Sparging

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Sparging

Unread postby Onthebrew » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:28 am

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=282&start=30

Been reading the post linked above with interest. Currently I don't sparge and never have. But As I top up with 4 or 5 litres of bottled water anyway I am thinking I may as well use the water to rinse the grains.

The only thing that's stopped me doing this before is being hung up about it needs to be 78c and also treating the ph.

The thread above seems to indicate I don't need to worry about that. In fact by adding top water through grain it will actually warm it up so will get a quicker boil.

That thread was quite old so wondered if anyone had anything new to add.
Onthebrew

Model: 20 litres

Re: Sparging

Unread postby mashy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:58 am

IMO not wort (see what I did there) the hassle. You know I top up after boil to final volume.
Your spring water might be better in the fridge - that way it could assist with (shorten) chilling time.
mashy

Unread postby Onthebrew » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:11 am

haha- i was waiting for the top up the FV advice!

wouldn't there be contamination issues? with respect to not boiling the water first?

if not, that good point about reducing chilling time.
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:22 pm

If you are happy to drink the stuff, why would you think it is contaminated if you top up your FV?

No risk. I have been topping up with tap for years. Never a problem.

After boiling and chilling, got are following the same process as winemakers. They do not jabber on about contamination continually, because yeast has cleansing effect. Which is why our ancestors drank the wine & beer but not the water!

Sorry ranted a bit, but this addiction to hyper-hygiene does get my goat.
mashy

Unread postby Onthebrew » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:08 pm

just thought everything cold side needed to be sanitised.

To be honest its the one thing about brewing thats a bit of a drag- Sanitising everything repeatedly, then putting it down and having to sanitise it again. i am getting used to it now though.
Onthebrew

Unread postby mashy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:35 pm

Cleanliness is enough sanitizing all the time is not necessary.

Keep a clean bucket to hand and put anything you put down in that, or hang out on the lip or handles.

I do not own sanitizer. I have never bought any. I have never had an infection. But I do practise good cleanliness.
mashy

Unread postby Tipsy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:26 pm

Onthebrew wrote:To be honest its the one thing about brewing thats a bit of a drag- Sanitising everything repeatedly, then putting it down and having to sanitise it again.

I put my Starsan or iodophor in a little spray bottle, takes 2 seconds to spray something and costs 3 fifths of FA.

I've made around 150 batches and had 3 infections and i was miserable when I tipped them out....why take the chance?
Tipsy

Unread postby Tipsy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:29 pm

And to keep on topic, I must be about the only one that sparges around here.
I tried full volume mashes a whirl but it suits me better to sparge. I sparge with water straight from my hot water service. :cheers:
Tipsy

Unread postby Lindh » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:34 am

[quote="Tipsy"]
I put my Starsan or iodophor in a little spray bottle, takes 2 seconds to spray something and costs 3 fifths of FA.[/

Iodophor is poisonous so you really need to rinse afterwards, not like Starsan!
Lindh

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Onthebrew » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:40 am

Tipsy, any reason I shouldn't sparge ( well just pour it over) with my top up water cold, as opposed to pouring it in separate?
Onthebrew

Unread postby wally » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:46 am

Lindh wrote:
Iodophor is poisonous so you really need to rinse afterwards, not like Starsan!

It's my understanding that iodophor is non rinse, if used at the recommended concentration; however I understand why you may not wish to ingest it.
wally

Unread postby Lindh » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:16 am

The iodine "should" all convert to gas when the equipment dries but does it really? Iodine i small concentrations are ok (a component in salt here in Sweden to prevent uptake of radiation) but the iodine starch conversion test is enough to be poisonous. The homebrew shops here have stopped selling jodofor (iodine cleaner) in favour of starsan and saniclean which are phosphoric acid based just like coca cola.
Lindh

Unread postby johnrm » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:05 pm

Full volume mash/no sparge will push your mash pH up.
I'm not an expert on pH, but it is on my list of learning. As I understand your mash conversion is better at a pH of 5.2 to 5.6
Some light reading here...
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... _the_grist
johnrm

Unread postby Onthebrew » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:48 am

I wouldn't have thought the sparge would affect mash PH, because you sparge after the Mash and all conversion has been done It may affect boil ph however.

so unless anyone tells me otherwise i am just going to add my 5 litres of top up water by pouring over the suspended malt pipe next time.
Onthebrew

Unread postby Tipsy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:48 am

Onthebrew wrote:Tipsy, any reason I shouldn't sparge ( well just pour it over) with my top up water cold, as opposed to pouring it in separate?

I have also done the "cold sparge" and it seemed to work fine for me, I haven't compared it with gravity readings though. (I don't chase a high s.g.)

I would continue to cold sparge but I have an instant hot water service in my shed so it just makes sense to use it.
Tipsy

Next

Return to General / Tips and Tricks