Corny Keg cleaning

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Corny Keg cleaning

Unread postby Onthebrew » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:33 pm

Having now had my kegs for 9 months or so i am wondering do they need a deep clean at all. three kegs have been used 3 or 4 times each. i'm quite lazy when it comes to cleaning so try to push the limits of good practice as much as i can.

currently, after a keg has kicked I tend to just rinse a few times with hot water ( sometimes adding a small bit of PBW). then leave it to soak in for a bit before pushing that out through the beer lines and tap. then drain and store. before next use i will rinse again and push star san through.

i feel I should probably once a year maybe give them a proper clean - what does everyone else do? with kegs, taps and beer lines?
Onthebrew

Model: 20 litres

Re: Corny Keg cleaning

Unread postby Sladek789 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:59 pm

I use the Mark II Keg and Carboy Washer for my kegs and it works just great. My process is, I rinse the keg with hot water, run a 10 mins cycle of Chemipro, then 10 mins of Saniclean (Starsan foams too much).
It cleans keg and liquid/gas inlets at the same time. Just perfect. See demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkI-gyZ2b8k
As I use my kegs heavily so they are sanitized very regularly but once a year I do a total disassembly and clean/soak in starsan all parts and seals (and change them if necessary). So far, so good.

I do clean/rinze and sanitize taps and beer lines after every beer change. I use a DIY repurposed spayer, something similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJkBqg3FAhw
Very easy, cheap and works great.
Sladek789

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Onthebrew » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:59 pm

cheers, will have a look at those links this evening.
Onthebrew

Unread postby tsgreen » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:05 pm

I made a keg cleaner with a sump pump. Sprays inside of keg and cleans ports. Run it in a bucket with cleaner and then rinse. Also clean lines with every keg change
Attachments
kegcleaner.jpg
tsgreen

Unread postby mashy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:24 pm

Now that is nicely thought out. It's the big brother of what I do.

I use a pressure fitting on the 'liquid out' and invert the whole thing (back washing ) then scrub through with TFR and repeat.

What cleaning solution do you use?
mashy

Unread postby tsgreen » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:26 pm

mashy wrote:Now that is nicely thought out. It's the big brother of what I do.

I use a pressure fitting on the 'liquid out' and invert the whole thing (back washing ) then scrub through with TFR and repeat.

What cleaning solution do you use?

Thanks! :beer:

The keg is inverted on this also so it flushes back into the bucket. Typically I will use oxiclean or pbw. Rinse with water and sanitize.
tsgreen

Unread postby Onthebrew » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:43 pm

..mashy ..tsgreen..

ive no idea what you guys are discussing but it sounds impressive!
Onthebrew

Unread postby tsgreen » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:01 pm

I will look for pictures and videos. Have to teach class shortly though.

Place that in a bucket with water and cleaner. Place open keg upside down over vertical pipe. Attach lines to ports and plug in pump. Sprays through hoses and out holes drilled in pipes. After a cycle with cleaner fresh water is used for next cycle. Sanitize! Hope this helps, have to go! :beerbang:
tsgreen

Unread postby IPA » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:43 am

One teaspoon calcium hypochlorite 65%. (Swimming pool sanitiser)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clearwater-CH0 ... pochlorite
Fill cornie with warm water and leave for six hours.(not any longer) Rinse thoroughly. Job done!
The cheapest cleaner /sanitiser you can buy
IPA

Unread postby PerzellBrewing » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:52 pm

This link has some shots of something similar to what tsgreen and mashy are talking about:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pimp-my-system/matts-keg-and-carboy-washer/
BM20 Owner in US
Twitter: @PerzellBrewing
FB: Perzell Brewing
Pinterest: PBrewing
Shop: TeePublic Storefront
PerzellBrewing

Unread postby tsgreen » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:43 pm

Perfect example Perzell!
tsgreen

Unread postby Lindh » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:45 am

I have Mark’s Kegwasher but also built something more heavy duty: http://www.lindhcraftbeer.com/2018/02/lindhs-kegwasher/
Lindh

Unread postby Onthebrew » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:42 pm

I think my ..quite lazy when it comes to cleaning... may have been overlooked a bit .

i like IPAs method .nice and simple, I take it I can use a week pbw mix instead.
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:19 am

The key words from IPA were "6" and "thoroughly". Both key. Traces of chlorine can affect product. Over-soaking can affect stainless.
mashy

Unread postby Elderberry » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:53 am

I'm still working on finding a regular process, but usually it goes something like this:

Fill keg 2/3 with PBW and hot water. Push some out with CO2 so the dip tube gets a good soak. Soak for at least 30 minutes. Turn the keg upside-down and let soak for another 30 minutes. Push most out with CO2 (which also has the benefit of cleaning lines), reserving some in a bucket. Take apart lid and connectors and soak separately. Rinse everything well, reassemble and put in some hot water. Push out hot water to make sure dip tube and lines are well rinsed. Fill keg until overflowing with StarSan or Chemipro Acid. Push out with CO2 and set aside until you're ready to fill again.
Elderberry

Next

Return to General / Tips and Tricks