50L BM dead space?

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

50L BM dead space?

Unread postby ChilliMayne » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:44 am

Ive only done one brew so far on my new system with my second one coming up this thursday. I don't believe in tipping over my kettle irrespective of the type of system used but I cant believe that the 50L BM has a dead space of 10Litres!!! I cant stand having any sediment or particles in my beer so I don't tip the kettle over. I just allow the cold break from the chiller to drop all that sediment and protein to the bottom of my kettle. My figures then break down like this:

Brew water = 55Litres
Evaporation [typically 10%] = 5.5L

Grist loss [typically 1L:1Kg] = 11L
=>Sparge = 11L

Dead Space = 10L

Net volume into fermentor = 39.5L

I have a conical fermentor and draw off 3 Litres of trub from the brew after the primary to take the brew off the yeast bed.This ensures total clarity for my secondary.Which means from a 50L BM I only get to bottle a maximum of 36.5L.

Granted that means I have increased my brew yield from 19L on my old system to 36.5L so not bad but Id like to know how these figures compare? :beerbang:
Last edited by ChilliMayne on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brewing: Not much glamour but plenty of Glory!
ChilliMayne

Model: 50 litres

RE: 50L BM dead space?

Unread postby niels » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:37 pm

Well, then you might want to look at the this thread: Combined hop filter and dip tube

I tip over my BM and have very little trub going into my primary fermentor and when racking to secondary this trub is gone. When using a conical fermentor the trub will settle too and you can simply remove it from the bottom together with the yeast.

I don't have had any troubles getting clear beer when leaving it in secondary for at least 2 weeks.

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Re: 50L BM dead space?

Unread postby Batz » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:24 am

Make a pick up tube, no need to tilt and it only leaves around 3lt, this includes break and hop debris.
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Return to Technical Support