Running the pump(s) while chilling

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

RE: Running the pump(s) while chilling

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:13 pm

here you go:
corny keg, copper coil soldered to outside. these all have plastic quick disconnects and miraculously don't leak.
01.jpg

the rabbit controller drives two pumps. one goes through the 'cold' side of the peltier (if it's in cooling mode. for heating it simply reverses the current through the peltier and cooling goes in reverse) then through the corny coil and back to reservoir. the 'hot' side goes from the other side of the peltier to a car radiator (very rusty inside hence brown water) which has a PC fan blowing on it to dissipate the heat.

02.jpg

the whole thing is temporarily (which has become long-term temporary with a million other projects including moving/house construction) mounted on a very rickety wooden frame. the rabbit has a wireless IP address, so you connect via phone or laptop and it runs a simple program that lets you input set point and tolerance, monitors the beer temp and temp on both sides of peltier, auto shuts off at a high temp, stuff like that. if the keg is insulated well it works very well, i can do lagers at 10 degrees in ambient temps of high teens to maybe 20, but i couldn't do a lager in 30 for instance. but i can hold ales easily around 20 in most conditions, very precisely.

03.jpg

in this pic i actually shut it off and am using a heat belt and stc-1000 to raise and hold at higher than ambient temp to get the yeast (fuller's/wyeast 1968) to finish off and diacetyl rest. it's less noisy than running pumps and fan. but you can see the whole thing, it's small and fits in the corner of my old apartment stairwell

04.jpg

there's a mistake on the screen- the second setting is tolerance not set point!

05.jpg

first trial, before neoprene jacket and realizing i needed to use blowoff tubes
Last edited by dinnerstick on Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dinnerstick

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby royco » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:03 pm

There is no end to the ingenuity of a crafty brewer. That is amazing dinnerstick. And by the way there is a formula to calculate the degree of permanence of a temporary job, but I can't remember it.
royco

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:44 am

Wow - amazing!!

Do you happen to work for NASA when you are not brewing? :cheers:

Unread postby Dicko » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:24 am

dinnerstick wrote:
cpa4ny wrote:Just to highlight - running the pump during the chill would only help with the immersion chiller, however would have no effect if you are chilling either with a CFC or a PC.

other than to churn up all your hops and trub!

Yes, I would not turn the pump on if using anything other than an immersion chiller unless you re circulate back into the kettle and then let it settle out again.
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:13 am

if nasa needs someone to manage duct tape, ill-fitting hoses, rusty water, exposed electrical connections, rickety water-damaged wood, water reservoirs perched above the electronics, they can contact me directly. i have to say the electronic guts of the thing were put together by my cousin who does robotics. i am a biologist; i handle the yeast, and am somewhat handy, but i couldn't have rigged up the crazy controller. he had a spare rabbit lying around, that used to control an automated floorboard nailing robot for a failed construction company! my father did the keg soldering and made the peltier sandwich with the heat exchangers. he also makes my tap handles, i'll post those some time in the showing off forum as this has become a serious thread takeover!
dinnerstick

Unread postby royco » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:43 pm

Hai, please show pics of the tap handles. Will you export one?
royco

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:09 pm

2jc8u4w.jpg
2woiohg.jpg

the thread hijack continues! all enameled panels on various wood backing. i only have 2 taps.
dinnerstick

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:17 pm

28tl0g0.jpg

mayan figures. why not.
dinnerstick

Unread postby cpa4ny » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:13 am

*Continuing the thread highjack - apologies to the OP* :beer:

Very nice handles!

Just curious - how did you manage to drill through the corpus of the freezer without hitting the freon lines?

Did you use that corn starch method to figure out where the lines are?

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:11 am

no there were no elements in the door so i just closed my eyes and banged it through. i think in this little fridge there's just one cooling plate at the back. royco- my old man might take custom orders, let me know if you want me to ask!
dinnerstick

Unread postby cpa4ny » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:43 am

Got it; I initially thought that it is a top-opening freezer.

Thanks!

Unread postby Lylo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:51 pm

Can you open the door for us dinnerstick?
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:03 pm

sure thing, i'll post tomorrow. it's just standard shanks and tanks though!
dinnerstick

Unread postby royco » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:19 am

dinnerstick wrote:no there were no elements in the door so i just closed my eyes and banged it through. i think in this little fridge there's just one cooling plate at the back. royco- my old man might take custom orders, let me know if you want me to ask!

Sorry emanz1, your thread seems to suffer from serial-highjacking! Dinnerstick, that was asked with tongue-in cheek, but those handles are well made and have a great craft theme. When I next come over I might take you up on this.
royco

Previous

Return to General / Tips and Tricks