Overnight mash

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Overnight mash

Unread postby Onthebrew » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:58 pm

There is quite a lot on overnight mashing but the latest thread I could find was nearly two years ago with the main one being from 2015 as far as I could see.

On the back of the 2016 threads it seemed quite a few people were going to give it a go for the first time. As such I’d be hearing how people got on with it and if they came to any new conclusions? Is it now common practice for you?

My thinking is either set the program for multiple 90 min 20c steps then usual mash schedule to be ready to mash out next morning or just heat the water so ready to mash in next morning.

I spent the last hour looking for threads but couldn’t find a recent one so if I’ve missed it maybe someone could point me in the right direction?
Onthebrew

Model: 20 litres

Overnight mash

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:42 pm

It’s a regular for me, I usually mash starting around 6-7pm and by 9-10pm I leave it running at 78C on manual. I’ve left it for 12-14 hours like this with no problems. I run the BM on auto until mash out temp and then leave it on manual, the following day I pull the malt pipe and boil on manual. Beers always turn out great.

I even split brewday further and no chill saving fermenting for a convenient time, you could say my brewdays are split over 3 days.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Re: Overnight mash

Unread postby Lindh » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:28 am

Overnight mash can be very dangerous if there is a leak or a fontain. If the bm runs dry it will start a fire.
Lindh

Unread postby mashy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:46 am

Is your leccy bill delivered on a truck? :D

Perhaps I have missed your point, but keeping 78c overnight sounds expensive?
mashy

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:29 am

Lindh wrote:Overnight mash can be very dangerous if there is a leak or a fontain. If the bm runs dry it will start a fire.

It's a fair point and I agree there will be a risk. I suppose I should also be unplugging the dehumidifier, battery charger, fridges and anything else that's left running in my garage. I think the risk of fire or flood is relatively small (for me).
BrauTim

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:32 am

mashy wrote:Is your leccy bill delivered on a truck? :D

Perhaps I have missed your point, but keeping 78c overnight sounds expensive?

At 12p per KW, how much extra is it, 3KW maybe? It has a thermal jacket and top cover. I run a spa that maintains itself above 30C most of the time and I don't seem to notice the extra expense, although I must be conditioned to the extra expense after running it for 16 years!

It's not that much extra in the grand scheme of things and for the pleasure it brings :D

The alternative would be to reduce the temp following a mash out period, I just don't see the point.
BrauTim

Unread postby homoeccentricus » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:24 pm

The low oxygen brewers active on this forum are now frantically looking for a plastic bag in which to put their heads in a vain attempt to control that fierce attack of hyperventilation.
homoeccentricus

Unread postby Sladek789 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:35 pm

homoeccentricus wrote:The low oxygen brewers active on this forum are now frantically looking for a plastic bag in which to put their heads in a vain attempt to control that fierce attack of hyperventilation.
:lol: Cannot stop laughing!

Somehow, an hyperventilating low oxygen brewer becomes an high oxygen brewer... :wink:
Sladek789

Unread postby mashy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:03 pm

LOL. (lots)
mashy

Unread postby Everhopfull » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:22 pm

Lindh wrote:. If the bm runs dry it will start a fire.

Ha ha! I remember on my third brew with my second hand 20 litre BM I had set the program to a 15 min mash out. I happened to be watching the screen at the end of the main mash step. The display changed onto the 15minute mash out step, paused for 2 seconds then moved straight onto the boil!. 24 brews later this has never reoccurred BUT you can bet your bottom dollar if I attempted an over night mash............
Everhopfull

Unread postby brugen » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:42 pm

I always do overnight brews. I mash in at 20C and run that for three steps of 180mins each. I then have a 66C step at 180 mins and a 77C step at 180 mins. That's the base approach and I adjust for different step mashes. I get my grain milled at 1.2mm and don't have any wort fountains. I always set a 5l jug of water on the lid in case it does fountain.

9 times out of 10 it works fine. Sometimes I wake up in the morning to to find the control panel re-setting itself frantically.

I always set the boil to 85 C in case there is any misshap.

In the morning I abort the mash and boil on manual.

I wouldn't go back to mashing/boiling in one day
brugen

Unread postby mashy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:26 am

I have tried to shorten the brew day. Making it more efficient and 5 hours really is the minimum. I already weigh the grain and set up the BM & associated paraphernalia the night before.

Overnight mash (holding hot) never appealed.

However.... This idea (holding cold) really gets my vote.

The 85c touch is nice. I have a 5l jug. Never suffer fountains and I have a vintage controller. What's not to like.

I am in. Thank you!
mashy

Unread postby big_o » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:23 am

My version:

1. Brewing area is sub 20c.
2. Load grain and water night before as normal.
3. Plug in unit but leave as is. I setup a program that has a starting mash step temperature of 20C ish, otherwise there is no pump rest whilst the unit gets up to temp and it will fountain.
4. Sleep.
5. Set early ish alarm and activate unit using wifi addon from bed.
6. Get up later with mash complete and finish as normal.

I've done 4 brews like this and all came out great.
big_o

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby Onthebrew » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:52 am

For those that do a manual boil, did you find it was weaker than the corresponding programmed boil? Even at 102 for example. I did when I had to do it once, and I got an explanation from speidal as to why. Can’t remember it off my head but will see if I can dig it out.
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:22 pm

3. Plug in unit but leave as is. I setup a program that has a starting mash step temperature of 20C ish, otherwise there is no pump rest whilst the unit gets up to temp and it will fountain.

Didn't really get your point about lack of pump rests and fountains.

Why would there not be a rest?

Why would the lack of a rest cause a fountain?
Last edited by mashy on Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mashy

Next

Return to General / Tips and Tricks