Pump Issues

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

Pump Issues

Unread postby nivrac » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:47 pm

I have a 20L unit and it seems my pump does work; however, it's not pushing the water over the grain bed.

I'm only using 11 pounds of grain with 6.5 gallons of water. It was moving water over the grain in the past but it does not seem to be doing this now.

Any help, tips, or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Nivrac
Gilbert, Arizona
nivrac

Model: 20 litres

Re: Pump Issues

Unread postby niels » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi Nivrac,

What a bummer! I have no experience with a faulty pump, but these questions come to mind when thinking over your problem.

Is it your first brew? If yes, did you do a "dry" run with water before? Was everything fine then?

If it isn't your first brew did you open and clean the pump after last brew? If so, are you sure you also screwed on the pump well?

- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby nivrac » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:03 pm

Niels,

This would be my 10th brew on the unit all previous brews were awesome. I clean the pump each time I use the unit. I'm going to drain the unit then check the pump to make sure that everything is okay then try again. I will keep the forum posted.
Nivrac
Gilbert, Arizona
nivrac

Unread postby Dicko » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:16 pm

What is your grain bill.

If it contains a lot of protein eg; wheat, oats etc, then the flow will run more freely as the temperature of the mash increases.
Give the mash a good stir to loosen it up a bit and try it again.
Also make sure that if your pump is the one with the flow adjuster on the side, that the knob is set on the maximum position.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby nivrac » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:05 am

Issue solved =).

The new variable turned out to be the new employee in the home brew store who milled my grain at .099 vice 1.27. Once I verified that my unit was functioning properly I went back and talked to the employee and asked him how did he mill the grain. I'm now back up and brewing folks, I guess I will be investing in my own milling unit ASAP =).

Thanks for all the help =).
Nivrac
Gilbert, Arizona
nivrac

Unread postby dinnerstick » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:36 am

great that you solved it! i was going to suggest, and will still post it since i'm still amazed at their level of customer service, that as well as posting on here you contact speidel directly, they are really good at getting back to you on technical problems. maybe then will even send some muscle down to your homebrew shop and flick your man behind the ear...
dinnerstick

Unread postby Jacques » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:54 pm

Dicko wrote:if your pump is the one with the flow adjuster on the side, that the knob is set on the maximum position.

Hi Dicko,

I am not aware about this flow adjuster, is it on recent units or on older units ?

Thank you very much in advance for the info about this.
Best regards,
Jacques.
Jacques

Unread postby rocketman » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:01 pm

Jacques wrote:
Dicko wrote:if your pump is the one with the flow adjuster on the side, that the knob is set on the maximum position.

Hi Dicko,

I am not aware about this flow adjuster, is it on recent units or on older units ?

Best regards,
Jacques.

What I understand on older units there is a dial on the pump for adjustments..
rocketman

Unread postby Dicko » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:40 am

rocketman wrote:
Jacques wrote:

Hi Dicko,

Best regards,
Jacques.

What I understand on older units there is a dial on the pump for adjustments..

That is correct.
My pump has an adjuster on the side and I accidentally bumped it and the flow was very slow.
I have since sealed it in maximum position with some silicon.

:cheers:
The worst thing that can happen if I die is that my wife will sell all my brewing equipment for what I told her I paid for it
Dicko

Unread postby ChilliMayne » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:52 pm

During the mash, should there be a generous overflow from the malt pipe all the time the pump is on?
I get an initial overflow and then a permanent trickle coming from the 'lock down' pipe, is that suppose to be the case? :?:
Brewing: Not much glamour but plenty of Glory!
ChilliMayne

Model: 50 litres

Return to Technical Support