Running the pump(s) while chilling

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Running the pump(s) while chilling

Unread postby emanz1 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:10 pm

I read with great interest that there are some who run the pump during chill. I have been wanting to do that but was afraid. Of those who run the pump during chill: 1) at what temp do you start the pump?; 2) do you use loose pellet hops or are they in a bag or container?

Thanks!
emanz1

Model: 20 litres

RE: Running the pump(s) while chilling

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:45 pm

I run my pump on manual during the chill.
I start the pump when the temp reaches around 60 degc and keep it running until the wort is at the required temp.
From around 40degc down, I use a submersible pump and a 60 litre fermener with about 40 litres of ice slurry in it to recirculate it through the SSteel immersion chiller as the tap water in summer at my place is only around 30 degc.
My hops are pellets and are always just thrown straight into the BM. The pump seems to handle this without a problem.
There is a guy on UTube that had trouble with hop plugs blocking the pump but all reports indicate that there is no trouble with pellets.
The last brew I did had at least 60 gramms of hop pellets in it.
I might add that once the wort is cooled to the correct temp I let the wort settle in the kettle for around 45 minutes before I drain into the fermenter to ensure that all hop and break material stays in the BM
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby bhe » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:00 pm

The pump can't be started when the wort is too hot, well you can set it to start at the console but it wont actually start until it's safe and it's around 80 C.
So I just activate it right away during the chilling and then the machine takes care of it.
bhe

Unread postby Nath83 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:07 pm

Hi Dicko,

Do you whirlpool after you pull the chiller out, or just let it settle?

Cheers
Nath
Nath83

Unread postby Dan » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:12 pm

Same as bhe - Set to manual as soon as I've started chill water running. It kicks in at about 85.
I throw loose pellets straight in. With a very hoppy IPA the impeller will definitely need a clean (I do this after every brew anyway), but I've never had a blockage.
Dan

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:29 pm

Nath83 wrote:Hi Dicko,

Do you whirlpool after you pull the chiller out, or just let it settle?

Cheers
Nath

Nath, i have found that the effort to whirlpool in my 20l BM is wasted as the trub seems to settle flat in the bottom of the kettle anyway.
I now just let the wort settle for 45 mins and the trub forms below the pick up for the tap.
As the wort is draining and getting low I carefully lift the BM and place a piece of 25mm wood under the back leg and it seems to drain perfectly, leaving only a little bit of wort with the trub.
My calculations allow for 5 litres of trub but by using this method and not opening the tap fully I generally gain another 2 litres of beer:drink:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Batz » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:54 pm

I do the same as Dicko but I do give my 50lt a whirlpool. I did a saison last brew and chucked in a few slices of ginger, these found their way into the pump inlet and slowed pumping somewhat. I wasn't thinking obviously, or perhaps too many brew day beers. :cheers:

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:44 am

same here as with the others pretty much. my tap water is so cold that by the time i've got all the cooling stuff going and checked that it's not draining onto the floor i'm already getting towards 80, so i start the pump around there. if i am making a very hoppy beer i use hop bags (don't particularly like them, still searching for the perfect method) even with pellets, as i have had the pump struggle with a lot of hop + free range irish moss. for not-insanely-late-hopped beers i throw everything in and run the pump normally. whirlpooling doesn't seem to do much for me, i just wait 30+ minutes. don't forget to turn the pump off before this settling time!! i have done this who knows how many times. i don't usually drink while brewing but by the cooling phase it's hard to resist cracking a few open, and then i start to get dumb quickly.
dinnerstick

Unread postby cpa4ny » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:29 am

Just to highlight - running the pump during the chill would only help with the immersion chiller, however would have no effect if you are chilling either with a CFC or a PC.

Unread postby Brewing&Sailing » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:37 pm

Stupid question.... but how to manually turn the pump on?
Did a brew yesterday, and fiddled with the controls a bit during cooling
20l Braumeister

Current Project: 4-tap Keezer w/ Nitro Tap
Kegged: Brickwarmer Ale, Kiwi IPA
Fermenting: Dark Cherry Stout
Brewing&Sailing

Unread postby royco » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:37 pm

Brewing and sailing are two of my favorite things. Re manual pumping, you need to RTFM -- it explains. Press and hold the MANU button for 1 sec for manual mode then press ENTER to activate the pump. Voila.
royco

Unread postby dinnerstick » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:13 pm

cpa4ny wrote:Just to highlight - running the pump during the chill would only help with the immersion chiller, however would have no effect if you are chilling either with a CFC or a PC.

other than to churn up all your hops and trub!
dinnerstick

Unread postby royco » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:08 am

dinnerstick wrote:
cpa4ny wrote:Just to highlight - running the pump during the chill would only help with the immersion chiller, however would have no effect if you are chilling either with a CFC or a PC.

other than to churn up all your hops and trub!

Never thought of that. Good point. I use a Spiedel Hop Basket which works brilliantly. Haven't actually tried running the pump during chilling but I suppose if you let the chilled wort stand for 30min almost of the gunk would settle out. With the lid on there shouldn't be too much danger of infection? In any case I always rack to a CO2-filled secondary for a few days before kegging, which takes out any remaining trub.
Last edited by royco on Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
royco

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:43 am

i run the pump to cool (we're talking immersion chiller), with the lid on loosely over the IC pipes, then remove the chiller, put the lid on, let it settle ~30 min. the few times i have brewed outside i then put a clean towel over the lid since it has those two slits in it, both while cooling and after, just to keep air movement from carrying dust in. i've not had an infection. i don't mind fermenting a bit of trub and hop gunk, i really don't think it makes a taste/yeast health difference, but i often ferment a 20L batch in a single 19L corny keg, as i have a crazy temp control system built on a corny (pelter cooler, pumps, radiator, cooling coil soldered to corny, rabbit computer; it's weird), if i use that then i want as clear wort as possible to maximize that small space. and i often re-pitch yeast so i want that relatively gunk-free.
dinnerstick

Unread postby cpa4ny » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:12 am

Rabbit computer?

I sure want to see a picture of that! :beer:

Next

Return to General / Tips and Tricks