Temperature Question

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

Temperature Question

Unread postby crankcasy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:16 pm

Hi all
My new BM50 2015 arrived a few days ago and today I am doing a test run without any malt just water to help clean the system and to teach me how the BM works. One thing I have noticed is the display on the unit is showing 63deg c and I place a Thermopen at the top of the malt pipe it shows 60deg, should I be concerned or do I need to calibrate the BM?
crankcasy

Re: Temperature Question

Unread postby BrauTim » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:12 pm

Or does the thermopen need calibrating!

Interesting observation, let us know how you get on.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby crankcasy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:48 pm

The Thermopen is spot on I check it regularly and I trust it
crankcasy

Unread postby McMullan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:02 pm

The BM's temp probe is closer to the heating element than the top of the malt pipe. Even if the pump(s) are running, it is an open system. Are you able to take a temp reading closer to the unit's probe? I've noticed similar discrepancies on my 20L. I don't think it matters. It's brewing beer. And you'll be making great beers with it :wink:
McMullan

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:52 pm

I don't get it, is the temp only 60 at the top of the pipe, or also around the probe? i mean, are we talking about a big heat differential or just an issue of accuracy on the BM sensor? if that's the case, it's annoying, but as long as it's precisely inaccurate you can still dial in your recipes and make consistent beers. i would agree that this is not ideal since it's an expensive bit of kit, and should be more accurate than 3 degrees out. curious if others have calibrated their temp probes very well? mine agrees with my kitchen thermometer, but that's all i can say.
dinnerstick

Unread postby Erick » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:28 pm

It must be impossible to have the same constant temperature throughout the whole BM50.
The temperature will fluctuate and it will, obviously, be warmer near the coils than on the top surface.
I think that a difference of only 3 degrees is brilliant :cheers:
Erick

Unread postby 3LB » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:31 pm

Interesting.

I'll be putting the unit to (hopefully) good use on Saturday again.

I'll check its temp then, putting in enough water to cover the heating element but not too much - this should make the distance variable smaller. I have a BM20 though so it's a smaller amount of water/mash in total anyway.

Will report back.
3LB

Unread postby crankcasy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:09 am

Well I finished running the new system through its cycle last night and was very impressed and I have to concede the point I was measuring the temperature at was a long way from the probe. So this morning I thought I would try it again without the malt pipe installed and the Braumeister about half full. I checked it with just the pump running and the element turned off. The readings i received were 47.1 Thermapen to 48.5 Braumeister. Still a bit of variation between the two but not as bad.

It still would be nice to be able to calibrate the unit as the temperature I enter in the recipe is the temp I want the grain bed to be at not the bottom of the unit.

One thing I notice was how good the boil was with the unit set to 100deg, other people have complained about not getting a good boil with the BM this was not a problem for me.

I will be doing my 1st brew tomorrow with the BM I will let you know how it works out.
crankcasy

Unread postby Dicko » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:18 am

crankcasy wrote:Well I finished running the new system through its cycle last night and was very impressed and I have to concede the point I was measuring the temperature at was a long way from the probe. So this morning I thought I would try it again without the malt pipe installed and the Braumeister about half full. I checked it with just the pump running and the element turned off. The readings i received were 47.1 Thermapen to 48.5 Braumeister. Still a bit of variation between the two but not as bad.

It still would be nice to be able to calibrate the unit as the temperature I enter in the recipe is the temp I want the grain bed to be at not the bottom of the unit.

One thing I notice was how good the boil was with the unit set to 100deg, other people have complained about not getting a good boil with the BM this was not a problem for me.

I will be doing my 1st brew tomorrow with the BM I will let you know how it works out.

It is important that when measuring the temperature of the mash the temperature is taken at the position which accurately reflects the hottest part of the mash.
this is why in a Herms or Rims the temperature is measured immediately at the outlet or at the temperature source.
The BM is the same...it is virtually a Herms and the hottest part is near the elements, exactly where the BM temp sensor is. Reading it from any other position will be an inaccurate figure of the true mash temp.

When boiling water in the BM it appears to achieve a vigorous boil, however wort is a different matter. when you program your boil set the boil temp to 102 for the old model or as I am lead to believe, 103 on the new model.
The machine wont over-boil or scorch your wort but it will regulate the boil through the PID function in the controller.

Good luck with your first brew

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby crankcasy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:37 am

That makes sense Dicko I have never brewed Herms or Rims before all of my prior systems have been 3 tier mash in cooler setups, the way I look at it now is I will have to adjust my recipes to reflect this.

As for the boil at my altitude water boils at 98.1c not sure if wort has a different boiling temp but my BM had a very good rolling boil set to 100c.

I just took the temp again with the Thermapen touching the BM temp probe the results were 40.1c to 43c. Would be nice to be able to calibrate this out.
crankcasy

Unread postby johnrm » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:03 am

Calibration would be a useful feature, though if not available, you may need to replace your probe, so talk to your supplier.

Dicko wrote:...the hottest part is near the elements, exactly where the BM temp sensor is. Reading it from any other position will be an inaccurate figure of the true mash temp.

Not so on BM20, probe is after the pump.
johnrm

Unread postby crankcasy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:22 am

I think I will just adjust my recipes for now until I find out how to calibrate it.
crankcasy

Unread postby red ice » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:46 pm

How does the beer taste with all these minor temperature differences? Isn't that what matters?
red ice

Location: Scotland. I can almost see the Caledonian Brewery from my doorstep

Return to Technical Support