20l Short Malt Pipe

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: 20l Short Malt Pipe

Unread postby wobdee » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:13 am

The more I think about this the more I think of just cutting my already modified 20l malt pipe in half instead of paying $160 it would cost me for a new one. Maybe cut it so it's a couple cm taller so I have a little extra room for more grain.
wobdee

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby wobdee » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:06 pm

Well i ended up purchasing the short malt pipe. So far I've done 3 batches and the max amount of malt I used was just under 3kg of straight Vienna malt with the top plate upside down. I crush right into the malt pipe then lower it by hoist into about 19l water which floods the pipe by a couple cm.

3kg looks to be pretty close to max for me, maybe a finer crush would give a little more room? My mill is currently at 1.1mm, thinking of going back down to a smidgen under 1mm. May also help with efficiency drop im seeing with a coarser crush.

Once the new Speidel low oxygen kit is available over here I'll probably purchase that as well.
wobdee

Unread postby mashy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:51 pm

3kg will be pretty close to max. 6Kg is about tops for the full size malt pipe.

wobdee wrote: .... I crush right into the malt pipe then lower it by hoist into about 19l water which floods the pipe by a couple cm.

Are you running a pipe inside to guide the center post?
mashy

Unread postby wobdee » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:28 pm

mashy wrote:3kg will be pretty close to max. 6Kg is about tops for the full size malt pipe.

wobdee wrote: .... I crush right into the malt pipe then lower it by hoist into about 19l water which floods the pipe by a couple cm.

Are you running a pipe inside to guide the center post?

Yes, i use a piece of PVC pipe as a sleeve to help guide over the center post and remove it after lowering a bit then place the top screens and lower the malt pipe to the bottom slowly.
wobdee

Unread postby mashy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:21 pm

I have thought about filling the 20 standard malt pipe externally and then lowering it in. Thought is might be cleaner & quicker?
mashy

Unread postby wobdee » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:09 pm

mashy wrote:I have thought about filling the 20 standard malt pipe externally and then lowering it in. Thought is might be cleaner & quicker?

Yes, it is a cleaner proccess but i dont think quicker. Mainly i do this for LODO reasons, its similar to underletting the mash with minimal O2 pickup. I'll lower it down until about half the grains are submerged, wait a few minutes for them to soak up water then lower it the rest of the way, wait for a few minutes again then start the mash. No stirring and I dough in at 55c to help keep down possible dough balls.
wobdee

Previous

Return to General / Tips and Tricks