Stout Mash Program question

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

Stout Mash Program question

Unread postby desupero » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:48 pm

Hello,

I am looking for some quick answers to a stout step mash (as i intend to brew in the next day or so). I was pointed to this article:

https://byo.com/stories/item/1497-the-science-of-step-mashing

63C for 20mins
67C for 35mins
76 for 5 mins

which at the bottom shows a possible step mash for stout. What are your thoughts on this please, and has anyone tried or have a trusted program for a dark 6.8% stout (so my recipe shows).

I will be using the following grains, although the grain packets give different EBC's to the Beersmith software which has less EBC's:

Munich II - Weyerman 5kg
Chocolate wheat - Weyerman 1100 EBC 0.3kg
Caramunch II - Weyerman 124 EBC 0.3kg
Carafa I - Wayerman 1000 EBC 0.3kg

At the end of fermentation
crushed cacao nibs
Vanilla stalks
crushed Coffee beans

The video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCKR6EXb0oM shows
mash in at 60C
68C for 80 mins
75C for 15 mins
Boil - 60 mins

So i am looking for a little feedback on the mash program if you would be so kind. Thanks
Nothing is too difficult for the man that does not have to do it himself...
desupero

Model: 50 litres

Re: Stout Mash Program question

Unread postby SteveOR » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:12 pm

Are you brewing a 20L batch? Grain bill looks more like a 20 than a 50L batch. The mash profiles are really a matter of your preference. I like high body beers so I like above 150f. The 67 degree is a good mask temp. I found somewhere that the optimum temp for alpha amylase is 70.

Cheers;

Steve :beerbang:
New 20L user.
No experience only 5 batches so far.
as of 15 apr 2014 Now 11 batches.
As of aug 2014 26 batches. I just love this machine!
Sep 2015 now over 100 batches.
SteveOR

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Nesto » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:56 pm

I've tended to keep the mash programs for stouts at a single step saccharification rest, so I've been doing 40C for 5 min and 68C for 60 min, then mash out. It depends on how much residual sweetness you want. If your going for a dry, thinner stout, maybe the two sacc rests work. But if you're going for a complex stout with chocolate, coffee and more, you might want a little more residual sweetness. I did an Imperial Stout that's in a barreland I'm glad I went for a single sacc rest.

Unread postby bruulog » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:27 am

residual sweetness you want

As I understand it, if you make your stout sweet (from malts), it's not a stout but porter, unless it's a milk stout but this is a whole new topic.
I make my own copper/ss chillers (immersion) - 20l & 50l and counterflow (cfc)
bruulog.ee, Twitter: @BruuLog , FB BruuLog
bruulog

Unread postby desupero » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:36 am

Well i gave it a go... Beer Smith estimated that i should have had a 1.068 OG with 20l but i ended up with only 1.061 at 16l so i'm not sure what i missed on this, other than maybe the mash program wasn't right for it, or with the larger grain bill it didn't soak through the grain well enough. I sparged with 3l of water too. Looking for suggestions at this point? The mash program was:

63C - 20min (145F)
67C - 35min (152F)
70C - 45min (158F)
76C - 10min (167F)
60 min boil
desupero

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:00 pm

the mash program is normal enough, small changes in sacc rest temps or times (above 1 hr) aren't going to change your efficiency much if at all. more likely culprits are the crush- if you look at a handful of individual grains, are they all broken? do the ones that look whole crumble if you squeeze them a bit, or are there some that are really unharmed? did the wort flow well through the grain bed (ie was the crush too fine)? perhaps next time pause the program during the sacc rests, open the tube and give it a good stir. check that it isn't too tight in there, and you can check with a thermometer if the temperature is even throughout the grain bed, if not it suggests poor circulation.
mash pH- could be too high? usually the acidic grains used in stouts bring the pH down but you never know until you check.
dinnerstick

Unread postby desupero » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:36 am

Thanks dinnerstick. I had the 2 row pre-ground by the seller, but i did grind the Caramunich and other grains myself and though they looked ok. I started by inverting the filter plate, but it was about to push the grain over the side of the malt pipe during the first mash phase (so a seal would be a good idea, or some washers as spacers to stop it reaching up to that level) so i paused and turned it back around. I had 6.1kg of grain in there, so maybe it was a little cramped after turning the plate back around and didn't let the water flow. I'll pause and stir it in the future and see how that goes. Do you lift the tube out and stir (as it's full of hot fluid) or do you have some other way of taking out the filter plate and leaving the malt pipe in place to stir? Thanks again :-)
desupero

Unread postby dinnerstick » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:25 pm

just undo the nut, lift off the bar and the top filter plate and screen, and leave the malt pipe in place. the weight of the malt will keep the pipe in place enough for you to give it a vigorous stir.
dinnerstick

Unread postby desupero » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:36 pm

I wanted to thank you all for the help. We did the same recipe exactly and roughly the same mash program only i added an extra 10 mins at 67C for a 45 min mash step and gave it a fairly hefty stir 3 times (at 15 min intervals). The OG went from 1.060 in the first batch to 1.067 in the second. Our FG on the first recipe was 1.019 (ABV 5.38%) and our second to date is at 1.019(ABV 6.30%) with another few days or a week to go. So based upon our observations (and maybe another 10 mins at 67C) would suggest that a good stirring during the program has an effect on the OG in this particular recipe and case. Thanks again to you all...
desupero

Return to Technical Support