Overnight mash

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: Overnight mash

Unread postby mashy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:26 pm

Thanks. I had a feeling the efficency might go up just because it has longer.

James is my new bestie :D I know I have been bleeting on about it for ages, but I makes everything so much easier.

No sparge. No maths - just good beer.

Just waiting for the weather to be a bit better and I will be overnighting.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby mashy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:40 am

A long hot summer has drained my stock, so I am still trying to catchup.
I keep meaning to do a cold overnight mash, but never do.

NOW's the time. Can someone check my numbers please?

OVN mash.jpg
mashy

Unread postby aziztan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:47 am

mashy wrote:Thanks. I had a feeling the efficency might go up just because it has longer.

James is my new bestie :D I know I have been bleeting on about it for ages, but I makes everything so much easier.

No sparge. No maths - just good beer.

Just waiting for the weather to be a bit better and I will be overnighting.
Sorry for slightly going OT. Do you need to preboil the water or treat cold water with Camden tablet or not bother with any sterilisation? Is this method also used to chill the wort, I.e add cold water to the wort to hit desired gravity and chill. This would save me a tonne of time in wort chilling in the coming summer season.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
aziztan

Unread postby mashy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:03 am

I don't preboil the water or treat cold water with Camden tablet. Ever. Tried preboiling once as proof. Pointless.
Why would you need sterilisation for drinkable water?
My water is what I want without fettling.

It is not so much about chilling the wort, but I do add cold water to the FV to hit desired gravity, volume and temp.
I use a fast copper IC for chilling.

That said you could top up with ice ... been there.
mashy

Unread postby aziztan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:12 am

Maybe the very small amounts of nasties will be killed off in our stomach acids but in wort a small colony could multiply? I'm just being a paranoid PITA here, hoping this is unfounded.

aziztan

Unread postby mashy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:20 am

It is unfounded. The same 'cleansing' process is performed by the yeast. That why peeps used to drink beer and not the water.

Now stop this nonsense or I shall start calling you a "Beach Queen" :D :D :D

EDIT: I did mean "bleach queen" - but the typo is funnier :D
Last edited by mashy on Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
mashy

Unread postby aziztan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:35 am

Sweet! This and over night mash and the pump mod (if I ever bloody get to it!). Time saving here I come! So I can spend more of that at the beach! Lol.

aziztan

Unread postby mashy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:37 pm

I reckon overnight is an hour to set up day one & 2 hours to boil and finish off.
mashy

Unread postby brugen » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:19 pm

mashy wrote:A long hot summer has drained my stock, so I am still trying to catchup.
I keep meaning to do a cold overnight mash, but never do.

NOW's the time. Can someone check my numbers please?

OVN mash.jpg

Mashy,

I've been overnight mashing for a couple of years now with a BM50 and your schedule looks very similar to mine so it should give you no problems apart from the dreaded wort fountains.

These have plagued me over the years and I've tried everything from adjusting the mill gauge to putting jugs of water on the lid to stop the wort spurting out. None of them worked. I did notice however that I tended to have worse fountains with a low OG beer. The less grain there is in the pipe the more the top plate can move up under pressure allowing space for the grain to move aside and let channels form.

A couple of months ago I bought a 400mm stainless tube which fits over the centre rod. I cut this into one 150mm length, two 100mm lengths and one 50mm length to use as spacers. I now fill the pipe, put the top perforated plate on and then push it down with as many spacers as I can, put the bar across the top and screw it down. This keeps the grain tight between the two plates and doesn't allow room for channels to form.

So far (touch wood) when using this approach I've never had another wort fountain.

It has made no difference to mash efficiency.
brugen

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby RobW » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:45 am

mashy wrote:I don't preboil the water or treat cold water with Camden tablet. Ever. Tried preboiling once as proof. Pointless.
Why would you need sterilisation for drinkable water?

Most brewers who preboil and/or use Camden tablets or metabisulphate do it to drive off chlorine or precipitate chloramines which (certainly in Oz) are used widely in potable water supplies.
If you boil the mash water the night before it'll be close to mashin temperature the next morning.

Of course if you have an RO unit or use a well, bottled water or rainwater there's no point.

Cheers

Rob
RobW

Unread postby mashy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:40 am

Brugen.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I think you are onto something there with fountains.
I only ever had it once with 3.5kg grain bill. I immediately fitted a top silicon seal, which makes it a snug fit.
Is it more to do with top plate movement on light grain bill than anything else?
Perhaps the power of the pump vs the light grain bill causes a plate to move more, compacting the grain bed, leading to a build up of pressure.
mashy

Unread postby mashy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:50 am

RobW,

Yes indeed, but it is a bit heavy handed.

Chlorine is a gas. Leaving it in an open vessel will drive it off, so will sunshine. As well heating it. So better might be, to take your water from the hot tap, if your house has a hot tank.... and you get a free hot fill.

Campden tablets leave a taste and elevate the salt content.

I would never consider using the RO unit. Your beer needs the minerals and trace elements these can remove.

Different folks different strokes.
mashy

Unread postby wally » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:55 am

mashy wrote:RobW,

Yes indeed, but it is a bit heavy handed.

Chlorine is a gas. Leaving it in an open vessel will drive it off, so will sunshine. As well heating it. So better might be, to take your water from the hot tap, if your house has a hot tank.... and you get a free hot fill.

Campden tablets leave a taste and elevate the salt content.

I would never consider using the RO unit. Your beer needs the minerals and trace elements these can remove.

Mashy,

I wouldn’t suggest to use hot water from a hot tap. Where I hail from, the hot water services have sacrificial zinc anodes installed to reduce corrosion to the tank. There’s quite a bit of zinc in the water. You only need a small amount for yeast health.

I also use RO water to which I add the required salts for the style I’m brewing.
wally

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mashy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:25 pm

Thats makes sense. Everyone needs to consider there own factors.

mashy

Unread postby aziztan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:04 pm

Overnight Mashers I'm on board!

Mines a day time mash (hyper extended 20c for most of the day, then 68 for 2 hours). I'm skipping the mash out (78c), as it's my first attempt.

Let's see how this works out!

aziztan

PreviousNext

Return to General / Tips and Tricks