Double mashing

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: Double mashing

Unread postby joecast » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:23 am

Will post the recipe during the week Niels,

Thats an interesting process Dicko. Might give it a try but think I should have enough room to include in with the rest of the grain for a double mash. I imagine if I was going really big that night be a good option. Cheers,
Joe
joecast

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:38 pm

Hi Joe,

I have found by steeping the darker grains in a stout it tends to give the beer a smoother taste with relation to the roast and dark grains.
If space is not a problem put the dark specialties in the malt pipe and make the beer then next time try the steeping separately to notice the difference.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby bierfest » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:12 pm

bierfest wrote:Tried this today. Think I need to adjust my beersmith profile .. I hit my target gravity and quite a bit more. Double mashing works a real treat.

I did this recently on a beer and it worked very well. I set my efficiency to about 70% in Beersmith but in fact my OG was quite a bit higher than i intended.

I am going to try it again now soon.

However I have been thinking. I own the 50l model and have the 25l shortened malt pipe. I mostly brew 25l batches. However if instead of doing the double mash approach I tried the following

1. Single mash in the 50l malt pipe with minimum amount of water necessary to cover the elements during mash
2. Dont top up water for boil
3. Extended boil then to try to bring the volume down to around 25 or 30L which should in theory have quite a high OG.

The thing is that I am not quite sure how to measure all of this.. How to figure out how long i need to boil it to reduce my OG to where I need it. Perhaps this is where a refractometer will come in handy. Has anybody done this and do they have any ideas on volumes, boil times etc.
Also can anybody think of a reason why this would be a bad idea. Is it better or the same as double mashing.
All thoughts welcome.
bierfest

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby flemming » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:47 pm

bierfest wrote:Has anybody done this and do they have any ideas on volumes, boil times etc.

That's a pretty typical way that many of us 50L owners do it.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=500#p4897

Robert
flemming

Unread postby bierfest » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:35 am

flemming wrote:That's a pretty typical way that many of us 50L owners do it.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=500#p4897

Robert

Awseome thanks.. need to get cracking on this

niels wrote:
bierfest wrote:3. Neils - I see that you mention elsewhere that you estimate that you lose about 5l of water over the course of a 90 minute boil (i assume you set the unit to 100 degress as boiling temp). Do others concur with that?

That's what I use in my calculations, but I've not made any reliable measurements about the boil off rate, yet.

But since I'm always very close to my target volume and overshoot my gravity most of the time with 1~2 points I'm happy with these numbers.

- Niels

I ran a test tonight specifically to test this. Filled my 50l BM up with 30l of water.. set temp to 102 degrees and then brough to the boil. Started my hour timer. At the end of the hour I had more or less boiled off 5l of water similar to what Neils reported above.
bierfest

Previous

Return to General / Tips and Tricks