IPA brewing, large amount of pellet hops, work process

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

IPA brewing, large amount of pellet hops, work process

Unread postby joostdb » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:41 pm

I am brewing a lot of heavily hopped IPA's, loads of late hop additions, etc. Only using pellets. I am trying to recover as much beer are possible into the fermentor.

I am currently adding irish moss at 15min and then letting all the trub settle for around 30min once the beer is cooled down to fermentation temperatures. I then pour out the wort, slowly tilting the BM at the end to try to arouse the hops as little as possible. I am still loosing around 3-5 L of wort depending on how many hops are used and how smoothly this operation goes :).

Has anyone found a better tried and tested method?

I am considering dumping the whole lot into my conical and just dumping out the trub after it settles for a couple of hours, although this would lengthen brew day considerably.

Another option is getting the new BM hop screen and tying on some 300micron SS mesh...
joostdb

Model: 50 litres

Re: IPA brewing, large amount of pellet hops, work process

Unread postby joostdb » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:59 pm

To note, I am not a fan of hop spiders or bags, as I feel the hops should be floating around in the entire volume of the mash during the boil and particularly 0min and hopstand additions....
joostdb

Unread postby Nath83 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:39 am

Other than what you're doing, I'd probably be looking at running the wort through a swiss voile cloth into the FV. It won't capture the break material, but it should get most of the hops.
Nath83

Unread postby niels » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:19 am

You can make a combined dip tube and hop filter like BrauTim did: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62

Another option is to make a siphon with a filter like this:

siphon_filter.jpg
siphon_filter.jpg (11.14 KiB) Viewed 487 times

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Return to General / Tips and Tricks