Boiling point, how do it know?!

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

Boiling point, how do it know?!

Unread postby redwing_al » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:35 pm

I have a question... my boil generally begins at 98/99; however, I set my temperature to 102... I've never seen the BM go over 99... Does the BM know that there is a boil going on or is the temp controller not accurate?
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:
FastFermenting Vessel 1: ~
FastFermenting Vessel 2: ~
Next Up: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy (Wheat IPA)

Total BM Brews: 10
redwing_al
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:08 am
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Boiling point, how do it know?!

Unread postby Lindh » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:01 pm

Boiling occurs att different temperatures depending on altitude and air pressure. On mount Everest you can't boil an egg properly because the water there boils at 70c.
Destilled water at ocean level and normal pressure boils at 99.98c. My water boils at 99.89c because I live 27m over sea level.
Boiling pint (T) equals 99.98 minus your height (h) above ocean level divided by 300.
T=99.98-(h/300)
The termometer in the Braumeister is not more or less accurate than most termometers you buy under 40 euro. I have a Greisinger GTH 1170 termometer which is made for professional and/or industrial use and it can be calibrated at two points at the same time. I haven't made proper measurements on my BM50 yet but I will over the next couple of brews.

Image
User avatar
Lindh
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:09 am
Location: Sweden
Model: 50 litres

Re: Boiling point, how do it know?!

Unread postby janox » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:04 pm

Well that's just physics i guess, the water or wort can not go past it's own boiling point (which in your case is 99)
Setting it to 102 ensures that the boil doesn't slow down/the heating element doesn't turn off.
Edit: too slow
User avatar
janox
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:26 pm
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Boiling point, how do it know?!

Unread postby redwing_al » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:09 pm

janox wrote:Well that's just physics i guess, the water or wort can not go past it's own boiling point (which in your case is 99)
Setting it to 102 ensures that the boil doesn't slow down/the heating element doesn't turn off.
Edit: too slow


Thank you for the explanation, but if i understand.. if my boiling point was 101, then the BM would heat to 101, correct? I think that's my question, how does the BM know there is a boil and not continue to heat water to what I set it at, 102c?

sorry if this is a dumb question..
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:
FastFermenting Vessel 1: ~
FastFermenting Vessel 2: ~
Next Up: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy (Wheat IPA)

Total BM Brews: 10
redwing_al
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:08 am
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Boiling point, how do it know?!

Unread postby janox » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:32 pm

redwing_al wrote:
janox wrote:Well that's just physics i guess, the water or wort can not go past it's own boiling point (which in your case is 99)
Setting it to 102 ensures that the boil doesn't slow down/the heating element doesn't turn off.
Edit: too slow


Thank you for the explanation, but if i understand.. if my boiling point was 101, then the BM would heat to 101, correct? I think that's my question, how does the BM know there is a boil and not continue to heat water to what I set it at, 102c?

sorry if this is a dumb question..

No such thing as a dumb question.
Yes if your boilingpoint is 101 the bm would heat it to 101, however the bm does not know that it is boiling and will TRY to heat the wort to 102, however the wort can never exceed it's boiling point (101 in this case) and therefore the wort will stay at 101 despite the bm's efforts to further heat it.
User avatar
janox
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:26 pm
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Boiling point, how do it know?!

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:53 pm

Hi all

I have the same question - how does the BM "know" that boiling has started (for any boiling point temparature e.g I am at 1700m above sea level and boiling is at circa 95C) and hence starts the boiling timer? [i.e. Question is not about the physics of maximum temperature but rather the mechanics of the BM timer.]

By the way while on the BM boiling timer during my last brew I accidentally stopped the timer when it beaped for the hop insertion by pushing the far left control. Thought I had to do this to signal to the BM that the hops was in. Fortunately I had noted clock time when boil started.
User avatar
Fritzkellerbrau
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:58 pm
Location: Joburg South Africa
Model: 50 litres

Re: Boiling point, how do it know?!

Unread postby redwing_al » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:56 pm

janox wrote:
redwing_al wrote:
janox wrote:Well that's just physics i guess, the water or wort can not go past it's own boiling point (which in your case is 99)
Setting it to 102 ensures that the boil doesn't slow down/the heating element doesn't turn off.
Edit: too slow


Thank you for the explanation, but if i understand.. if my boiling point was 101, then the BM would heat to 101, correct? I think that's my question, how does the BM know there is a boil and not continue to heat water to what I set it at, 102c?

sorry if this is a dumb question..

No such thing as a dumb question.
Yes if your boilingpoint is 101 the bm would heat it to 101, however the bm does not know that it is boiling and will TRY to heat the wort to 102, however the wort can never exceed it's boiling point (101 in this case) and therefore the wort will stay at 101 despite the bm's efforts to further heat it.



I get it! Thanks Janox!
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:
FastFermenting Vessel 1: ~
FastFermenting Vessel 2: ~
Next Up: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy (Wheat IPA)

Total BM Brews: 10
redwing_al
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:08 am
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Boiling point, how do it know?!

Unread postby janox » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:17 pm

Fritzkellerbrau wrote:Hi all

I have the same question - how does the BM "know" that boiling has started (for any boiling point temparature e.g I am at 1700m above sea level and boiling is at circa 95C) and hence starts the boiling timer? [i.e. Question is not about the physics of maximum temperature but rather the mechanics of the BM timer.]

By the way while on the BM boiling timer during my last brew I accidentally stopped the timer when it beaped for the hop insertion by pushing the far left control. Thought I had to do this to signal to the BM that the hops was in. Fortunately I had noted clock time when boil started.

The bm boiltimer starts when temp doesn't rise during a certain amount of time.
User avatar
janox
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:26 pm
Model: 20 litres (2015)

Re: Boiling point, how do it know?!

Unread postby ibbones » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:18 pm

Redwing, I do not know if I am helping and certainly not answering your question but I am in South Texas (60 ft) and my BM20 is boiling at 99* and "sometimes" I can see 100* but it is usually 99* and mostly stays there.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:28 pm
Location: Victoria, Texas
Model: 20 litres

Re: Boiling point, how do it know?!

Unread postby Nesto » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:26 pm

ibbones wrote:Redwing, I do not know if I am helping and certainly not answering your question but I am in South Texas (60 ft) and my BM20 is boiling at 99* and "sometimes" I can see 100* but it is usually 99* and mostly stays there.

I always figured the BM thermometer simply doesn't round up ;)
___________________________
Check out my brewing blog... http://www.sycamorecreekbrewing.com/
User avatar
Nesto
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:03 pm
Location: Northern California
Model: 20 litres

Re: Boiling point, how do it know?!

Unread postby malzrohr » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:52 am

The manual reads: "As described in the previous section, automatic brewing continues and hops boiling is started. The display again shows the time and temperature of the phase. As the target temperature of 100°C cannot always be reached, timing starts after a waiting period of 3 minutes after reaching at least 95°C."
Es ist zwar ein sehr gutes Bier, die Goslarische Gose; doch wenn man meint, sie sey im Bauch, so liegt sie in der Hose.
malzrohr
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:22 pm
Location: Netherlands
Model: 20 litres

Re: Boiling point, how do it know?!

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:22 pm

Thanks Maltzrohr

Question answered. Should have remembered the rule RTFM. :cheers:
User avatar
Fritzkellerbrau
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:58 pm
Location: Joburg South Africa
Model: 50 litres


Return to Technical Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests