What efficiency should I state in Beersmith?

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

What efficiency should I state in Beersmith?

Unread postby Fat Duck Brewery » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:46 am

Hi All,

Firstly i'm new to this site, just heard about it, so happy to finally find other braumeister users. I'm a self learning 20L braumeister user for now 10 months.
To help me on my way I also use Beersmith for my recipes.

However what setting should I enter into the equipment profile? as it ask's for brewhouse efficiency and well i don't know, how do you work that out when you're also learning to brew?

I normally do a 4 step mash starting off at 40c dough in, then 52c, 63c, 73c and mash out 78c

Any help and tips to keep improving and learning is appreciated, it's my goal to scale up to the next larger 50L once I feel im making tasty beer on the 20L

Thanks all

Craig
Fat Duck Brewery

Model: 20 litres

Re: What efficiency should I state in Beersmith?

Unread postby IPA » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:13 pm

What beer are you brewing with that schedule. See my post on the topic of low efficiency. You won't know your average efficiency until you have measured several brews. I have been brewing with a BM for many years and have never felt the need to use Beersmith. There is a much more simple free programme that is excellent to use with a BM. It's called Beer Engine by the late Graham Wheeler and can be downloaded free on Jim's Beer ,Kit
IPA

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mikeschmidt » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:49 pm

I have struggled with BeerSmith. First you need to get the profile correct with water volumes, etc.

I would start with an efficiency around 70%. Then after the brew day take your measured OG and adjust the efficiency in BeerSmith until it calculates the same OG.

Do this for a few brews and get a feel for your efficiency to use in subsequent recipes.

Your crush will also have an impact. I increased my efficiency with a more course crush. Also note that as you increase the grain bill your efficiency will go down. For 6kg I might use 70% efficiency in my recipe vs. 76% for 4.5kg.
mikeschmidt

Unread postby IPA » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:50 am

mikeschmidt wrote:I have struggled with BeerSmith. First you need to get the profile correct with water volumes, etc.

I would start with an efficiency around 70%. Then after the brew day take your measured OG and adjust the efficiency in BeerSmith until it calculates the same OG.

Do this for a few brews and get a feel for your efficiency to use in subsequent recipes.

Your crush will also have an impact. I increased my efficiency with a more course crush. Also note that as you increase the grain bill your efficiency will go down. For 6kg I might use 70% efficiency in my recipe vs. 76% for 4.5kg.

As I said earlier in this thread I don't use Beersmith but no matter what grain bill I get 83/85% efficiency.
IPA

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mashy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:38 pm

What sort of beers are you running?
mashy

Return to General / Tips and Tricks