Just ordered a new pH meter! HI 99151

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Just ordered a new pH meter! HI 99151

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:50 am

After 3 years of flying blind in terms mash pH / mash acidification and after exhaustive research - I just took a plunge and ordered one of these bad boys:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IKNJMU/ref=ox_ya_os_product

It's a bit pricey, but since I am brewing every two weeks, I think it should be worth it.

I did try ColorpHast pH Strips (supposedly the best ones out there); however, given the logarithmic nature of pH - I feel that I'd like to have a bit more precision.

Will report back once I start using it.

Model: 20 litres

RE: Just ordered a new pH meter! HI 99151

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:35 am

I have had great luck with using this pH meter:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DTNDME/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Along with this spreadsheet:
http://www.ezwatercalculator.com/

Which has so far done an excellent job predicting pH and allowing me to adjust.

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:55 am

Thanks Nesto - I was looking at that Milwaukee meter as well, actually.

At the end went with Hanna, as I was very impressed with their customer service.

They turned around and fixed my non-working stirplate in a day! wow...

Unread postby niels » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:18 pm

I am considering the Hanna Instruments HI98128 pHep 5. It looks like a decent pH meter with a mid-range prize tag (around 100 EUR in Belgium).

But I can't seem to bite the bullet... pH meters seem to be very fragile and I don't want to end up with one that is broken within a year (although there is a 2-year warranty).

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:20 am

http://www.instrumentchoice.com.au/instrument-choice/environment-meters/ph-meters-2/pen-tester/ec-phtestr20-waterproof-phtestr-20-tester-with-atc-0-01-ph-accuracy

This is the unit I bought in Aus.
Pricey as well but I think you only get what you pay for.
My beers improved out of site with this meter, an R O water filter and EZ Water calculator.

I tried those PH strips and found them next to useless

Cheers
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:15 am

niels wrote:
pH meters seem to be very fragile and I don't want to end up with one that is broken within a year (although there is a 2-year warranty).

Niels

I understand that the key to pH meter longevity is to store the probe in a special solution:

http://www.amazon.com/Hanna-Instruments-Storage-Solution-Electrodes/dp/B002NX0W2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390446865&sr=8-1&keywords=ph+probe+storage

Dicko wrote:

Can't agree more.

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:42 am

cpa4ny wrote:
niels wrote:
pH meters seem to be very fragile and I don't want to end up with one that is broken within a year (although there is a 2-year warranty).

Niels

I understand that the key to pH meter longevity is to store the probe in a special solution:

http://www.amazon.com/Hanna-Instruments-Storage-Solution-Electrodes/dp/B002NX0W2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390446865&sr=8-1&keywords=ph+probe+storage

Dicko wrote:

Can't agree more.

Yes, I store my tip in a PH 4 solution as advised by the seller on the time of purchase.
Had mine for almost a year now and still going strong.

My PH meter has a plastic cap that i put a bit of solution in to cover the probe then I store it standing upright in the cupboard until I have to use it next. I just rinse it with clean tap water as advised prior to its next use.
I chill my PH sample to 20 degc before measuring which I achieve by placing a small sample in a plastic cup and sitting it in cold water for a few minutes...this gives me the room temp measurement as required to achieve a PH of 5.4 to 5.5.

By doing this I am not relying on the ATC that is built into some PH meters as I have read that this Auto Temp Correction function may only work over a few degrees therefore creating a possible inaccuracy if measuring at mash temp.
At the same time I have read comments from some HB shop suppliers that they say just stick it in the mash.

I leave this to the choice of the individual brewer but I would rather take advice from an actual supplier / manufacturer.

I also keep a note of my additions and PH results with EZ water in Beersmith so I can use the same water profile if I do the same beer again and this way I will be able to tell if there is any discrepancy in the reading indicating that my probe tip may need replacing.

Apology for the rambling post but I hope it may help....all PH meter probes need to be stored correctly otherwise you will have probe failure extremely quickly.

Cheers
Last edited by Dicko on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:16 am

Thought PH 4 solution is only for calibration?

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:41 pm

cpa4ny wrote:Thought PH 4 solution is only for calibration?

So did I until I spoke with the supplier, he claimed either buy the storage solution or just store in 4 or 7 solution, as long as the probe remains moist and then rinse prior to calibration.
As I said earlier my is still OK after 11 months.

In a past life I had cause to have a PH meter for checking PH of cleaned items for residual alkalinity from detergents and believe me without correct storage you will be buying a new probe every few months.

Another important thing that needs mentioning is that some cheap PH meters only read to one decimal point and at best will be a very poor guide for mash measurement.
Dicko

Unread postby niels » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:59 pm

Dicko wrote:Another important thing that needs mentioning is that some cheap PH meters only read to one decimal point and at best will be a very poor guide for mash measurement.

Indeed, it is recommended to get a pH meter reads to 0.01 and check the deviation as I've seen it from +-0.02 up to +-0.07 (less is better, of course).

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:48 pm

cpa4ny wrote:Thought PH 4 solution is only for calibration?

I'll second Dicko's comments here. I've done a little searching and contacting and all sources suggest storing in pH4 solution.
Dan

Unread postby cpa4ny » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:16 am

Interesting - thank you gentlemen. Here's a verbatim quote from Hanna:

"If you do not have electrode storage solution use pH 4 buffer solution. If you have neither
electrode storage solution or pH 4 buffer solution you can use pH 7 buffer solution for a
short time."

http://www.hannainst.com/usa/whitepaper/CareandstorageofpHelectroderev4.pdf

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:44 am

Unveiling ceremony over the weekend :D

That was my first time working with a pH meter; managed to dual-calibrate it and test my wort.

Hanna's instructions were pretty straight-forward and I think it went pretty smoothly.

Will see how the beer will turn out :cheers:

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:57 am

cpa4ny wrote:http://fluxbb.braumeisters.net/preview.php?id=74

Unveiling ceremony over the weekend :D

That was my first time working with a pH meter; managed to dual-calibrate it and test my wort.

Hanna's instructions were pretty straight-forward and I think it went pretty smoothly.

Will see how the beer will turn out :cheers:

That is one nice looking meter cpa4ny.
Dicko

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:22 am

Thank you Dicko.

Luckily, Amazon has "free" shipping to Singapore on purchases over a certain amount.

The same exact meter bought from a local distributor would've been much more expensive.

Next

Return to General / Tips and Tricks