No sparging ...

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: No sparging ...

Unread postby cpa4ny » Tue May 27, 2014 7:41 am

BrauTim wrote:
I am of the opinion that a traditional sparge is not what we are really doing with the BM, we are just washing and draining the grains of the sugars that are 'stuck' amongst the grain particles and husk, a traditional sparge could take 1 hour or more.

I used the word "sparge" loosely - technically speaking, you are absolutely correct :beer:

Nesto wrote:
So why not pour that top up water through the grain bed in my malt pipe? If I can get any extra sugars with a tiny extra effort, I'll give it a shot.

+1 - fully agree :beer:

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Lylo » Tue May 27, 2014 1:23 pm

Cervantes wrote:
Nesto wrote:I have added water to top up for the volume I want to hit. So why not pour that top up water through the grain bed in my malt pipe? If I can get any extra sugars with a tiny extra effort, I'll give it a shot.

As an old BIABer and Pat Hollingdale disciple, we always adhered to the principal that the top up water that you use is more efficiently used if it is employed for the duration of the mash rather than just as a rinse.
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby Nesto » Tue May 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Lylo wrote:
Cervantes wrote:
Nesto wrote:I have added water to top up for the volume I want to hit. So why not pour that top up water through the grain bed in my malt pipe? If I can get any extra sugars with a tiny extra effort, I'll give it a shot.

As an old BIABer and Pat Hollingdale disciple, we always adhered to the principal that the top up water that you use is more efficiently used if it is employed for the duration of the mash rather than just as a rinse.

I would certainly do that if my malt pipe weren't completely submerged for the mash. I know the system will work ok like that. I just don't want to handle the wing nut, hold down bow and support stirrup under 78C wort :)

Unread postby Cervantes » Tue May 27, 2014 9:34 pm

Lylo wrote:As an old BIABer and Pat Hollingdale disciple, we always adhered to the principal that the top up water that you use is more efficiently used if it is employed for the duration of the mash rather than just as a rinse.

Which is great if you have the room in the pot.

But if not then rinsing/sparging has to be a good second best.

Sorry, just realised that this is basically a repeat of Nesto's post.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Lylo » Tue May 27, 2014 11:33 pm

Nesto wrote:I would certainly do that if my malt pipe weren't completely submerged for the mash. I know the system will work ok like that. I just don't want to handle the wing nut, hold down bow and support stirrup under 78C wort :)

Not a problem with silicone gloves.
Lylo

Unread postby whitegoose » Fri May 30, 2014 1:39 am

I actually find for a lot of my brews in my 20L BM I *need* to sparge just to get the right final volume (without being over-full during the mash).

Typical brew for me is:
- 25L mash water (I understand this is about the highest starting volume the 20L can take?)
- 5-ish kg of grain - gives me about 21-ish L of wort (I seem to have a higher grain absorbtion ratio than everyone else on this forum!)
- sparge with 7L - gets me up to 28L for the boil
- 90 minute boil - brings me down to 24-ish litres at the end of the boil

Without sparging I'd either be brewing really small batches or, I think, over-filling the mash...
whitegoose

Unread postby Lylo » Fri May 30, 2014 4:36 am

That is what we are talking about. Over filling. Using the full volume of water in the vessel.
These are the steps that I use.
Fill the BM with the volume of water I calculate I will need.
Heat to dough in temp.
drain down to about 25l.
Dough in.
Refill the BM with water with the water that you drained off. This will be close to the top of the vessel
Mash as usual.
Carefully remove the hold down nut and bar.( I use silicone glove for this)
Remove malt pipe and set aside to drain.
Start ramping to boil.
Pour draining into boil and proceed as usual.
Lylo

Unread postby jervell » Fri May 30, 2014 5:14 am

Nesto wrote:I should post my checklist sometime - you guys will get a kick out of just how persnickety someone can be.

If you would, Nesto, then I for one would find that very interesting. I'm a bit of a nitpicker and also pretty new to brewing in general (have about 10 batches under my belt). Would love to peek at your list to gain some insight & inspiration.
jervell

Unread postby Cervantes » Fri May 30, 2014 5:18 am

Lylo,

Just to recap, what exactly are the advantages of using this no sparge method?

Do you find an improvement in Mash efficiency?

Is it purely for the convenience of not having to sparge?

I did re-read the thread, but didn't quite get to the reason why.
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Nesto » Fri May 30, 2014 6:18 am

jervell wrote:
Nesto wrote:I should post my checklist sometime - you guys will get a kick out of just how persnickety someone can be.

If you would, Nesto, then I for one would find that very interesting. I'm a bit of a nitpicker and also pretty new to brewing in general (have about 10 batches under my belt). Would love to peek at your list to gain some insight & inspiration.

Just did. Hope y'all enjoy a peek into my world ;)

Unread postby whitegoose » Fri May 30, 2014 6:35 am

Lylo wrote:That is what we are talking about. Over filling. Using the full volume of water in the vessel.
These are the steps that I use.
Fill the BM with the volume of water I calculate I will need.
Heat to dough in temp.
drain down to about 25l.
Dough in.
Refill the BM with water with the water that you drained off. This will be close to the top of the vessel
Mash as usual.
Carefully remove the hold down nut and bar.( I use silicone glove for this)
Remove malt pipe and set aside to drain.
Start ramping to boil.
Pour draining into boil and proceed as usual.

Haha yeah I know what you're talking about - I'm from a BIAB background which is full volume brewing - but the trick with BIAB is that there is no pump to circulate the mash and no malt pipe...

So when you brew exactly as you've stated above, is the wort level above the top of the malt pipe? Is that why you need the gloves to get the nut undone? I always assumed that would be a problem, but maybe not so much? Does the pump cope?

I might give it a go one time to see if I do get better efficiency - i guess the fact that the grain:water ratio is lower could mean an increase in efficiency, but rinsing the grains would also get extra sugars out... might come down to whether I want to burn my fingers.
whitegoose

Unread postby Lylo » Fri May 30, 2014 1:00 pm

You will gain some efficiency without the rinse! This is something we learn in BIAB, when the " rinse" water is used in the mash, it is the same or better than using it after because it has been in contact with the grain for longer. This is a concept that people have a hard time with I know, but it is true.
Use the full volume, then just drain!!
P.S.
Yes the mash volume is well over the height of the malt tube. About 1" from top of the BM.
Lylo

Unread postby Cervantes » Fri May 30, 2014 10:00 pm

I'm going to give this a try.

Would also mean that I don't have to run a second boiler for heating the sparge/rinse water.

It ill be interesting to compare the mash efficiency with what I am currently getting.
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Lylo » Fri May 30, 2014 11:18 pm

I've only done it twice but really like the method.
Lylo

Unread postby Dicko » Fri May 30, 2014 11:42 pm

Lylo wrote:I've only done it twice but really like the method.

So Lylo, was there any difference in efficiencies in the two brews you did full volume to what you were achieving with a small sparge?
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

PreviousNext

Return to General / Tips and Tricks