Stirring the malt to prevent channeling during mashing

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Stirring the malt to prevent channeling during mashing

Unread postby bhe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:45 am

I've splitted the responses about stirring to a new thread as it is a discussion on its own. This discussion started in the Blichmann BrewEasy thread. -Niels

When i brew with my BM there are channels in the mash. And if i stir the mash a couple of times the effeciency goes up a lot. The brewhouse efficiency tends to improve with up to 10%. Before i started stirring i hit aroud 74%. The best result while stirring (4 times during a brew) so far is 86,3%.
bhe

Re: Stirring the malt to prevent channeling during mashing

Unread postby Cervantes » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:48 am

bhe wrote:When i brew with my BM there are channels in the mash. And if i stir the mash a couple of times the effeciency goes up a lot. The brewhouse efficiency tends to improve with up to 10%. Before i started stirring i hit aroud 74%. The best result while stirring (4 times during a brew) so far is 86,3%.

BHE

Are the channels visible when you remove the top filter?
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby bhe » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:05 pm

Nope!

When i stir the mash i can feel that some sections are a lot less dense and some are very dense. That's how i noticed that they exist.

Cervantes wrote:
bhe wrote:When i brew with my BM there are channels in the mash. And if i stir the mash a couple of times the effeciency goes up a lot. The brewhouse efficiency tends to improve with up to 10%. Before i started stirring i hit aroud 74%. The best result while stirring (4 times during a brew) so far is 86,3%.

BHE

Are the channels visible when you remove the top filter?
bhe

Unread postby Cervantes » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:46 pm

bhe wrote:Nope!

When i stir the mash i can feel that some sections are a lot less dense and some are very dense. That's how i noticed that they exist.

I'll try stirring next brew and look out for this.

What crush are you using? Apparently too fine a crush can cause channelling.
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:49 pm

The above two posts seem to be entered into the incorrect topic....is this a forum issue Niels??
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Cervantes » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:04 pm

Dicko wrote:The above two posts seem to be entered into the incorrect topic....is this a forum issue Niels??

Stems back to this post Dicko...........

We got a bit off topic. :oops:

I wanted to quote a post number, but couldn't find any. Just to go off topic again.............. Are the posts numbered?
Last edited by Cervantes on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:09 pm

My apologies guys, I saw these two posts on a new page and assumed that they related to another topic
( insert slapping forehead smilie ) doh!! :)
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby bhe » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:34 am

Cervantes wrote:
bhe wrote:Nope!

I'll try stirring next brew and look out for this.

What crush are you using? Apparently too fine a crush can cause channelling.

1,2 - 1,3 mm. And maybe it's not regular channeling. But if you look at the malt pipe from above, about 1/3 of the circle will hold the mash with the lower density from top and all the way down. Try stirring the next time and see if you notice the same.

And sorry for OT. :)
bhe

Unread postby niels » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:20 am

Dicko wrote:The above two posts seem to be entered into the incorrect topic....is this a forum issue Niels??

I moved the stirring discussion to a new thread as it is an interesting topic and to keep the original thread "clean".

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:36 am

Yesterday I brewed an Australian Bitter with 2 row base and some crystal and some sugar late in the boil and I decided to employ a rest at 38 deg c as someone on here had suggested in another topic.
This rest temp is apparently good for the flow-ability of the wort if that is a real word.
During the mash I removed the top plate from the malt pipe to give the mash a stir about half way through the beta rest and the entire mash was floating....in other words there were no areas of thick grain holding together as I have noticed in other brews.
I also gained a couple of points in my mash efficiency
bhe,
if you crush is around the 1.2mm and the mash ph is between 5.4 and 5.6 then this rest might be worth considering.

:beer:
Dicko

Unread postby Cervantes » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:52 am

Dicko wrote:Yesterday I brewed an Australian Bitter with 2 row base and some crystal and some sugar late in the boil and I decided to employ a rest at 38 deg c as someone on here had suggested in another topic.
This rest temp is apparently good for the flow-ability of the wort if that is a real word.
During the mash I removed the top plate from the malt pipe to give the mash a stir about half way through the beta rest and the entire mash was floating....in other words there were no areas of thick grain holding together as I have noticed in other brews.
I also gained a couple of points in my mash efficiency
bhe,
if you crush is around the 1.2mm and the mash ph is between 5.4 and 5.6 then this rest might be worth considering.

:beer:

Dicko,

Now this is off topic :D

Not really but it would be worth posting the same post in this thread as the topic of the 38/40 degree rest was raised there and it would be equally as relevant and informative there.
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:02 am

Mate, I am confused as George Bush in school :lol: with these topics at the moment so I have copied and pasted the above ramblings by me into the suggested correct topic :beer:
Dicko

Unread postby Cervantes » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:07 am

It is hard keeping up :lol:
Andy
Cervantes

Return to General / Tips and Tricks