Help, Help, Help!

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Help, Help, Help!

Unread postby royco » Sun May 04, 2014 7:13 am

Just started a 50L batch of Wit after a 4L test batch (BIAB) which was fantastic. Grain bill 50/50 pale and flaked wheat, but my supplier recommended subbing 1kg rolled oats and reducing flaked wheat.
I cooked the oats at about 68°C with some Ultraflow, then mixed in while adding the grains.

Problem: Immediate stuck mash.

I have never used flaked wheat or oats in the BM before and could not get rice hulls (the recipe did not call for them though).

What to do?
royco

Model: 50 litres

Re: Help, Help, Help!

Unread postby Okire » Sun May 04, 2014 7:45 am

If you have not already tried, remove top filter and stir, repet when necessary.

God luck!

/Erik
Try my two commercially available beers, Sheriffen and Alkemisten (Sweden only sadly)
Okire

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sun May 04, 2014 8:30 am

don't know what ultraflow is. it's not a huge help, i know, but i make a wit with about 40% flaked wheat and ~15% flaked oats, just mashed normally but with a beta glucan and protein rest, no pre-preparation of the flaked stuff. it flows fine, with no extra hulls added. i agree with the above, stir it as mush as possible!
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby royco » Sun May 04, 2014 5:22 pm

Thanks Erik and Dinnerstick, I did as suggested and it helped. BTW maybe this post should have been in the general brewing section.
After lifting the pipe it took forever for the wort to drain, but all seems fine.
Ultraflow is an enzyme which apparently liquifies oats. Never heard of it before (beta-glucanase?). Anyway, my 4L test batch was so awesome I decided to take the bull by the balls and go straight to 50L.
Is it maybe better to use pale wheat malt instead of flaked wheat?
Anyway it is now in the fermenter and I am going to an island called Mauritius for 2 weeks, so it should be mostly fermented when I get back. Will report back when it is done.

This forum is great.
royco

Unread postby Dicko » Sun May 04, 2014 8:26 pm

Have a read of post number 4 and 18 by Wes Smith, he is a knowledgable brewer.

Brewing with Oats
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Dicko » Sun May 04, 2014 8:48 pm

Just re read your original post and you may have had problems due to the sheer volume of oats that you used.
I think around 5% oats from reports, seems to work OK provided it is gelatinised.

I remember quite some time ago I did a brew demonstration for a few newbies and decided to do an oatmeal stout as was suggested by one of the guys....well needless to say I performed a three hour sparge. :lol: :lol:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Okire » Mon May 05, 2014 6:12 am

Happy to hear that it worked out.
Try my two commercially available beers, Sheriffen and Alkemisten (Sweden only sadly)
Okire

Return to General / Tips and Tricks