Oaking beer

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Oaking beer

Unread postby mashy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:31 am

I have been using oak for a while in wine, with good results. But never really got properly started with beer.

I prefer to add the oak [ dominoes/cubes ] into the brew, not the brew into the oak.

The plan is a brown IPA 5% ish, oak (8-10gl) in primary, day 2 once the yeast in under way.

Has anyone tried this - any thoughts - hints tips ?
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Re: Oaking beer

Unread postby grooves » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:28 pm

I'd boil the oak cubes for 5 mins just in case they have any nasties on them, although if the yeast is underway and there's already alcohol then that should do the job for you.

It might take some time to impart the osk flavour - but you'll have a better idea on this with the experience of wine.

One of my next brews is a porter flavoured with spiced rum and oak. For the oak - I'm going to make an oak tea. That is boil up some Jack Daniel's barrel oak chip for 30mins, and then add the oaky water directly to the finished beer. This gives more control on the flavour and takes less time. I can test the flavours in 100ml of beer, and then add the same percentage to the 20l of finished beer. Although granted it's not very true to traditional oak barrel aging.
grooves

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby mashy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:17 pm

We are on the same page.

I have some JD chips ..... I would save my expensive french dominoes.

I rinse them...only 'cos it makes me feel better really. Boiling is a no-no for me (hence day 2) as it will alter the flavour.
IF it troubles you either blast them with a blowtorch or put them in a hot oven for not more than 5 mins - I will repeat that NOT MORE THAN 5 MINS they can explosively combust.

Wine makers don't do either.

Thinking perhaps and Old Peculiar recipe?
mashy

Unread postby mbarn » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:59 am

I found it quite underwhelming. I rinse with water and then soak in vodka, before adding to fermenter for a few weeks. It added slight background flavour, and I used quite a lot. I’ll try the “tea” style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mbarn

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby mashy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:54 am

I find adding it to the brew is best. As soon as the yeast has started.
mashy

Return to General / Tips and Tricks