power converter vs wiring?

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

power converter vs wiring?

Unread postby hegeyb » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:15 pm

I recently purchased the BM 20l, and need to solve the electrical situation (I am in the US).

I am considering buying a power converter (3000 watts) that can step my 110 up to 220 instead of wiring in a 220 circuit. Has anyone chosen this alternative? I have sent an email to Seidel but have not heard back.

Seems like a better solution because I can use the converter anywhere I have an outlet. Thoughts please??

Thanks.
hegeyb

Model: 20 litres

Re: power converter vs wiring?

Unread postby redwing_al » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:35 pm

Hi, I am a new owner too.. Expect to take delivery this week. I have heard that using anything thing other than direct wire to 220 is not a good idea. I have had mine wired with a twist lock receptacle. However, I was wondering if you knew what the plug wire colors meant? Do you know which wires are ground and which are hot?

I have the plug, just hoping I can quickly plug in and test some water through it...
Eagle & Schmitt Brewing
Keg 1:
Keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:
FastFermenting Vessel 1: ~
FastFermenting Vessel 2: ~
Next Up: Don't Wheaty, Be Hoppy (Wheat IPA)

Total BM Brews: 10
redwing_al

Unread postby hegeyb » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:26 am

There is a good posting in this same topic area called 'wiring' from Jan of 2014 that may help you.
hegeyb

Unread postby ibbones » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:26 pm

I am a big scardy cat when it comes to electric power. I cannot be too careful and have a LOT of respect for it. That said, I wired my own plug. I bought a cord from Amazon (mentioned on here) and cut the end off and bought a plug that fir my dryer outlet. Three wires is all. If I can do it, you can also.
I do not know anything about the converters but I do not think it's the way to go.
"BONES"
20 Liter BM
ibbones

Unread postby hegeyb » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:42 am

I purchased the transformer after confirming with speidel that it would be fine with the 20l. Used it for the first time this week without any issue at all soni think I am good to go. I like the flexibility of being able to brew anywhere there is a plug.

I am already hooked on the 20l, it is so easy and less hardware to mess with!

Thx
hegeyb

Unread postby HopSong » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:20 pm

Where did you find the transformer?

What size 110v circuit does this require? I would assume much more than a 10amp circuit.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby Lylo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:13 pm

I thought I would bump this as I would like to be able to brew outside sometimes in the summer.
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby HopSong » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:51 pm

I started to pursue this. I looked this on Amazon after looking at a number of others, which incidentally all look pretty similar.

http://www.amazon.com/Rockstone-Power-V ... +converter

I started looking at the 2000w version.. would not work because there is a requirement to multiply the draw of the BM by 50%.. I think due to internal losses and as a good safety factor.. So, I then looked at the 3000 watt. Still, the mfg suggested 5000 watt. Definitely an overkill.. but, no need for worries about it overheating/overworking which would cut down on it's life. They come with a 3 yr warranty according to the person I emailed back and forth with. They said the 3000 watt would work.. but suggested not running it for more than a couple hours at a time.. I'd say, for me, the margin is too slim.. ergo.. the 5000 watt.

IF you were going to run at, say 3500 watts or more, you would need a 30am 110v circuit. However, running at only 2000 watts.. the draw for the BM 20L.. You should well get by with a 20 amp circuit. The first person that emailed me back said a household circuit would work fine.. she also said that the 3000 watt unit would be great.. but, then she had someone else get back to me when I asked about the amp draw for the 5000 watt unit. That's when I believe I got the better answers.

I may still do this in case I decide to brew elsewhere with it.. such as at a club gathering.. but, for the moment, my newly installed 20amp 220v service will be my source. Hope this helps Lylo.

BTW, brewing outside. That is where I will always brew.. summer or winter.. I have a covered patio. I had planned on building a short extension cord to go from the electric stove outlet behind the stove (duh) to the extension cord I purchased (30' in length.. a bit over 9 meters) I have the receptacle and cord that Nesto suggested in another post. I really got a good deal from the guy that installed my 220v line. He is an electrician apprentice who is now 4 yrs into his apprenticeship. He told me what he made as an apprentice and I paid him that and a little more.. So, for $125 plus materials.. I have a solid 220v line that comes into a separate breaker box in my garage that will run 220v@20 amps and two separate 110v circuits at 20amps each. The 110's will power one side of my garage as well as a future line that will go to a shop in my back yard.. think workshop/hobby room for my woodworking and woodcarving.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby Lylo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:05 pm

Thanks Bill that helps alot. I used to BIAB with propane outside but it is not fun when you are minus 20c or worse for weeks in a row. That can really screw up the pipeline or turn brewing into a chore. I don't like either of those choices and it had a huge bearing on my going the BM route :D
I wasn't planning on going for a run today but those cops came from nowhere!
Lylo

Unread postby hegeyb » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:36 pm

Thanks all for the great feedback. I have used it three times with no issues at all. twice on my kitchen outlet which is a 30amp, and once in garage which I think is a15 amp service. I chose to get the 5000 converter just to be safe, its not much more compared to the 3000.

long term, i like the idea of getting a dedicated 220 into the garage, but for now this works just fine.

one concern is that I don't get above 98c degrees, is this normal? still boils enough for my needs, but am wondering if i should be concerned about this? I also use a jacket to insulate it.

Cheers!
hegeyb

Unread postby HopSong » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:07 pm

While I still have no personal experience using the BM, did you use a hood of some sort? That appears to make a big difference as reported by some.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby Nesto » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:07 pm

hegeyb wrote:Thanks all for the great feedback. I have used it three times with no issues at all. twice on my kitchen outlet which is a 30amp, and once in garage which I think is a15 amp service. I chose to get the 5000 converter just to be safe, its not much more compared to the 3000.

long term, i like the idea of getting a dedicated 220 into the garage, but for now this works just fine.

one concern is that I don't get above 98c degrees, is this normal? still boils enough for my needs, but am wondering if i should be concerned about this? I also use a jacket to insulate it.

Cheers!

+1 on hood - DIY or Speidel. Went from barely rolling to healthy, rolling boil for me.

If you see boiling, then it's boiling :) There's little to be concerned about as long as you get a rolling boil. You can also be too vigorous. What's your elevation? You'll be about 1C lower for each 300 meters above sea level.

Unread postby hegeyb » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:28 pm

If I leave the lid on it will get a rolling boil, but I have read numerous times that I should leave the lid off to allow bad stuff to burn off, otherwise run the risk of the dreaded 'off flavor' monster!

Thanks for the reminder about a hood, I did see that mentioned somewhere, including directions on a DIY project using a bowl. I will give it a shot!

I live in Ohio, USA, which is about 900 FT above sea level.

Thx!
hegeyb

Unread postby Nesto » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:45 pm

hegeyb wrote:If I leave the lid on it will get a rolling boil, but I have read numerous times that I should leave the lid off to allow bad stuff to burn off, otherwise run the risk of the dreaded 'off flavor' monster!

Thanks for the reminder about a hood, I did see that mentioned somewhere, including directions on a DIY project using a bowl. I will give it a shot!

I live in Ohio, USA, which is about 900 FT above sea level.

Thx!

Well, there you go. That'll be at least 1C difference. I usually see mine bounce between 99 and 98C - 120m above sea level.

Yeah don't boil with the lid on. Check this thread for nice and cheap hood DIYs: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=197

Unread postby hegeyb » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:34 am

Already have my wife, I mean brew assistant, I mean brewery financer, in the hunt for the bowl, thanks for the great info!
hegeyb

Next

Return to Technical Support