Damage to the pumps impeller

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

Damage to the pumps impeller

Unread postby niels » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:32 am

After my first brew with the Braumeister I noticed that both impellers of the pumps showed some damage. It looks like one of the blades scraped the housing, but no damage to the housing can be seen. So I wonder if this might be done on purpose by the manufacturer to balance the impeller...

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I just got confirmation from Speidel that this is done by the manufacturer to balance the impeller.

Niels
Last edited by niels on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

RE: Damage to the pumps impeller

Unread postby cpa4ny » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:41 am

Wow - actually, after almost 3 years of brewing, I never opened up the pump housing.

For cleaning, what I do is that I stick a hose nozzle into each of the pump inlet/outlet and let it blow out all the gook from the opposite side.

Worked for me so far :-)

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby niels » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:09 am

cpa4ny wrote:Wow - actually, after almost 3 years of brewing, I never opened up the pump housing.

For cleaning, what I do is that I stick a hose nozzle into each of the pump inlet/outlet and let it blow out all the gook from the opposite side.

I always open the pumps and clean the them with a cloth. Even when I use your method there is still some small junk that sticks to the impellers.

Maybe you could open your pump and take a picture ;)

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby DWP » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:41 am

+1 for opening the pump after every brew. I'm sure I read that in the manual...lol

I also flush the pump with water through the inlet and outlet inside the vessel but there is always a piece of barley husk that is stuck in the impeller part that comes out/off the magnetic pump when it's open.
DWP

Unread postby cpa4ny » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:10 am

Alright, alright... You guys convinced me :-)

Will check it out over the weekend and post some photos.

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:32 am

DWP wrote:+1 for opening the pump after every brew. I'm sure I read that in the manual...lol

I also flush the pump with water through the inlet and outlet inside the vessel but there is always a piece of barley husk that is stuck in the impeller part that comes out/off the magnetic pump when it's open.

+ 1 from me as well.

My first brew with the 20l and the pump made a noise so I just loosened the lock ring a very small amount and it stopped.
I just don't tighten it as hard now and with a little bit of keg lube it is fine.
When I did take it apart after that first brew it had a mark the same as yours niells but it has since just turned black again.
It may be to balance it as the only effect loosening the pump lock ring would have is that it allowed it to centre itself in the housing.

Cheers
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby Jette » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:31 am

Because of this discussion on the thread, I opened the pump right when I got the machine. Sure enough, there is a 'balance' grind on one blade. The impeller also wobbles: it looks like the mount is flexible to perhaps allow grains to kick through without jamming.
Jette

Unread postby Batz » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:02 am

Different pumps to my old girl.
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby cpa4ny » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:57 am

niels wrote:
cpa4ny wrote:Wow - actually, after almost 3 years of brewing, I never opened up the pump housing.

I always open the pumps and clean the them with a cloth. Even when I use your method there is still some small junk that sticks to the impellers.

Niels

The impellers had some gook on them - hosing them down through the hole doesn't completely clean them.

Will start opening the pump and manually cleaning it after every brew going forward:

Unread postby swiggingpig » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:46 pm

It's also worth noting that there are a number of little bleed holes in the impeller that you should keep clear, I run the blunt end of a 1mm drill bit through them to ensure they are clean.
20L BM with Jacket and Copper Hood
swiggingpig

Re: Damage to the pumps impeller

Unread postby Ijerry » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:12 am

Just made my third brew with my BM 20... At tidy up time I opened pump ... To my horror there was paper staple in it. I only saw grind at that point.

I was beginning to think the staple did the grind damage

There was some rust on staple will this interfere with beer taste in this batch ?
Ijerry

Re: Damage to the pumps impeller

Unread postby Elderberry » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:21 am

Ijerry wrote:Just made my third brew with my BM 20... At tidy up time I opened pump ... To my horror there was paper staple in it. I only saw grind at that point.

I was beginning to think the staple did the grind damage

There was some rust on staple will this interfere with beer taste in this batch ?

Yikes! The beer will be fine. But the poor pump...
Elderberry

Re: RE: Damage to the pumps impeller

Unread postby ChilliMayne » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:03 am

cpa4ny wrote:
niels wrote:

Niels

The impellers had some gook on them - hosing them down through the hole doesn't completely clean them.

Will start opening the pump and manually cleaning it after every brew going forward:

Jaysus!! I cant believe that photo cpa4ny!!!
Brewing: Not much glamour but plenty of Glory!
ChilliMayne

Re: RE: Damage to the pumps impeller

Unread postby dinnerstick » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:57 pm

ChilliMayne wrote:
Jaysus!!

that's my favorite irish word!!
dinnerstick

Return to Technical Support