20l Short Malt Pipe

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

20l Short Malt Pipe

Unread postby wobdee » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:34 pm

Could someone give me the dimensions of the short malt pipe? Also wondering the max amount of grain? Thanks
wobdee

Model: 20 litres

Re: 20l Short Malt Pipe

Unread postby wobdee » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks Hans. According to that thread the short malt pipe is either 18 or 23cm, which is it?

I'm looking to brew 12 liter full volume no sparge batches with it. I figured the short pipe would have to be submerged for this just curious how much. You pretty much answered that question, thanks again.
wobdee

Unread postby wobdee » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:01 pm

So I asked Morebeer to measure and it's 18cm, roughly half the size of the original pipe which makes sense.
wobdee

Unread postby kahobro » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:48 am

You want to end up with 12 l of wort? You can indeed do this but the malt pipe will indeed be fully submerged and you will have to let out some water and add it back after mashing in.
kahobro

Unread postby wobdee » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:17 pm

kahobro wrote:You want to end up with 12 l of wort? You can indeed do this but the malt pipe will indeed be fully submerged and you will have to let out some water and add it back after mashing in.

Yep, 11-12l to the fermenter, 10 to the keg is about what I do now with a modified 20l pipe (holes drilled around it about 25cm up). The thing I don't like about my modified pipe is the waterfall effect of the wort flowing over and splashing down into the other side. This concerns me because I'm into the low O2 thing and I'm trying to tighten up my system to keep O2 out. Flooding the short malt pipe would eliminate the splashing and O2 pickup.

I usually brew 1.050 +- OG gravity lagers and an occasional 1.060 brew so maybe 2.5-3kg of grain may be pushing that? With my current efficiency the most grain I use is 3.2kg for a 1.060 Marzen. I see you turn over the top plate to maximize your amount of grain, what's the most you've been able to mash with? How is your efficiencies with the short pipe?
wobdee

Unread postby kahobro » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:30 pm

3.5 kg is doable, I don't see differences in efficiency. For me SG influences efficiency more than normal or small malt pipe (high SG: more sugar remains in wort).

With 3.5 kg you need to stir more to achieve a high efficiency. If you flood the malt pipe this is a challenge!
kahobro

Unread postby wobdee » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks Hans, I've never stirred before and still achieving around 80% efficiency so hoping it won't drop. I guess I'll just have to see, even a small drop in efficiency wouldn't matter much since it would probably just be another handful of grain with these smaller batches.
wobdee

Unread postby wobdee » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:39 pm

Also, if I do this I'll cut the center rod down flush with the short malt pipe since I don't need it for larger batches. This would also help with installing a mash cap for better O2 control.
wobdee

Unread postby Dr Jacoby » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:00 pm

wobdee wrote:Also, if I do this I'll cut the center rod down flush with the short malt pipe since I don't need it for larger batches. This would also help with installing a mash cap for better O2 control.

You could drill a whole in the mash cap and fit a grommet to allow you to slide the cap down to liquid level. Might give you more flexibility in the long run.

I'm working on some lodo mods myself. The main issue i can see is removing the malt pipe slowly to allow liquid to drain without splashing. If i can hold it in place so that the bottom of the pipe is just below the liquid level I reckon that should do the trick.
Dr Jacoby

Unread postby mashy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:50 am

wobdee wrote:Also, if I do this I'll cut the center rod down flush with the short malt pipe since I don't need it for larger batches. This would also help with installing a mash cap for better O2 control.

DON'T CUT THE ROD DOWN.

BM's are expensive. You will always be able to sell it if you move away from the hobby. Cutting the centre rod in half will seriously harm its value.
mashy

Unread postby mashy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:54 am

On the Lodo thing.... Would flooding with co2, before removing the malt pipe help?
Last edited by mashy on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
mashy

Unread postby kahobro » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:08 am

mashy wrote:

DON'T CUT THE ROD DOWN.

BM's are expensive. You will always be able to sell it if you move away from the hobby. Cutting the centre rod in half will seriously harm its value.

I agree completely. Besides you don't know how you feel about bigger batches in a year from now. Maybe there will be a year or years you can't or don't want to brew as often and you might brew a couple of proven recipes in big batches to keep a pipeline.

Hans
kahobro

Unread postby homoeccentricus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:06 pm

I also brew lodo with the 10L malt pipe, and make sure that the wort level is higher than the top of the pipe. When doughing in I drain some liters and add them again a bit later. This seriously limits the maximum gravity of the beers you can make, but I don't mind. One piece of advice: don't try to cram too much malt in the pipe. I did that once, and the malt started getting into the wort. The first thing that went wrong in my Clnsterfnck APA, which in the end turned out to be pretty nice. I think BM recommends not to go above 2.8 kg of malt. I don't go higher than 2.5 kg anymore.
homoeccentricus

Unread postby kahobro » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:49 pm

With the top plate upside down I always use 3 kg of malt and 13l water, then stirring ia possible. The desired SG determines the end volume I brew (I sparge). For the normal malt pipe I decide how much (and which SG) I want to brew and adjust from there.

Edit: Needed to make the post readable
kahobro

Next

Return to General / Tips and Tricks