

In Beersmith you have to twiddle "BH Efficiency" to affect "Est Mash Eff" - so do this to get Est Mash Eff to = 75%.

Later you can tweak this value along with your equipment profile if you want to hit you numbers reliably.
grooves

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby mashy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:11 am

I don't know at this point how much you have brewed. I am guessing some of thisis still a bit mind blowing.

For the beginner there is a huge ammount of numbers /software & gear that is irrelevant to a good pint. And it is exploding all the time, because this hobby has become trendy. So people are jumping on the bandwagon..

I am going to be 'out there' and say learn to brew beer, ignore the numbers for now. Many of them are irrelevant if you just want a good pint and don't run a multi-million pound brewery.

Efficiency? Taste is what matters, not if you have to add 50 grams more grain to get it!

Final volume? ...How much water to I need to add to end up with 23 liters in the fermenter? If your water is drinkable out of the tap - top it up when you are done.

DON'T sweat the numbers

Randy Mosher wrote "you don't do that when you make a sandwich" (or something really close). Learn to brew, follow a simple recipe, the rest will come. Lots of folk have "know how" fewer have "know why" - learn to fly the software and you will only learn to fly the software.

This is meant to be fun - lets make beer! "There is never enough beer" [& thats not originally mine either]
mashy

Unread postby IPA » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:48 pm

mashy wrote:I don't know at this point how much you have brewed. I am guessing some of thisis still a bit mind blowing.

For the beginner there is a huge ammount of numbers /software & gear that is irrelevant to a good pint. And it is exploding all the time, because this hobby has become trendy. So people are jumping on the bandwagon..

I am going to be 'out there' and say learn to brew beer, ignore the numbers for now. Many of them are irrelevant if you just want a good pint and don't run a multi-million pound brewery.

Efficiency? Taste is what matters, not if you have to add 50 grams more grain to get it!

Final volume? ...How much water to I need to add to end up with 23 liters in the fermenter? If your water is drinkable out of the tap - top it up when you are done.

DON'T sweat the numbers

Randy Mosher wrote "you don't do that when you make a sandwich" (or something really close). Learn to brew, follow a simple recipe, the rest will come. Lots of folk have "know how" fewer have "know why" - learn to fly the software and you will only learn to fly the software.

This is meant to be fun - lets make beer! "There is never enough beer" [& thats not originally mine either]

100% true. And buy a couple of good books on the subject. Don't rely complely on the internet because there are a lot of people repeating internet myths.
IPA

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Onthebrew » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:49 pm

i used to use brewers friend software but have no idea what my efficiency is, never really understood its importance - I just work from my previous notes and tweak as needed. actually not quite true- i do use software for hop additions to hit IBUs.
Onthebrew

Unread postby tsgreen » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:57 am

mashy wrote:I don't know at this point how much you have brewed. I am guessing some of thisis still a bit mind blowing.

DON'T sweat the numbers

Excellent advice Mashy!
tsgreen

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Fat Duck Brewery » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:34 pm

Thanks for the true support, and you're 100% correct.
I was actually making myself feel stressed over this today, and the whole point why i took up brewing in the first place was to relax....

Back to basics is indeed needed....

tsgreen wrote:

DON'T sweat the numbers

Excellent advice Mashy!
Fat Duck Brewery

Unread postby Fat Duck Brewery » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:36 pm

tsgreen wrote:

DON'T sweat the numbers

Excellent advice Mashy!

indeed...
Fat Duck Brewery

Return to General / Tips and Tricks