Control box dead????

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

Control box dead????

Unread postby Humulus » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:40 pm

Gutted,went to heat my Mash water up in the BM,plugged it in and all i got was the display flashing on and off every now and then,is this the capacitor problems ive heard rumors about??....easy cheap fix.....or hard and expensive? Any advice/help would be great!!!!
Thanks Glenn
Humulus

Model: 20 litres

Re: Control box dead????

Unread postby Batz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:28 am

Humulus wrote:Gutted,went to heat my Mash water up in the BM,plugged it in and all i got was the display flashing on and off every now and then,is this the capacitor problems ive heard rumors about??....easy cheap fix.....or hard and expensive? Any advice/help would be great!!!!
Thanks Glenn

Hi Humulus,
I had this once many brews ago, I was likewise gutted! I turned off the BM and proceeded to email Speidel about the problem.
They replied and sent a detailed email with photos of the capacitor that needs replacing. (I can forward this to you if needed)

Now the next time I turned my BM on it worked! and has done ever since, I have no idea what happened.

Wish you all the best with yours.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Humulus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:30 pm

Batz that would be great if you could forward any info you have on it too me!!
Much appreciated
Cheers Glenn
Humulus

Unread postby Batz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:55 pm

No worries, PM me your email and I'll forward it.

I have also forwarded this to Niel, he may like to post it here as well.

Batz
Your not a real brewer until you own a Braumeister
Batz

Unread postby Tommybear1979 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:33 am

Any pics/schematics of braumeisters controlbox might be interesting. Maybe someone would like to create a external interface. (Web/phone/logging)
Tommybear1979

Unread postby HopSong » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:23 pm

:D
Like many computer problems. Call the tech and one of the first things is to turn the computer off.. as in Pull The Plug. Let it sit for 30 seconds, plug it back in and reboot. It usually works.
Cheers, Bill
Santa Rosa, CA
----------------------------
Hop Song Brewing Co.
HopSong

Unread postby rocketman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:09 pm

I have uploaded the pdf to this forum somewhere with instructions how to replace the capacitor..
rocketman

Unread postby niels » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:33 pm

I made rocketmans post a sticky in the Technical Support section: viewtopic.php?t=410

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Humulus » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:20 pm

All fixed now shes up and running,got the capacitor upgraded from 16v to 20v ,and the bloke who fixed it also upgraded the other capacitors and resistors,said shouldnt ever have a problem again!
Thanks for all your help everyone,especially Batz!
Brew on :beerbang:
Humulus

Unread postby niels » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:32 am

Humulus wrote:All fixed now shes up and running,got the capacitor upgraded from 16v to 20v ,and the bloke who fixed it also upgraded the other capacitors and resistors,said shouldnt ever have a problem again!
Thanks for all your help everyone,especially Batz!
Brew on :beerbang:

That's good news! Back to brewing ;)

Was it a friend who did it or was it a commerce? Would you mind sharing how much you payed for this "upgrade" (as an indication for other potential "victims")?

:cheers:
- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby Wobbly » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:38 am

I had the dreaded control box flashing "on and off" on start up last brew. Turned the main power off and on again and it came good and carried on with brew

Got the BM out today to do a brew tomorrow and when I plugged it in "nothing" no display nothing. Opened the control box up and you could see the capacitor previously identified as the likely culprit with a domed top.

I don't have a suitably small scope iron so took it to a local electronics repairer who agreed that the capacitor looks suss and he is going to change it for me and will upgrade the capacitor from 16 volt to 25 volt and commented that should fix it for good

I will report back on prognosis and costs when I get the PC board back. Might be a week or so as he has a few jobs in front of mine.

Cheers

Wobbly
Wobbly

Unread postby Wobbly » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:38 am

Picked up the "repaired" pc board this morning and reassembled back into the control box, plugged in and unit powered up as normal with all programmable functions working

The repairer confirmed that the capacitor was defective when tested and as indicated in the previous post he replaced it with a 25 volt unit which is about twice the physical size (at least) but does not cause any physical interference

Costs for the repair were A$70 which would have been most likely been all labour as the Jaycar Cat lists the replaced capacitor at A$1.05

I was happy to pay that cost as the unit is working again and I didn't have the appropriate gear to complete the repair myself. In hind sight I could have purchased a basic soldering kit including iron and solder sucker from Jaycar for about A$30 and carried out the repair myself in which case I would have just changed like with like and not considered upgrading the voltage rating of the capacitor to prevent possible future failures

Cheers

Wobbly
Wobbly

Unread postby Wobbly » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:16 am

For those contemplating a repair them selves I would point out that the posted instructions on how to remove the PC board and identify the capacitor in question doesn't make mention of the fact that the "display" has/should also be removed so as to gain access to the where the capacitor pins are soldered to the PC board

This doesn't appear to be a very difficult task as it "appears" as there is a "multi pin connector" connecting the display to the PC board. It's just another item to be carefully removed and replaced

Cheers

Wobbly
Wobbly

Unread postby Humulus » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:19 pm

Sorry Niels for the slow reply (work!!),it cost me $70 Aussie for the repair,the local TV repairman done it,dropped the box off in the afternoon and picked it up the next morning!
Cheers Glenn :beer:
Humulus

Return to Technical Support