No sparging ...

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

No sparging ...

Unread postby Lac » Sat May 10, 2014 5:37 pm

Have today brewed one clone of "Theakston's Old Peruliar" and decided to try to brew it without sparge, usually I use approx. 32 liters of water which 5 liters is to sparge with but this time I use it all to mash with, it could just be there by 5.3 kg malt so there was 2 cm. to the edge of Braumeisteren. I was a little worried about the temperature at the top but it fits well with the temperature at the bottom so that good recirculation though I use a lot of water to mash with. A small problem arose when I had to loosen so I could lift the mash pipe out, 73 degrees hot wort is hot, so I tapped around. 2 liters of so it was free. The efficiency was 72% and it fits very well with what I normally do.
Lac

Model: 20 litres

Re: No sparging ...

Unread postby niels » Sat May 10, 2014 6:37 pm

Did you sparge the malt pipe in e.g. a bucket to save the remaining wort for starters?

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby BrauTim » Sat May 10, 2014 7:23 pm

Lac wrote:Have today brewed one clone of "Theakston's Old Peruliar" and decided to try to brew it without sparge, usually I use approx. 32 liters of water which 5 liters is to sparge with but this time I use it all to mash with, it could just be there by 5.3 kg malt so there was 2 cm. to the edge of Braumeisteren. I was a little worried about the temperature at the top but it fits well with the temperature at the bottom so that good recirculation though I use a lot of water to mash with. A small problem arose when I had to loosen so I could lift the mash pipe out, 73 degrees hot wort is hot, so I tapped around. 2 liters of so it was free. The efficiency was 72% and it fits very well with what I normally do.

No sparging is a recognised technique for reducing any tannins that could be extracted through the sparging process :cheers:

Would you like to share your Old Peculiar recipe?

:beer:
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby Lylo » Sat May 10, 2014 8:34 pm

So Lac, you brewed with the wort well above the malt pipe?
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby Lac » Sat May 10, 2014 9:52 pm

niels wrote:Did you sparge the malt pipe in e.g. a bucket to save the remaining wort for starters?

Niels

I sparge not, I used all the water to the mash with but I probably could have saved a little for a "starter"
Lac

Unread postby Lac » Sat May 10, 2014 10:01 pm

Lylo wrote:So Lac, you brewed with the wort well above the malt pipe?

Yes, malt pipe was completely covered.
Lac

Unread postby Lac » Sat May 10, 2014 10:18 pm

BrauTim wrote:Would you like to share your Old Peculiar recipe?
:beer:

Yes of course, I have put it up under "recipe for Theakston's Old Peruliar"
Lac

Unread postby Dicko » Sun May 11, 2014 12:43 am

Lac wrote:Have today brewed one clone of "Theakston's Old Peruliar" and decided to try to brew it without sparge, usually I use approx. 32 liters of water which 5 liters is to sparge with but this time I use it all to mash with, it could just be there by 5.3 kg malt so there was 2 cm. to the edge of Braumeisteren. I was a little worried about the temperature at the top but it fits well with the temperature at the bottom so that good recirculation though I use a lot of water to mash with. A small problem arose when I had to loosen so I could lift the mash pipe out, 73 degrees hot wort is hot, so I tapped around. 2 liters of so it was free. The efficiency was 72% and it fits very well with what I normally do.

I have been considering giving this a go at sometime.

When you dough in did you just use say 25 litres of water, fit the malt pipe and then add the remaining water or did you have all the water in the kettle and work submerged so to speak to fit the hold down tube and wing nut?
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Lac » Sun May 11, 2014 7:00 am

Dicko wrote:When you dough in did you just use say 25 litres of water, fit the malt pipe and then add the remaining water or did you have all the water in the kettle and work submerged so to speak to fit the hold down tube and wing nut?

I started to heat all 32 liters of water up to 40 degrees, then tapped down to 26 liter mark and then I added malt and malt pipe, put the malt pipe fixed and poured the rest of the water back. The reason I drew water of was that I did not know how much water and malt filled.
Lac

Unread postby Lylo » Fri May 16, 2014 12:27 am

The no sparge worked great last weekend on my Brooklyn lager brew. I will continue with this method as it is so similar to proper BIAB technique.
Lylo

Unread postby Cervantes » Fri May 16, 2014 3:41 am

Lac/Lylo,

Do you tap down and stir at any point during mashing?
Last edited by Cervantes on Fri May 16, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby whitegoose » Fri May 16, 2014 6:39 am

I don't get it - why woldn't you sparge when it;s so easy?
whitegoose

Unread postby Lac » Fri May 16, 2014 10:09 am

whitegoose wrote:I don't get it - why woldn't you sparge when it;s so easy?

I do not have to heat additional water up to sparge with and it does not seem that I get better efficiency by sparge.
Lac

Unread postby Lylo » Fri May 16, 2014 1:27 pm

Yes, the sparge is easy with the BM, however using this process it is also unnecessary!
Lylo

Unread postby Soviet » Mon May 19, 2014 3:01 pm

I'll give you a whole bunch of reasons why you wouldn't:
1. You have $3000 (more if you modified) electric all-in-one vessel machine and you're still heating water in a separate vessel?
2. You still have to adjust/acidify your sparge water, additional steps, additional measurements required, simplify your process
3. Improper adjustment of sparge water can lead to excess tannin extraction
4. You can avoid 1,2, and 3 (above) if you simply use a bit more grain and don't sparge
5. You can avoid 1,2, and 3 if you add a little bit of DME too

So, why would you sparge?
Soviet

Next

Return to General / Tips and Tricks