Double mashing

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Re: Double mashing

Unread postby fy0d0r » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:33 am

The mashout is for better flow indeed, can be skipped perhaps.

What do you mean by "Not Locking" ?
fy0d0r

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby jervell » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:57 am

What I mean is that mashing out fixes the wort in the sense that the enzymes no longer can convert starches to sugars. My question then was whether this could affect extraction, as you could possibly have extracted more during the second mashing.
jervell

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby fy0d0r » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:25 am

That makes sense, however I think everything should have been converted after 3 hours at 66C...

May try it next time
fy0d0r

Unread postby jervell » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:32 am

You are probably right. :-) I didn't realize the first mash was a full three hours, but looking at your sheet I don't know how I missed that.
jervell

Re: RE: Double mashing

Unread postby Brambo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:11 pm

gert wrote: In my case: I use 6,2 kg malt for 20l, so for the 200l that must be 62 kg. But the malt pipe is only 42 kg.

Hi Gert,

Maybe you can look at this topic on the german hobbybrau forum. http://hobbybrauer.de/modules.php?name= ... erdate=ASC (google translate)
This guy have a 200l braumeister and he brew up to 320l in his braumeister and put up to 50kg malt and he thinks you can go up to 60. So you can do the same for 200l i guess.
Brambo

Unread postby paddye » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:46 pm

I was brewing this weekend and during the mash cycle a thought hit, I used to be a BIAB brewer so I have a 40L SS brewkettle sitting around gathering dust, what if for the big beers i made this into a mash tun and pumped the wort into the top of this pot, let it drain out and gravity feed back into the top of the BM? I would still be able to use the BM to control the mash steps and mashing out would then be as simple as pulling out two pipes. Do you think this would work?
paddye

Unread postby BrauTim » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:38 pm

paddye wrote:I was brewing this weekend and during the mash cycle a thought hit, I used to be a BIAB brewer so I have a 40L SS brewkettle sitting around gathering dust, what if for the big beers i made this into a mash tun and pumped the wort into the top of this pot, let it drain out and gravity feed back into the top of the BM? I would still be able to use the BM to control the mash steps and mashing out would then be as simple as pulling out two pipes. Do you think this would work?

It would work, however there would be a temp drop going from the BM into the mash tun then back into the BM. If the overall temps are within 5°C of each other then it shouldn't be a problem otherwise you might need a HERMS coil to maintain temp or something similar.......hmmmm my HERMS setup has been sitting idle for over a year now, you are giving me some ideas :D
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Unread postby paddye » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:59 pm

Thanks, I will think of how to heat the pot, I have a giant burner but I would be forced to brewing only on the balcony.
paddye

Unread postby bierfest » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:09 pm

Im going to try a double mash on my next brew as i need a higher gravity and would like to hit it with grain.

So to summarise everything that I have read above - the process is:

1. Split the grain bill in half
2. Mash as you normally would
3. When finished mash remove the maltpipe
4. Top water back up to initial pre mash level (if using multistep mas on first mash then cool back to original temperature)
5. Insert maltpipe and fill with other half of the remaing grain
6. Mash as normal
7. If using software such as beersmith then efficiency (is this mash efficiency or brewhouse efficiency) should be dropped to about 70% because of the double mash
8. Top up to normal pre boil water level and proceed as normal.

Is the above correct or am i missing anything?

Also a few other more general questions:
1. Does anybody have a good fomula to estimate how much water you lose to grain absorbtion etc over a mash?
2. Anybody have a formula to how much water you lose to hop absorbtion etc in a boil based on kg of hops (I use mostly hop leafs)?
3. Neils - I see that you mention elsewhere that you estimate that you lose about 5l of water over the course of a 90 minute boil (i assume you set the unit to 100 degress as boiling temp). Do others concur with that?
bierfest

Unread postby bierfest » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:39 am

Tried this today. Think I need to adjust my beersmith profile .. I hit my target gravity and quite a bit more. Double mashing works a real treat.
bierfest

Unread postby niels » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:20 pm

bierfest wrote:3. Neils - I see that you mention elsewhere that you estimate that you lose about 5l of water over the course of a 90 minute boil (i assume you set the unit to 100 degress as boiling temp). Do others concur with that?

That's what I use in my calculations, but I've not made any reliable measurements about the boil off rate, yet.

But since I'm always very close to my target volume and overshoot my gravity most of the time with 1~2 points I'm happy with these numbers.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby hughjampton » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:15 am

I have a 50L and I want to make an Imperial stout. I was thinking of doing it like this:

Mash 12kg grain in 45L of water using the standard pipe
No sparge
That should leave me with about 34L
Mash again using the short malt pipe with 6kg grain
No sparge
Boil for 90 minutes

I should end up with about 24L in the fermenter from 18kg grain. I haven't done the calculations yet so I don't know what the OG should be. It'll be big enough.
When the chill sciroco blows, and winter tells a heavy tale
When pies, and daws, and rooks and crows do sit and curse the frost and snows
Then give me ale.
hughjampton

Unread postby joecast » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:12 pm

G'day all. Loving the BM and doing my first double mash next weekend. Just one question, for an imperial stout do you split the specialty malts evenly between both mashes? I suppose you want make sure everything converts so too much in one mash may not be good. Thanks
joecast

Unread postby niels » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:35 am

joecast wrote:G'day all. Loving the BM and doing my first double mash next weekend. Just one question, for an imperial stout do you split the specialty malts evenly between both mashes? I suppose you want make sure everything converts so too much in one mash may not be good. Thanks

It depends on the speciality malts, of course, but splitting them is a safe bet. Do you mind sharing the recipe (or malt bill) with us?

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:05 am

joecast wrote:G'day all. Loving the BM and doing my first double mash next weekend. Just one question, for an imperial stout do you split the specialty malts evenly between both mashes? I suppose you want make sure everything converts so too much in one mash may not be good. Thanks

Hi joecast,

I generally steep all the speciality grains in a separate container with a bit of water that I have taken from the total volume and when the mash process is finished I add the steeped liquid for the boil.
By doing this you can get the most base grain quantity into the mash volumes.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

PreviousNext

Return to General / Tips and Tricks