Add more hops

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

Add more hops

Unread postby Hacksaw » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:33 am

Dear all,
Has anyone had this error before? I was brewing a Timothy Taylor landlord today and had a problem with the programmer. Boil schedule was set to a 90 min boil with hops at 60 and 10 mins. After the boil count down got to 45 mins, the display read 'add hops' at the top with dashes below and no 'quit' option. To resolve this I turned the power off and on again which cleared the error but reset the boil to 60 mins remaining. The programme continued from there correctly as programmed with the 10 min addition beep as expected. Obviously this was not a significant issue and the brew day was fine in the end. Just was wondering if it had happened to anyone else
H
Hacksaw

Model: 20 litres

Re: Add more hops

Unread postby Oz11 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:46 pm

Mine doesn't give a quit option at hop reminders and clears itself eventually, are you saying that yours normally does?
FV: Northdown/EKG Bitter
Cond: Oatmeal Stout
On MiniKeg: Boadicea Bitter, Single Hop Boadicea, Dogbolter, US Amber
Bottled: Triple Stout, English Wheat Beer, Salem Porter, Triple Stout '15, JHB, Exmoor Gold, APA, Foundryman's Gold, Whitbread 1905 XK, US IPA, Irish Stout, SNPA, Autumn Mild, US Stout, Summit IPA, Milk Stout, Jaipur, 1930's Courage Stout

http://www.PubsAndBeer.co.uk
Oz11

Location: Tonbridge, Kent. UK. Brewing at the Rockin Robin Brewery (15BBL), Maidstone.

Unread postby Hacksaw » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:11 pm

You've got me thinking now! I thought it gave quit options for hop additions to confirm it's done, maybe it doesn't. I'll check when I next brew again. Won't be for 3 weeks. In any event I wasn't expecting the call for hops when it did.
Hacksaw

Unread postby Oz11 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:57 pm

It is certainly odd if it wasn't one that you programmed. Have you checked the schedule currently stored to make sure there's not an addition called for at 45 mins?
FV: Northdown/EKG Bitter
Cond: Oatmeal Stout
On MiniKeg: Boadicea Bitter, Single Hop Boadicea, Dogbolter, US Amber
Bottled: Triple Stout, English Wheat Beer, Salem Porter, Triple Stout '15, JHB, Exmoor Gold, APA, Foundryman's Gold, Whitbread 1905 XK, US IPA, Irish Stout, SNPA, Autumn Mild, US Stout, Summit IPA, Milk Stout, Jaipur, 1930's Courage Stout

http://www.PubsAndBeer.co.uk
Oz11

Location: Tonbridge, Kent. UK. Brewing at the Rockin Robin Brewery (15BBL), Maidstone.

Unread postby RobW » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:45 pm

Oz11 wrote:Mine doesn't give a quit option at hop reminders and clears itself eventually, are you saying that yours normally does?

That's what mine does too.
RobW

Unread postby Nesto » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:39 am

Hacksaw wrote:Dear all,
Has anyone had this error before? I was brewing a Timothy Taylor landlord today and had a problem with the programmer. Boil schedule was set to a 90 min boil with hops at 60 and 10 mins. After the boil count down got to 45 mins, the display read 'add hops' at the top with dashes below and no 'quit' option. To resolve this I turned the power off and on again which cleared the error but reset the boil to 60 mins remaining. The programme continued from there correctly as programmed with the 10 min addition beep as expected. Obviously this was not a significant issue and the brew day was fine in the end. Just was wondering if it had happened to anyone else
H

You have the GEN1 model, right? You don't have to acknowledge the add hops prompt, it will eventually disappear and will continue to run the boil timer even when the prompt is on the display. Apparently with the GEN2 models, you do have to acknowledge and the boil timer still continues to run. My guess is you accidentally left a 45 min hop addition in your program.

Unread postby Hacksaw » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:56 pm

Thanks for the replies. I think maybe your right. When I do my next brew I'll thoroughly check before I start and see what happens. I have to say, I've never made such good beer, so much beer, or enjoyed making and drinking it so much, as I have since I've had the bm! I've not posted much in this forum but it's been very helpful to read all your advice. Thanks. I've had a few beers tonight so I'll stop now before I declare you all my best mates
Hacksaw

Return to Technical Support