Water volumes and sparging BM20L

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Water volumes and sparging BM20L

Unread postby rocketman » Thu May 01, 2014 2:10 pm

Hi!

Brand spanking new BM20L owner here from Sweden, did my first brew
yesterday (got it yesterday) and only got 12L in the fermenter (I knew I forgot something).
So sparging, how do you handle water for sparging, use a separate pot with heated water?

What volumes do you start with? And how much do you sparge? What pre-boil volume are
you aiming for when going for ~21L in the fermenter?

Anyone got a complete beersmith recipe in .bsmx to share?

Cheers, Fredrik
rocketman

Model: 20 litres

Re: Water volumes and sparging BM20L

Unread postby swiggingpig » Thu May 01, 2014 7:36 pm

I mash in with 25L of water and sparge whatever volume Beersmith tells me with water straight out of the hot tap.

Because of the pick-up tube and hop filter I use I have very little dead space so I look for a pre boil of around 26L for 21L in the fermenter.

What sort of beer style did you have in mind ?

:beer:
20L BM with Jacket and Copper Hood
swiggingpig

Unread postby rocketman » Thu May 01, 2014 8:29 pm

Thanks, I got a modern water system in my house so I should be pretty safe using my hot tap water, I have it at about 65C.
I read a lot about Wyeast 3711 so a Saison is in the pipe. And when I have my fridge setup I will try to make a pilsner. But
my always on tap beer are Pale Ales, Australian and American..
rocketman

Unread postby cpa4ny » Fri May 02, 2014 1:04 am

I typically use ~4-5 liters for the sparge; however, according to Speidel it is not a necessary step.

The sparge water is heated in a separate pot.

Required pre-boil volume would depend on the boil length.

My boils typically are 60 mins for pale-malt based beers and 90 minutes for Pilsen malt-based beers.

Unread postby pmac » Fri May 02, 2014 3:01 am

I sparge using an old 19 ltr pot I did BIAB in.

As I brew outside I use my BBQ side burner to heat the water while the malt pipe is draining.

I use Brewmate and it normally suggests between 4-6 litres of sparge water with a 25-26 litre mash in (depending on OG wanted).

Generally get close to my numbers (1 or 2 points give or take) and my volume (normally 20-22 litres into the FV which is perfect as I keg and I am too lazy to bottle).
pmac

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri May 02, 2014 6:24 am

i sparge using an electric kettle (for tea water etc.); while the malt tube is draining i heat the 1L kettle to sparge temp and pour it over the mash about 4-5 times, then remove the malt tube to a separate pot, put the lid on and ramp up to the boil. whatever runnings have collected by the time i reach boil, i add to the boil. then i top off with water to my calculated pre-boil volume for the final batch size (which varies depending on my fermenter and gravity)
i recommend you devise a good volume measuring system so you can calculate your boiloff rate in your next brew. mine is superbly high tech- don't try this if you aren't trained in metalsmith arts- i scratched 1L gradations into a stainless kebab skewer using that pointy thing on a swiss army knife that i have never figured out what to do with before, i then dunk the skewer into the kettle. others on the forum have made clever hanging clips that attach to the rim and show volume gradations.
dinnerstick

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri May 02, 2014 6:36 am

are you looking for a beersmith equipment profile? Here is one from forum member philthebrewer, you will have to adjust it to fit your brewing but it's a good starting point
Attachments
Braumeister 20l equipment setting by philthebrewer.bsmx
(1.3 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
dinnerstick

Unread postby rocketman » Fri May 02, 2014 6:48 am

Thanks! Really helpful! I will do another try today. I'll let you know how it goes.
rocketman

Return to General / Tips and Tricks