Double brew day - how much do you clean between brews?

How to get most out of brewing with your Braumeister? Help others and share your tips/best practices.

Double brew day - how much do you clean between brews?

Unread postby pmac » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:53 am

G'day all,

I have 2 empty cubes and I am on leave from work at the moment so was thinking this week I might start early and bash out 2 batches in 1 day.

My question is for those who have done this, did you just give the vessel a quick hose out before starting the next brew or do you clean it properly (eg scrub elements, sod perc or PBW?).

I was thinking a good high pressure hose out would be fine as I wouldn't be leaving it before brewing again - Am I wrong?

The malt pipe etc can be cleaned during the first boil.

Cheers.
pmac

Model: 20 litres

RE: Double brew day - how much do you clean between brews?

Unread postby niels » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:59 am

I would simply hose out the kettle and maybe swipe the heating elements quickly to get off any debris. Also, flush out the spigot thoroughly.

Niels

PS: This is how I would do it... Although I didn't have time to do a double batch yet :)
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby pmac » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:08 am

Yeah thanks Niels, I was thinking the same - blast the kettle and pump with water, wipe any scum off where I can and fill up again for the next batch.

Will be a long day, but I have half a day to myself this week with the wife and kids out so might as well make the most of it!
pmac

Unread postby Batz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:54 am

When I brew I always do a double batch, I just hose the BM out a couple of times. The element is fairly clean, but I don't spend to much time on it.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby pmac » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:06 am

Cheers Batz, batch 1 on the boil now but with 36 degrees today I am thinking batch 2 can be tomorrow.
pmac

Unread postby FlyingMen » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:32 pm

hey guys can I ask how long it takes to do a double batch? from start to finish is i were to make the same beer. or if i had to double mash to get a little higher gravity beer.
FlyingMen

Re: Double brew day - how much do you clean between brews?

Unread postby bjolu340 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:43 am

And a good tip is to make sure that the pump is clean if you used it during chill of the first batch. My last double-brew resulted in second mashing without running pump. Incidentally what became of this second batch was one of the most marvelous beers I've ever made but far from the intended results. Been trying to recreate it ever since...
bjolu340

Re: Double brew day - how much do you clean between brews?

Unread postby Crusty » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:32 am

I'm doing this shortly.
I just purchased a 150lt stainless stock pot & a 210,000 btu burner & stand for it.
I am doing a 40lt batch on the 50lt BM. After sparge, I am draining the BM completely & transferring the wort over to the 150lt kettle.
A quick hose out & an identical 40lt batch again. Drain this out as well after sparge & boiling about 120lt in the big kettle.
I've set everything up in BeerSmith to get me 4 x 20lt cubes. Making use of the excellent temperature control of the BM & simply boiling on the big rig.
A little bit more time & work but 80lt of wort at the end of it.
Are most of you guys just doing a single infusion followed by a mash out or going the full hog with the step mash capabilities?
The first & second brew I've done was a 40deg mash in, 52 deg rest for 5, 63deg rest for 35, 73deg rest for 35 & a 78deg mash out for 10.
Not too sure that the beer will turn out any better than the standard single infusion but after being kegged for just a week, the beer was very good but still needs another week to be at it's best IMO.
Crusty

Return to General / Tips and Tricks