Speidel boil time

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

Speidel boil time

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:49 pm

Hi guys,

I've noticed that both Speidel operating/Brewing instructions, Speidel brochure and Speidel recipes state a standard boil time of 80 minutes. Just as an example or a specific reason behind that?

Cheers.
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Re: Speidel boil time

Unread postby Dicko » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:56 pm

I hadn't noticed that however I have set my own software at an 80 min boil time as it helps to boil off DMS and also suits my volumes.
I know many boil for 90 mins for the DMS reason but the longer boil in my case means a greater pre boil volume and the bigger volume can be difficult to manage for me as I leave around 4 litres of trub in the kettle.
I believe a dome helps as well with a more vigorous boil.

No help with your question unfortunately :D :cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby Luis Coentrao » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:18 pm

Hi Dicko,

Until now I usually set mine for 100 min. plus rest time of 20 min. until starting chilling with a plate chiller.
I use the jacket and the dome and the boil is really really vigorous.
Do you also use a Rest time before chilling the wort? Or is it really advisable to quickly Start chilling immediatly after boil is over?
Luis Coentrao

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby Dicko » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:53 pm

Hi Luis,

Unless I am adding hops for aroma I chill immediately the boil is finished.
My reason is that it causes all the break to drop out quickly and helps to produce a very clear beer.

I use an immersion chiller and when I add aroma hops after the boil, I chill the wort to 80 deg c then add the hops and let stand for around 20 minutes with the lid on.
I then refit the chiller and chill to as cold as I can get it given the conditions on the day.
For lagers / pilseners I use an ice slurry to get the temp down around 9 or 10 deg.

If you are letting your wort stand at after boil temperatures for 20 minutes you are in a sense, altering your hop bitterness similar to those who use the "no chill" method.

Cheers
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Model: 20 litres

Return to Technical Support