Temp issues (still)

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: Temp issues (still)

Unread postby Onthebrew » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:31 am

"The 2 things I did notice was when the pump paused the level in the malt tube seemed to drop quicker, and the wort definitely went clear earlier."

i guess that would indicate better circulation which is good in terms of what i am looking for.
Onthebrew

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby gandalf the brew » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:06 pm

Onthebrew wrote:i guess that would indicate better circulation which is good in terms of what i am looking for.

My thoughts exactly, I deffo will not go back to 1.2 mm.
Carrots are good for your eyesight, but beer doubles your vision
gandalf the brew

Model: 10 litres (2015)

Unread postby mashy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:10 pm

Good trial. Good result. Also a good argument for not submerging the tube (lodo) - you would never get this info.
mashy

Unread postby Onthebrew » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:20 am

Will probably do the same,my 1.4 grain is here and I should get a chance during the week. Will stick to the 23 litres for mashing for now.
Onthebrew

Unread postby MonsieurBadgerCheese » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:05 am

Afternoon,

This is an interestering conversation. Would it make sense to start a new thread specifically for those of us who are experimenting with different crush sizes?

MBC :)
MonsieurBadgerCheese

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Sladek789 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:51 am

gandalf the brew wrote: So in 2 weeks time I will run again at a crush of 1.6 mm and see if it makes any difference.

@ gandalf the brew, have you made the brew with a 1.6mm gap you mentionned in your past comment?

Seems that the 1.4mm helped, I wonder your feedaback on 1.6mm.
Sladek789

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby RobW » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:36 pm

How does grain size variation affect the roller gap?
There can be a noticeable difference in size between grains but we tend to mill them all with the same gap.
RobW

Unread postby Sladek789 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:49 am

RobW wrote:How does grain size variation affect the roller gap?
There can be a noticeable difference in size between grains but we tend to mill them all with the same gap.

It could affect the roller gap, but only a minor difference and you may not want to bother with it. I have noticed a small different size between two base malt I use a a lot, Maris Otter and Floor malted Pils malt. The Maris Otter having a slightly smaller kernels.
I now usually mill at 1.2mm on Marris Otter and 1.4mm on Pils malt and I do have a similar crush. I used to mill everything at 1.2mm and since then, honestly I have not seen much difference in efficiency or flow (not that I control that one much). Actually, the main reason for increasing the mill gap for pils malt was, less work/resistance for my mill motor, not looking for better effiency/flow.

I'm brewing a pils tomorrow and will try to mill at 1.6mm and report back. Anyway, if not satified with the final crush, I could still mill it a second time at 1.4mm.
Sladek789

Unread postby mashy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:52 am

I like your thinking. I can't say I'd buy into the fact that increasing the roller gap by .2 mm will make that much difference to efficiency & flow. I always consider us to be artisans not bean-counters.
However your point, the bigger it gets the greater the potential for uncrushed grains to pass through, will be an issue.

Like so many things, it's about finding a balance, one size will not fit all.
mashy

Unread postby Sladek789 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:07 pm

Sladek789 wrote:I'm brewing a pils tomorrow and will try to mill at 1.6mm and report back.

So crushed at 1.6mm and it was too coarse for me, some smaller grains were not cracked (pils malt). Finished by milling at 1.45mm and it was ok for me, coarser than I'm used to, but ok.
Sadly my effeciency was shit, about 68%, compared to my normal 75ish. But I also put a little too much malt in the BM50 (total grain of 13.5kg), this despite having the BAC disk. I usually do 12.5-13kg max. The efficiency loss could be due to the larger grain bill than normal.

PS: I remember that BAC advertized that they tested putting 16kg of malt in the BM50 with their disk and having a 76% efficency. I do love their products but I think that they are overselling on that one....no way possible to put 16kg! I had hard time to mix it well, without making a mess, with only 13.5kg.
Sladek789

Unread postby RobW » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:39 am

Sladek789 wrote:

It could affect the roller gap, but only a minor difference and you may not want to bother with it. I have noticed a small different size between two base malt I use a a lot, Maris Otter and Floor malted Pils malt. The Maris Otter having a slightly smaller kernels.
I now usually mill at 1.2mm on Marris Otter and 1.4mm on Pils malt and I do have a similar crush. I used to mill everything at 1.2mm and since then, honestly I have not seen much difference in efficiency or flow (not that I control that one much). Actually, the main reason for increasing the mill gap for pils malt was, less work/resistance for my mill motor, not looking for better effiency/flow.

I'm brewing a pils tomorrow and will try to mill at 1.6mm and report back. Anyway, if not satified with the final crush, I could still mill it a second time at 1.4mm.

I currently crush at 1.2 mm and haven't had any issues (expected efficiency and no fountains) so not really inclined to change.
I figure if it deals with the smaller size grains it will handle everything with maybe only a little more flour.
RobW

Unread postby mashy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:10 am

... I had hard time to mix it well, without making a mess, with only 13.5kg.

Use a whirlpool paddle. Stunning for mixing.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2497&hilit=mash+paddle
mashy

Unread postby Sladek789 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:32 am

mashy wrote:
... I had hard time to mix it well, without making a mess, with only 13.5kg.

Use a whirlpool paddle. Stunning for mixing.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2497&hilit=mash+paddle

I used a plastic paint mixer powered with a drill and it does the mixing job very nicely. And by letting it rotate reasonable slowly, it does not make much of a mess.... it is just that when the malt pipe is too full, it is just too full, whatever the mixing tool you use :wink:

I think I will continue milling at 1.4mm and check the possible impact (positive or negative) after a few brews. One brew is just too little data to convince me one way or another.
Sladek789

Unread postby gandalf the brew » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:14 am

Sorry for the delay, I forgot to come back and post results.
I have done the same recipe as before with the one change of crush size.
So I set my mill to crush @ 1.6 mm and not the 1.4 I did previously, (on the 1.4, I got an SG of 1.053 @ the fermenter prior to yeast pitching) .

Nothing has changed, the SG @ 20C was 1.053, so no change from the first brew. Perhaps the wort went clear earlier than last time, and the malt pipe level dropped quicker on pump pause.
The one difference that stands out is that the temp was a lot more stable, it only over shot by 1.5 degrees in the earlier stage then went totally stable.
I could just be that BM has seen the same things so is stating 1.6 to be the best crush size.
Carrots are good for your eyesight, but beer doubles your vision
gandalf the brew

Model: 10 litres (2015)

Unread postby Onthebrew » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:24 pm

The one difference that stands out is that the temp was a lot more stable, it only over shot by 1.5 degrees in the earlier stage then went totally stable.
I could just be that BM has seen the same things so is stating 1.6 to be the best crush size.

good that sounds promising. i am finally set to try my first lot 1.4 tomorrow now that world cup and hose pipe bans are out of the way.

hopefully i will see some more stable temps and can try 1.6 next time.
Onthebrew

PreviousNext

Return to General / Tips and Tricks