Slow Pumping

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

Re: Slow Pumping

Unread postby HLA91 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:58 pm

I couldn't see anything earlier as to why it isn't sealing, the gap is very small I could fit a credit card through it but that was with a good amount of force but obviously water finds gaps easier. Its raining and howling outside now (Bm is in the shed) so I'll have a good look tomorrow and examine the base unit and malt pipe and see if anything obvious stands out.

EDIT: I just brought the malt pipe in to take a look. I placed it on the kitchen counter and cant see any gaps on the bottom. Tomorrow I'll get the girlfriend to press down on the pipe whilst I pour in a cup or so of water and see if it leaks to the outside. If it does then I'll try on a different counter section just to be sure its not the counter. Failing that I'll contact Spiedel directly, even though I'm still under warranty I assume they are more experienced in dealing with this issue than Vigo. A pain though as I was about to take advantage of Niels 5% discount and buy some accessories tonight before the time limit expires:(
HLA91

Unread postby McMullan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:10 pm

Your malt pipe sounds like it's fine. Have you removed and thoroughly inspected the seal? Mine fell off once and I noticed a build up of what looked like grain debris. That might cause localised distortion? You might want to assess the 'flatness' of the base of the BM. Use a short straight edge or even pour in a strong coffee to detect any protruding areas?
McMullan

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby martingale » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:22 pm

HLA91 wrote:I have just checked the BM, and after screwing down the malt pipe I slowly poured water into the centre from a height of around 3cm and found a leak. No patter how hard I turn the nut I cant get the leak to stop I have tried repositioning the seal but no luck.

I have only used the BM 3 times, it hasn't been dropped, knocked, what are my options?
I do think having a straight bar holding the pipe down is a bit of a risk though, surely a plus shape (+) hold down bar would distribute the push down pressure more efficiently?

The first BM I received from Speidel was damaged during shipping. If enough pressure's was applied sideways on legs (during shipping), it dents the bottom of the kettle, making it not flat enough to create a seal with the malt pipe. I'd get a touch with Speidel.
martingale

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby HLA91 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:18 pm

I have just emailed Speidel explaining what is happening and that the bottom is leaking in the same place each time, I'm hoping to get a reply tomorrow. My girlfriend raised a valid point though, you can't really fix anything on the machine yourself so your pretty stuffed outside of your warranty period, luckily I'm still within mine. I read somewhere on the web someone was weighing up the BM against the grain father and they reckoned the grain father is pretty user serviceable, apart from the pump that is, and that's what swayed them over to that instead of the BM.
HLA91

Previous

Return to Technical Support