20l Short Malt Pipe

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: 20l Short Malt Pipe

Unread postby homoeccentricus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:06 pm

mashy wrote:On the Lodo thing.... Would flooding with co2, below removing the malt pipe help?

I have a silicone mash cap that floats on the wort (again, wort needs to be higher than malt pipe). I've been thinking of a way to put a gas out line from my kegs underneath the lid of the BM, and have CO2 flow at a very low rate during mashing to keep oxygen out. But I haven't found a way yet insulate lid + line so no oxygen can enter. Any suggestions?
homoeccentricus

Unread postby Mashman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:40 pm

Surely the positive pressure of the CO2 would prevent ingress of O2 ?
Mashman

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby mashy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:03 am

homoeccentricus wrote:
mashy wrote:On the Lodo thing.... Would flooding with co2, before removing the malt pipe help?

I have a silicone mash cap that floats on the wort (again, wort needs to be higher than malt pipe). I've been thinking of a way to put a gas out line from my kegs underneath the lid of the BM, and have CO2 flow at a very low rate during mashing to keep oxygen out. But I haven't found a way yet insulate lid + line so no oxygen can enter. Any suggestions?

Not sure I understand why you need to insulate lid. Put the line in. CO2 is heavier than air it will settle in the void above the wort. Or use dry ice in a floating tray ...might be easier.
mashy

Unread postby homoeccentricus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:59 am

mashy wrote:CO2 is heavier than air it will settle in the void above the wort.

If it worked like that we would all suffocate, no? :)
homoeccentricus

Unread postby wobdee » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:21 pm

I'm not sure on the Co2 flush, it may help some but wouldn't it just mix with the O2? I don't think it would just leave a Co2 blanket over the grain?

I already modified my malt pipe with holes half way up so I'm pretty much screwed if I decide to sell it later on but I also got my BM second hand at half price so I'm not too worried about resale.

What kind of SMB doses are you guys using that are brewing lodo? I started out at 100mg/liter then dropped down to 75 then 60. I've also tried a trifecta of SMB, Ascorbic Acid and Brewtan B.

When you flood the malt pipe how are you guys removing the extra water and returning it after mixing in the grains without pouring it back and splashing? One of the reasons I was thinking of cutting the center rod down is so I can get a pitcher down in there close to remove and pour back water without splashing.
wobdee

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:41 pm

I just bought some Antioxin SBT. I'm planning to use 2g for a 20L batch per the instructions but I'm waiting for some advice from the guys over on the German Brewing Forum.

In terms of returning wort back to the BM once the malt pipe is out, I boil the wort and return it by pouring into a funnel with a tube attached that lies below the liquid level in the BM (I let the first bit of wort drain off into another vessel to flood the tube, pinch the tube and slide it below the liquid level). Pretty straightforward really
Dr Jacoby

Unread postby wobdee » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:57 pm

Nice idea with the funnel. I'll give that a try instead of cutting the center rod.

I've heard some people have had success with SBT. I can't buy it around here so I ended up mixing up my own.
wobdee

Unread postby wobdee » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:04 pm

Dr Jacoby wrote:
wobdee wrote:Also, if I do this I'll cut the center rod down flush with the short malt pipe since I don't need it for larger batches. This would also help with installing a mash cap for better O2 control.

You could drill a whole in the mash cap and fit a grommet to allow you to slide the cap down to liquid level. Might give you more flexibility in the long run.

I'm working on some lodo mods myself. The main issue i can see is removing the malt pipe slowly to allow liquid to drain without splashing. If i can hold it in place so that the bottom of the pipe is just below the liquid level I reckon that should do the trick.

Pulley system maybe? I just hold mine for a few minutes then transfer to a bucket to let it drain naturally then return that wort to the boil when there's no O2 present. I get maybe a liter at most in the bucket after 30 or so minutes.
wobdee

Unread postby mashy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:58 pm

homoeccentricus wrote:

Yes they do. It is is a well established health and safety issue for breweries and winerys.
mashy

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:59 pm

Would like to rig up a hoist but it's a bit beyond me at the moment.

Wouldn't the litre in the bucket be stale by the time it was added back into the main batch? Maybe a small quantity like that doesn't matter though?
Dr Jacoby

Unread postby wobdee » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:12 pm

Dr Jacoby wrote:Would like to rig up a hoist but it's a bit beyond me at the moment.

Wouldn't the litre in the bucket be stale by the time it was added back into the main batch? Maybe a small quantity like that doesn't matter though?

Not exactly sure but my thinking is the left over antioxidants from the mash should help protect it some
wobdee

Unread postby homoeccentricus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:55 pm

wobdee wrote:What kind of SMB doses are you guys using that are brewing lodo? I started out at 100mg/liter then dropped down to 75 then 60. I've also tried a trifecta of SMB, Ascorbic Acid and Brewtan B.

My next brew will use Whitbread yeast, Wyeast 1099, and I fear this English yeast might throw sulfur, so I will use 0.6 g/10 liters of antioxin sbt in the mash.
homoeccentricus

Unread postby homoeccentricus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:57 pm

wobdee wrote:When you flood the malt pipe how are you guys removing the extra water and returning it after mixing in the grains without pouring it back and splashing? One of the reasons I was thinking of cutting the center rod down is so I can get a pitcher down in there close to remove and pour back water without splashing.

I don't have a good solution yet. But obviously I will remove water that has been preboiled and that already contains antioxin, so hopefully will be not too bad. Using a funnel might be a good idea.
homoeccentricus

Unread postby homoeccentricus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:59 pm

mashy wrote:
homoeccentricus wrote:

Yes they do. It is is a well established health and safety issue for breweries and winerys.

It'll be a mixture of CO2 and air. A pure CO2 blanket simply by gravity does not exist in my humble opinion.
homoeccentricus

Unread postby mashy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:01 am

Dry ice is better because there is less mixing as the concentration builds up.

Done properly a pure CO2 environment is possible.
mashy

PreviousNext

Return to General / Tips and Tricks