Bottom of my BM50 not leveled, worth escaping under the pipe

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

Bottom of my BM50 not leveled, worth escaping under the pipe

Unread postby gunnaols » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:56 pm

Greetings!

Thought I'd share my experience here and see if there's any other users that's had the same issue as me.

My issue is mainly worth escaping under the malt pipe. Very poor flow over the top and clearly see a fountain bubling on the side. When I tilt the malt rod in the middle the fountain changes sides. I've also inserted the malt pipe without the rubber seal to find gaps on both sides. I have only been brewing with the short malt pipe so far and I fear with the regular malt pipe it won't even be able to push the worth over the top. I have tried all different crush from 1.2mm - 1.8mm.

This is indeed a new BM50 plus, and I've sent it to service once where they said it is working as it should. After 4 months of waiting to get it back I'm hesitating to do the same thing and get the same response. In my eyes this is clearly a production fault, I'm just interessed to see if there's others with the same issue. Can also note that I've experienced condensation in the front panel aswell.

Here's a short video where you see the worth escaping on the side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61BWBWZ ... e=youtu.be

If there's anyone out there with a solution it's very much appreciated! :)

*Sorry for double post*
gunnaols

Model: 50 litres

Re: Bottom of my BM50 not leveled, worth escaping under the

Unread postby BarnBrian » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:38 pm

I'm not able to play youtube so can't see what's going on. How tightly have you got it screwed down?
BarnBrian

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby gunnaols » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:50 pm

I've tighten it past hand tightening I'd say, and I've tried different variables there aswell with no help.
gunnaols

Unread postby BarnBrian » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:31 pm

I assume you've checked the seal for damage. I've found that barely hand tight is sufficient to get a good seal. Does it work ok with just water. I crush at around 1.6mm which works fine for me.
BarnBrian

Unread postby gunnaols » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:44 pm

Yeah, I can fit 2 credit cards under the malt pipe when it's tightened down without the seal. I did crush 1.6 then I had slight better flow and less fountain on the outside. But that was with the short malt pipe. When the worth will get more resistance using the big malt pipe I assume I would encounter no flow through the top. I still have left to brew with the big malt pipe but will get around to do that aswell.

I've made the video public aswell now so you should be able to see it now.
gunnaols

Unread postby BarnBrian » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:08 pm

gunnaols wrote:Yeah, I can fit 2 credit cards under the malt pipe when it's tightened down without the seal. I did crush 1.6 then I had slight better flow and less fountain on the outside. But that was with the short malt pipe. When the worth will get more resistance using the big malt pipe I assume I would encounter no flow through the top. I still have left to brew with the big malt pipe but will get around to do that aswell.

I've made the video public aswell now so you should be able to see it now.

Do the credit card test with the big malt pipe, that will indicate if it's the BM base that's deformed or if it's your small malt pipe.
BarnBrian

Unread postby gunnaols » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:11 pm

I have checked with both and it's the same on both of them. Also placed both of the malt pipes on a completely leveled surface to eliminate that aswell.
gunnaols

Unread postby MattSR » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:00 am

I believe Speidel have some thicker malt pipe seals available to help combat this.
MattSR

Unread postby BarnBrian » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:53 am

gunnaols wrote:I have checked with both and it's the same on both of them. Also placed both of the malt pipes on a completely leveled surface to eliminate that aswell.

In that case it sounds like the base is deformed. Putting a thicker seal in isn't the answer as far as I'm concerned, that would just be a short term bodge. I think they should replace the unit.
BarnBrian

Unread postby mashy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:27 am

+1

This certainly sounds like it needs to be replaced.
mashy

Unread postby gunnaols » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:41 am

Ok it was nice to get some confirmation that I'm not a hassle-some customer then! Just find it strange they didn't do that the first time I sent it in then. I've contacted the seller now so will see what the ending result will be.

In regards of the thicker seal I've heard about that aswell, but in my eyes I'm not paying that amount for a brewing unit to have to invest in extras to counter errors.
gunnaols

Unread postby MattSR » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:10 am

Yes, of course! It should just work out of the box, I agree.

Speidel have had lots of issues with shipping damage on the 50L model, especially where the unit gets dropped and the feet of the unit which bends the bottom of the unit right where the malt pipe seals.

If you don’t have any luck with the retailer you got it from, get in touch with Speidel directly.
MattSR

Unread postby gunnaols » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:32 pm

I sent it to speidel directly in the first place, but they had it over summer so maybe it was a hectic period and didn't catch the problem then. I'll see if I get a reply during the week.

Thanks for the information so far!
gunnaols

Return to Technical Support