A question for those that have had to change the tank

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

A question for those that have had to change the tank

Unread postby paulg » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:31 pm

I need to change my tank on the BM, Speidel have sent me a new one .
Is there anything to look out for when changing out the pumps, heaters, temp sensor etc,
paulg

Model: 50 litres

Re: A question for those that have had to change the tank

Unread postby niels » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:26 pm

paulg wrote:I need to change my tank on the BM, Speidel have sent me a new one .
Is there anything to look out for when changing out the pumps, heaters, temp sensor etc,

I didn't have to do this, but with all repairs of this size I would take a lot of photos, label the connectors and make sure you have the right tools (like screwdrivers etc that fit the nuts and bolts).

This might be a nice opportunity to create a small picture report of your swap... If you have the time, of course!

Good luck!
- Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby paulg » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:44 pm

Niels
unfortunately I didnt take any photographs .The battery in my camera was dead,however I do have some comments to make that might be of use to others.
The tools required are very few
13mm spanner
19 mm spanner
22 mm spanner
electricians screwdriver
and a large spanner to fit the pump to tank fittings (I used an adjustable spanner).

things to note
to remove the heating elements I had to dismantle the plug and disconnect the wires .(this was after I had cut back the rubber cover over element to wire connection expecting a push on connection,it was a soldered connection).Remember to use a 19mm spanner in the inside of the tank element nut to stop wringing the element off.

All the nuts holding the elements,temperature sensor and pump fittings are assembled with blue thread sealant and are a bugger to undo.I had to heat them but was worried about burning the wires ,(I didnt) I used a hair dryer to heat.

overall it is a relatively easy thing to change out the tank all I did was label the plugs on the control unit so as to replace them correctly .Reassemble using thread sealant
paulg

Unread postby MattSR » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:08 am

Just curious - short of physical damage due to the BM falling over or something equally catastrophic, why would one need to change the tank over?
MattSR

Unread postby paulg » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:03 am

I had to change mine due to damage during shipping,speidel asked if I was happy to change the tank myself,and as it was not as heavy as a complete braumeister I decided it was less likely to get dropped,also no need to return the complete unit again less chance of damage.
barring damage in transit/dropping it later on I think it highly unlikely that anyone would need to change the tank.
paulg

Return to Technical Support