Poor efficiency

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Poor efficiency

Unread postby mikeschmidt » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:24 pm

I've been making great beer but my efficiency has suffered recently. It use to be in the 70s but lately has been in the 60s.

So either...
* My grain crush has gotten worse - I don't think so
* My mash pH is outside ideal range. I have recently started adjusting my water but if anything the pH should be closer to the ideal range. BrewersFriend usually estimates it between 5.4-5.6.
* My mash schedule is not optimum - I don't think so; I have used same schedule and got higher efficiency
* BeerSmith configuration is messed up and isn't giving me correct targets meaning my efficiency is better that what I calculate
* I'm starting with too much water (25L) and/or rinsing with too much water (4L). I've increased this over time to get 19L into the keg.
* I'm not letting the malt pipe completely drain. It seems done but after I remove the pipe I see 0.5L of wort collect in the tray holding the removed malt pipe.

All of this only matters for 2 reasons
* I would like to rely on BeerSmith calculations when building recipes. This is easily fixed by assuming the lower efficiency ratio.
* I would like option of building bigger beers.

What an I asking?
* Recent updated BeerSmith profile for 20L Braumeister. I use the mobile app which has no option to import.
* Any thoughts on my list of things to check? Is anything missing?
mikeschmidt

Model: 20 litres

Re: Poor efficiency

Unread postby aziztan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:29 pm

Are you using a hydrometer? The paper inside can move around. This happened to me when I checked it with water and found it was reading .960 instead of 1.000

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
aziztan

Unread postby mikeschmidt » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:34 pm

I have both a hydrometer and refractometer. For last reading of OG both showed the same 1.050.
mikeschmidt

Unread postby mashy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:13 am

Can you check back against your previous brews? Is something different? Have you changed grain supplier? Old grain? Water? Iodine test?
mashy

Unread postby tcncc » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:16 am

I brewed this weekend, and my milling was to fine. That caused the grain to form a plug in the malt pipe, so there was a poor flow. I paused the mashing and stirred, that really helped.
I manage to bump up my yield from useally around 80-85 % to 95 %.

tcncc
tcncc

Unread postby mashy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:04 am

Is your top disc free to move?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2773
mashy

Unread postby tcncc » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:39 am

mashy wrote:Is your top disc free to move?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2773

Im using Bacbrewing disc: http://www.bacbrewing.com/Yield-increase-disk-BM20

tcncc
tcncc

Unread postby mikeschmidt » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:13 am

I buy supplies from 2 online suppliers but haven't kept track of efficiency based on where material came from. I can say the last few have come from same supplier and the efficiency has been poor.

I was going to buy next batch of grain precrushed so I could compare to my own crush. Maybe I buy also from other supplier to see if it matters. I'm also visiting a local brewery soon for a tour. I'll ask where they buy their grain.

Regarding my plates. I just use the standard setup so they are free to move up/down with flow.
mikeschmidt

Unread postby mashy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:22 pm

I'm also visiting a local brewery soon for a tour. I'll ask where they buy their grain.

Good call.

I have had trouble with suppliers in the past, with old stock. I now buy the freshest precrushed and store it myself.
mashy

Unread postby Onthebrew » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:31 pm

mashy wrote:
I'm also visiting a local brewery soon for a tour. I'll ask where they buy their grain.

Good call.

I have had trouble with suppliers in the past, with old stock. I now buy the freshest precrushed and store it myself.

That would be good . How you can ensure it’s the freshest, ie know the dates etc if it’s precrushed?
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:23 pm

If you purchase from brewery suppliers you know they have the throughput (and the details). Unlike some HBS.
mashy

Unread postby mikeschmidt » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:25 pm

mashy wrote:If you purchase from brewery suppliers you know they have the throughput (and the details). Unlike some HBS.

My thought exactly.
mikeschmidt

Unread postby Edward » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:36 pm

mashy wrote:Can you check back against your previous brews? Is something different? Have you tried phenq changed grain supplier? Old grain? Water? Iodine test?

Also check the fermentation process carefully. :)
Edward

Return to General / Tips and Tricks