Temp issues (still)

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Temp issues (still)

Unread postby Onthebrew » Thu May 31, 2018 8:20 am

Temp drifting

There have been a couple of threads on this and I’ve tried different approaches to work round it to no avail. It used to be just around mash in but now it’s all the time. Essentially the temp keeps rising after the heater switches off.

So for example for a mash set at a constant 66c for 60 mins

Essentially after mashing in at 60c the heater kicks in until the wort reaches 66 then turns off. All good so far, However the temperature keeps steadily rising over next 10 mins or so to 68.5 which it holds for a while then drifts slowly back down again over following 10 mins or so to 65.5 at which point heater kicks in and again, although it shuts off at 66c the above process back up to 68 is repeated. This repeatedly happens throughout the mash until about 50 mins ( pretty well the mash over by then) when it seems to settle.

I am away at the moment and will follow up with speidal again when I get back but in meantime can I ask -

Has anyone found a solution yet to this problem?

Having a continuous floating temp range up and down between 65.5 and 68- any ramifications for a brew targeted at a constant 66c?

Cheers guys
Onthebrew

Model: 20 litres

Re: Temp issues (still)

Unread postby mashy » Thu May 31, 2018 9:42 am

My first thought is this is something to do with the pump / flow / liquor and not the heater [& controller]
Possibly even your bottom seal.

Thinking. The heater is cutting in & out at the right temps, HOWEVER the pump and the volume will affect how this around the system and across the sensor. So if these are inefficient there will be a latency - which IMO is what is happening.

Does that help any ?
mashy

Unread postby Onthebrew » Thu May 31, 2018 5:20 pm

Yes, I sort of follow. Sort of. I will do a water only run again to check.

But if this is the problem, how it s it fixed? The heater only flicks on for a bit but manages to raise temps for long periods according to read out which isn’t possible unless there is some delay. Ie the heater is still running although it says otherwise?
Onthebrew

Unread postby PerzellBrewing » Thu May 31, 2018 7:36 pm

Let's get some more info.

• Is this a stock 25L/50L BM?
  • Any aftermarket parts (BacBrewing filter, plates, etc)?
  • When you look into the kettle, is the heating coil touching the side of the kettle by chance?
  • How tight are you tightening the wingnut?
  • Do you get good flow over the malt pipe or is it a trickle?

Sorry for all the questions but hard to troubleshoot without data. Cheers! :cheers:
BM20 Owner in US
Twitter: @PerzellBrewing
FB: Perzell Brewing
Pinterest: PBrewing
Shop: TeePublic Storefront
PerzellBrewing

Unread postby Onthebrew » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:52 am

PerzellBrewing wrote:Let's get some more info.

Ok hope this helps

[*]Is this a stock 25L/50L BM?

20 litre 2015 model, about 20 months old now

[*]Any aftermarket parts (BacBrewing filter, plates, etc)?

No all original and no mods

[*]When you look into the kettle, is the heating coil touching the side of the kettle by chance?

Don’t think so, no

[*]How tight are you tightening the wing-nut?

Tight as it will go by hand, i could probaly give it a bit more though. Hadn’t thought about this.

[*]Do you get good flow over the malt pipe or is it a trickle?[/list]

I’d say it’s just a trickle really, normally focused down one side.

Sorry for all the questions but hard to troubleshoot without data. Cheers! :cheers:

No problem thanks for the help!
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:30 pm

Do not over tighten it. You can cut the seal in half. You will sent the top of the tube to. (been there) Finger tight is enough.
mashy

Unread postby mashy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:31 pm

Is the pump clean.
mashy

Temp issues (still)

Unread postby HobbyBrauer » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:10 am

The issue your experiencing most likely comes from imho a flaw in the BM design. I experienced the same thing until I figured out that this is caused by the placement of the temp probe. Since the probe measures under the grain and not the liquid in the section with the coils if your recirculating rate is not fast enough the coils will over heat the wort in that section and the temp probe is slow to catch up as you saw.

Make sure you have a good crush this is the single most important aspect when using a BM. However, the perfect crush may not be enough. The best thing I did was to fully submerge the malt pipe (no sparge). Increasing the amount of liquid on top of the coils smoothed out the spikes in temp and now allows me to hit target every time.
HobbyBrauer

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby wally » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:59 am

Well said HobbyBrauer.

That’s my experience also.

Wally
wally

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mashy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:30 am

Also the top plate does not need to sit on the grain, adding to the compaction. Add a small seal around it.
mashy

Unread postby Onthebrew » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:20 pm

mashy wrote:Also the top plate does not need to sit on the grain, adding to the compaction. Add a small seal around it.

I think the filters are ready to be replaced so will be looking at something like this, as detailed on the other thread
Onthebrew

Unread postby Onthebrew » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:26 pm

HobbyBrauer wrote:The issue your experiencing most likely comes from imho a flaw in the BM design. I experienced the same thing until I figured out that this is caused by the placement of the temp probe. Since the probe measures under the grain and not the liquid in the section with the coils if your recirculating rate is not fast enough the coils will over heat the wort in that section and the temp probe is slow to catch up as you saw.

Make sure you have a good crush this is the single most important aspect when using a BM. However, the perfect crush may not be enough. The best thing I did was to fully submerge the malt pipe (no sparge). Increasing the amount of liquid on top of the coils smoothed out the spikes in temp and now allows me to hit target every time.

This makes sense.

So instead of mashing with 23lites and topping up with 4, just mash with 27? Any downsides to this method?

In terms of correct crush, the local supplier only has one setting so have gone with that so far. Going to look into this again though, cheers.
Onthebrew

Unread postby HobbyBrauer » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:26 am

I would just plug your recipe into your favorite brewing program and select the BIAB, no sparge setting. This will get you in the ballpark however if you want to fully submerge your malt pipe like I do you need about 30L of dough in water (BM20) so scale your recipe accordingly if needed.

I will say that you should really look into acquiring your own grain mill. Several are available at very affordable prices. In my experience the crush obtained at the LHBS or from an online retailer is quite poor for BM use, though perfectly fine for more traditional brewing methods.
HobbyBrauer

Unread postby mashy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:09 am

HobbyBrauer wrote:
I will say that you should really look into acquiring your own grain mill. Several are available at very affordable prices. In my experience the crush obtained at the LHBS or from an online retailer is quite poor for BM use, though perfectly fine for more traditional brewing methods.

I have absolutely the opposite experience, so I guess we need to consider location. Perhaps UK milling is different?
mashy

Unread postby HobbyBrauer » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:24 pm

mashy wrote:
HobbyBrauer wrote:

I have absolutely the opposite experience, so I guess we need to consider location. Perhaps UK milling is different?

Huh your probably right my comment apply to California brew stores and several larger national online retailers. Nice to hear that some retailers do a good job! I still say though that having your own mill provides another degree of control in your brewing process and offers a number of advantages when milling specialty grains such as wheat or rye. But that may be my OCD kicking in haha
HobbyBrauer

Next

Return to General / Tips and Tricks