Coarse grind

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

Coarse grind

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Hi fellows,

Have a Corona mill, looking for improvement.
Read the posts, but still some doubts:
- do you always Set the roller gap "coarsely", at 1.2mm?
- for both barley and wheat? And flaked cereals too?
- with such a coarse grind is it necessary to use rice/oak hulls for a >25% wheat malt recipe? Don't find them in Speidel recipes!

Cheers,
Luis
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Re: Coarse grind

Unread postby royco » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:28 pm

Hi Luis,

I mill wheat at the widest setting and then a second time at 1.2mm. Torrified wheat as well, but not sure if you need to mill flaked cereals.
Last brew was 40% wheat malt and this time did not add rice hulls. Reticulation was not exactly vigorous, so will add next time.
I think it was Dicko or Dan who advised, very wisely, to rinse the hulls 3 times as they smell awful!

Cheers, Royco
royco

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Dan » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:00 pm

Yes - Dicko posted the warning re rice hulls.
I've never used any.
I mill at 1.2mm and have used 50% wheat malt.
I don't recall having any issues with the mash (last one @ 50% was 6 months ago), and checking my notes - I haven't recorded any issues.

If you're concerned - try some rice hulls, but I'd try without first and see what happens.
Dan

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:59 pm

sorry if i'm wrong but i don't think you have any control over the crush with a corona mill, it shears the grains, gives you various sizes of particles and a lot of powder, you can make it tighter or looser but you don't crush the grains (ie force the grains through a set size gap, like with a roller mill). this is not to bash the corona, you can make great beer with it, but i don't think you can compare any settings with a roller mill setting. i used one for a couple years with the BM and the results were variable (beers were fine but mash was not consistent), i switched to a roller mill and get more predictable results. i hate on forums when someone says "you have to have this equipment, what you have sucks", i don't mean to do that at all, i just think the corona is so variable as to be totally impossible to compare to roller mill settings
dinnerstick

Unread postby Cervantes » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:01 pm

I recently did a wit with 50% barley and 50% malted wheat. Both milled at 1.2mm. Worked fine.
Cheers :cheers:
Andy
Cervantes

Unread postby royco » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:16 am

Only reason I double-milled the wheat was that it seems much harder than barley malt. My previous mill had only one drive roller and it used to jam. Just upgraded to a new one called Malt Mill by Jack Schmidling which is geared so both rollers
are driven, so probably no need to mill twice.

One concern is this mill seems to break a lot of the malt and creates more powder than the old one (a Crankandstein clone). This could be because my power drill is hard to control at low speeds when working alone and I had to set it at high speed.
royco

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:05 am

Thank you guys,

Until know I've used the Corona mill with barley malt, I get used to it but I fully agree that the grind setting is quite subjective. When I first used Wheat I felt quite unconfortable with it. That's why I'm looking to improve the mill.
I always condition barley before mill. Gonna try with wheat. Any experience of you guys?

What about Brewferm grain mill? Are there better two roller mills in the market at reasonable prices?

:cheers:
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby niels » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:53 am

Luis Coentrao wrote:What about Brewferm grain mill? Are there better two roller mills in the market at reasonable prices?

I have this mill (coming from a Corona) and bought it for 105 EUR (discounted). For this price is it a decent piece of kit. Build quality is good and milling performance is great. I use a cordless drill to drive it. To main downside is the way to adjust and secure the roller. It works, but it is fiddly. So I'm thinking of a way to modify it, but I didn't come to it yet.

I don't have any experience with other roller mills, so I can't compare. Only time will tell if it was a good idea to go for the Brewferm one.

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:37 pm

I have a corona mill (the BM kit issue). I'm interested in Roy's comments re wheat milling. I have always had the Corona setting quite "wide" guesstimate 1.2mm. Found that quite a few grains go through whole. Did a Hefeweizen two brews ago (60% wheat) and found I undershot the OG quite a bit (1.04 vs 1.05). Thought that is was due to the wheat grain not being milled enough? Reduced the gap a bit on my last brew (no wheat grain) and got much closer to the target OG. Was my thinking right that the wheat should have been more "milled".?
Fritzkellerbrau

Re: Jack Schmiddling Mill heads-up

Unread postby royco » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:44 am

I don't know if anyone here knows about this company. My local supplier recommended it highly; rollers are long - about 230mm - and both are driven. Adjustable gap; What they don't tell you is only one end is adjustable!
What is the use of that? The default gap is 1.2mm which is OK but if you widen it you get, say, 1.2~1.5mm.

Dirk, please note, as you use the same supplier, who happens to be away visiting BM at the moment so I can't get hold of him.

This is a big pity because the mill is awesome and can munch through 10kg grain in a minute or two.
royco

Re: Jack Schmiddling Mill heads-up

Unread postby niels » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:20 am

royco wrote:I don't know if anyone here knows about this company. My local supplier recommended it highly; rollers are long - about 230mm - and both are driven. Adjustable gap; What they don't tell you is only one end is adjustable!
What is the use of that? The default gap is 1.2mm which is OK but if you widen it you get, say, 1.2~1.5mm.

Dirk, please note, as you use the same supplier, who happens to be away visiting BM at the moment so I can't get hold of him.

This is a big pity because the mill is awesome and can munch through 10kg grain in a minute or two.

I suppose it is this one: http://schmidling.com/maltmill.htm

I don't have any experience with them, but they have been mentioned on other forums. It looks like they are in business for quite some time already and they provide a quality product.

It is not default that both rollers can be adjusted. I have no idea what the benefit of this is, because when one is adjustable you can already change the gap size...

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby royco » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:11 am

Yes Niels, that is the one. Maybe it is my ignorance, but with this mill you end up with a tapered gap when you adjust the one end. Is that OK? The quality of the machine is excellent.
I won't often need to change from the default gap but I could always feed grain down the thinner or thicker side if necessary.
royco

Unread postby niels » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:13 pm

royco wrote:Yes Niels, that is the one. Maybe it is my ignorance, but with this mill you end up with a tapered gap when you adjust the one end. Is that OK? The quality of the machine is excellent.
I won't often need to change from the default gap but I could always feed grain down the thinner or thicker side if necessary.

I didn't understand it like that. I thought you were saying that only one of the two rollers is adjustable. But it seems that is is only one side of one roller that can be adjusted. That sounds a bit strange as a tapered gap doesn't look like a good idea.

Maybe you're doing something wrong?

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby royco » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:30 pm

No, it is like that. Only one end of one roller is adjustable. I emailed Schmidling and got this fairly terse reply:

"I have no control over what dealers sell or purchase and you didn't pose
any question of solution but I suspect you will be pretty happy with
what you have once you understand the issues.

We offer the Model AA with both sides adjustable because many people
have been brainwashed in believing that it is useful and necessary and
we aim to please.

In twenty years we have not come up with a practical method of changing
the spacing on the geared side without seriously limiting the useful
life of the gears. Backlash is deadly.

The Model A with gears is and has been the Rolls Royce of homebrew mills
for over 20 years. Competitors have come and gone since this was
published but nothing much else has changed....
http://schmidling.com/apnotes2.htm "

The mill is made to high quality standards so there is no gripe about that.
royco

Unread postby dinnerstick » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:44 am

that almost sounds like a monty python sketch!
dinnerstick

Next

Return to Technical Support