First run on the 20L BM

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

First run on the 20L BM

Unread postby Elderberry » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:22 pm

I completed my first brew on the Braumeister yesterday. It all went remarkably well, with brewhouse efficiency weighing in at about 76%. Not as good as my old setup, but perfectly acceptable. The only problem I had was at the beginning. I was following the instructions as I went. I put in the malt pipe, bottom filter and mesh screen, filled with malt, then read that I was supposed to place a second mesh screen followed by the top filter. The problem was I didn't have a second screen. It was nowhere to be found. I tried putting the filter on without the screen and grains were immediately coming through. So, I grabbed my old plastic false bottom screen, cut it to a (very) rough smaller circle, drilled a hole in it and used that instead of the screen. That did the trick. The mash went well and when I dumped the grains, out came my 2 screens, one on top of the other. Sigh...
Elderberry

Model: 20 litres

RE: First run on the 20L BM

Unread postby whitegoose » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:28 pm

Hahaha I had a similar issue where after searching everywhere for my second filter I emailed the shop I bought it from asking where my second screen was and how I could get one sent to me.... then promptly found it, sitting on top of the other one!
whitegoose

Unread postby niels » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:27 pm

We all learn by doing :) After a brew or three you will have a nice routine going. Brewing will be a lot more relaxing and your efficiency will probably increase a bit too.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Elderberry » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:57 pm

I'm looking forward to getting that routine down. Even that first brew was remarkably relaxing. Just for the mash, it used to be:

Heat strike water. Not warm enough. Oops, now it's too hot. Wait for it to cool a bit. Mash-in. Damn! My mash is too cool! Boil some water in a kettle, add to mash and hope it brings up the temp enough.

Now it's:
Program the mash temps. Mash-in. Push start. Go eat pancakes.
Elderberry

Unread postby chris172 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:00 pm

Thats exactly my problems with trying to crack strike and mash temps....

I want one now!
chris172

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Return to General / Tips and Tricks