What to Brew!

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

What to Brew!

Unread postby Sportyone » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi,

Expecting delivery of my new 50l BM this week so currently gathering together all other equipment required to conduct my first brew.
The prospect seems daunting as I'm a complete novice :shock: lol. With this in mind and the fact that myself and most of my friends for that matter have only been used to big brewery lagers, what entry level craft beer would you recommend for a first brew for the uneducated pallet :D

thanks

Stephen
Sportyone

Model: 50 litres

Re: What to Brew!

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:36 pm

Exciting stuff !

I would go with a SMASH (single malt single hop) to keep things as simple as possible, my first beer was based on Hopback Summer Lightning which is a light ale with a good hop bitterness and flavour using challenger and goldings hops (so not quite a SMASH but close enough :) ), I made a few mistakes and the beer turned out great and lasted no more than 2 weeks!

Pale malt
A hop of your choice used for bittering, flavour and aroma additions.

The pale malt will give you the pale colour of the lagers you are used to and then the hop could be something that you might like in a lager (I've no clue about lager hops myself).

Single infusion at 66°C for 1hr 30.
Mash out t 78°C for 10 mins.
Boil for 1hr 30.
Protofloc or whirlfoc or irish moss 15 mins from the end of the boil
Use a dry yeast like Nottingham to get a standard ale, good flocculation and clear beer.

Drink and enjoy and let us all know how it goes.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby niels » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:23 pm

This blonde beer has a limited malt and hop bill. It is very much appreciated by a lot of friends who aren't into speciality beers at all.

You can substitute the yeast with almost any ale yeast. Normally the Westmalle yeast is meant for this recipe, but I used US-05 that I had on hand. It gives a much cleaner beer so if you prefer a more Belgian beer you can use the Fermentis Safale S-33 or Fermentis Safale T-58.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Sportyone » Tue May 20, 2014 11:09 am

Hi guys,
BM50 arrived a bit later than expected, that combined with being busy at work has put my first brew back a bit, however now ready to rock.

Could someone please help me out and and post a beersmith recipe profile specifically for the bm50 as I am a bit apprehensive with the software, just want to make sure I follow the right procedure.

thanks Tim & Neil's for the suggested brews.

Stephen
Sportyone

Unread postby niels » Tue May 20, 2014 11:12 am

Sportyone wrote:Could someone please help me out and and post a beersmith recipe profile specifically for the bm50 as I am a bit apprehensive with the software, just want to make sure I follow the right procedure.

You can find a BM 50L BeerSmith profile in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=105

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Sportyone » Tue May 20, 2014 5:09 pm

Thanks Neils,

With regards to water volumes, if I'm using 11kg grain am I correct in using 55l to mash in with and 11l for sparging on bm50

How much wort should I get from this.

thanks
Sportyone

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue May 20, 2014 11:03 pm

Sportyone wrote:Thanks Neils,

With regards to water volumes, if I'm using 11kg grain am I correct in using 55l to mash in with and 11l for sparging on bm50

How much wort should I get from this.

thanks

I usually work on 1 litre absorption per Kg until I know what it actually is, so after mash it will be around 45l, if you sparge it will be 56l, after 90 min boil it will be around 46l of wort, you can always take a measurement of your post mash water and adjust the sparge amount to suit, my boil off rate is around 7.5l per hour.

What strength beer are you aiming for? 11Kg of grain will give you OG around 1.055 plus which will result in a beer heading for 5.5-6% maybe more with 46l of wort.

HTH.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Return to General / Tips and Tricks