Step Mashing

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Step Mashing

Unread postby Crusty » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:27 pm

I'm not 100% convinced that step mashing is needed these days especially with the highly modified malts that we have access to.
Tasting a few beers tonight, one from my Biab single infusion days against a step mashed beer, same recipe etc, I can't see any difference between the two really.
The step mashed beer is maintaining a better head most likely due to a short protein rest but that's it. Pretty much identical beers.
Do you guys make full use of the excellent temp holding capabilities of the BM or are you just running with a single infusion followed by a mash out?
If doing a single infusion, are you still doing a short protein rest for 5-10mins @52-55deg?
There will be some recipes that call for a stepped mash like Pilsners or beers with a high Pilsner malt content but I'm struggling to see the benefits from my observations.
Crusty

Model: 50 litres

Re: Step Mashing

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:39 pm

doughing in is easier at a lower temp for a kickoff, fewer doughballs, so i always dough in around 50 and then hold there for a short protein rest. i generally do a single sacc rest and a mashout. for really high protein grains i extend the protein rest to 15-20 minutes, and for lots of oats i do a beta glucan rest.
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Crusty » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:48 am

dinnerstick wrote:doughing in is easier at a lower temp for a kickoff, fewer doughballs, so i always dough in around 50 and then hold there for a short protein rest. i generally do a single sacc rest and a mashout. for really high protein grains i extend the protein rest to 15-20 minutes, and for lots of oats i do a beta glucan rest.

Thanks for the info mate.
Much appreciated.
Crusty

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby pmac » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:52 am

My general schedule is dough in at 30c (or tap water temp), protein rest for 5 mins @ 52, 60 min Sac rest then mash out.

Have done a few longer/varied stepped mashes, but as I only really brew hoppy pale ales I see no need for anything else.

I mainly do the protein rest now because I can.
pmac

Model: 20 litres

Return to General / Tips and Tricks