No sparging ...

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: No sparging ...

Unread postby Nesto » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:43 pm

Avispartner wrote:So I have started to prepare my yeast starter today and will have my next brew day in a good weeks' time.

I am tempted to try a non-sparging process. Does that mean, I will just add those 2.99l of sparging water mentioned in my above recipe to the initial mashing water and that's it?

Yup, pretty much! Follow Lylo's instructions: viewtopic.php?t=236#p2480

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby BrauTim » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:16 am

bruulog wrote:If you get fountains, stop - mix the grains again and continue.
I try to use as little water as possible for the mash in 50 l BM.
Has anyone attempted 30 l 7 kg in 50 l without the short malt-pipe and then sparge with 25 l water.
Less water helps to bring out the malt taste and this is what I like to achieve in my English bitters.

What efficiency are you getting with this technique ?
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby bruulog » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:23 pm

80% but this is for low and medium OG and this is what I usually brew.
For a Imperial Stout I only got 76% with 15 kg of grain
I always sparge because it makes no sense to leave all that good stuff for the garbage can.
For sparging, I have a small hot water pump (€ 16? ) and 27 l electric pot. I sue STC-1000 to keep the sparge water at proper temperature.
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Unread postby Cervantes » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:53 am

Well I brewed my first "No Sparge" batch today.

I like it. It simplified the process and meant that for the first time in ages I did a single pot brew with no boiler for the sparge water.

It was only 30 litres of water and 4 kg of malt, the wort level was pretty well exactly at the top of the malt pipe, so didn't need my silicone glove for this one.

I'll definitely be doing this a lot more in the future.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:55 am

Cervantes wrote:Well I brewed my first "No Sparge" batch today.

I like it. It simplified the process and meant that for the first time in ages I did a single pot brew with no boiler for the sparge water.

It was only 30 litres of water and 4 kg of malt, the wort level was pretty well exactly at the top of the malt pipe, so didn't need my silicone glove for this one.

I'll definitely be doing this a lot more in the future.

I feel that there will eventually be a revolution Andy.

:lol: :lol:

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby OldScotchAle » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:20 am

Yep. I tried it and liked it too. I don't think I'm leaving much sugar in the spent grain at all.
OldScotchAle

Unread postby paulg » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:58 pm

I regularly use no sparge on my 1.035 - 1.055 og beers and get about 78% brewhouse efficiency according to beersmith. Thats ok for me
paulg

Unread postby Wezzel » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:41 pm

I have to sparge with my 20l BM or else I only get about 17 litres into the FV. Perhaps if I had the 50l version I may not bother. I could just top up with water but if I'm going to do that I may as well pour it over the malt pipe.
Wezzel

Unread postby mattp94 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:22 pm

Wezzel wrote:I have to sparge with my 20l BM or else I only get about 17 litres into the FV. Perhaps if I had the 50l version I may not bother. I could just top up with water but if I'm going to do that I may as well pour it over the malt pipe.

How much water are you starting with? I find 30 litres gives me around 20-21 litres into the fv.
mattp94

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby Wezzel » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:58 pm

I usually treat about 30 litres, then drain about 4 litres out for sparging so the malt pipe is not submerged during the mash.
Wezzel

Unread postby Cervantes » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:57 am

Wezzel wrote:I usually treat about 30 litres, then drain about 4 litres out for sparging so the malt pipe is not submerged during the mash.

Wezzel,

The whole deal with this no sparging method is that the malt pipe is submerged during the mash.You mash with the full volume of water for your recipe.

Other than having to dip your hand into hot wort (Or drain some wort off) to remove the wingnut and malt pipe, it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects on the mash process.

It took me a while to get on board with this, but now that I have done it once, I'll definitely be doing it again.
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Wezzel » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:21 pm

Ah, thanks Cervantes. Now it makes sense. Still not sure about doing it though.

I would need to draw water off before adding the malt so I'm still inclined to rinse with it rather than add it back before mashing. Maybe I'll try it one day!
Wezzel

Unread postby Cervantes » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:23 am

Wezzel wrote:I would need to draw water off before adding the malt so I'm still inclined to rinse with it rather than add it back before mashing. Maybe I'll try it one day!

That's true. I just drew off the water down to the top mark on the central rod into a clean bucket, added the malt pipe and malt, and then tipped the water back in. Not a big deal really.
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby bruulog » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:52 pm

Guys at the brew shop got a new malt mill and efficiency crawled like a spider.
I ran out of sparge water and then had to top off the boil to keep OG as low as I wanted. Still ended up throwing away about 2 litres of wort at the end because it did not fit in to my 50 l fermenter.

Sparging + good malt mill gives you over 87% efficiency.
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:54 pm

I'm using No Sparge for a while. Mill 1.1mm, conditioned grain. Great Mash, no problems at all. At the end, lift the malt pipe and let it drain in a bucket.
Mash Eff: 80% ( Beersmith)
Brewhouse Eff: 70% (Beersmith).
For a grain bill (Pilsen, Munich and Wheat) of 6kg I'm getting 21L with OG 1.058.

Learned that Eff. numbers are highly dependent on the volume measurement accuracy.
Furthermore, Brewhouse Eff (at least in Beersmith) depends on the Trub loss number. Mine is 4L with an immersion chiller (final temperature 10C).
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

PreviousNext

Return to General / Tips and Tricks