Pump intermittent running

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

Pump intermittent running

Unread postby Bigstew » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:03 am

Bloody pump has packed up. Flipped the Bm over and disconnected the pump, all clean and dandy pump only works when you give it a twist to help it going, it then turns for a few seconds then stops. Press the button again then nothing, press the button again and it spins freely and the whole cycle repeats itself. I think its knackered unless anyone has any ideas or previous experience with this please. Its only 3 years old.
Bigstew

Model: 20 litres

Re: Pump intermittent running

Unread postby mashy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:29 pm

Check the wiring.
Does it run OK without the impeller on?
mashy

Unread postby IPA » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:43 am

Bigstew wrote:Bloody pump has packed up. Flipped the Bm over and disconnected the pump, all clean and dandy pump only works when you give it a twist to help it going, it then turns for a few seconds then stops. Press the button again then nothing, press the button again and it spins freely and the whole cycle repeats itself. I think its knackered unless anyone has any ideas or previous experience with this please. Its only 3 years old.

How can you twist it to get it golng ? There is no access to the impeller when assembled. Speidel have used seveal models of pump over the years which one is it ?
IPA

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby mashy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:54 am

The impeller is magnetic. Mine would spin up without the case on.

I wondered if the motor spins up without the impeller in place? [you would be able to feel it]

PS be very careful with the impeller - they are the expensive bit and easy to break if dropped.
mashy

Unread postby IPA » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:59 am

Bigstew wrote:Bloody pump has packed up. Flipped the Bm over and disconnected the pump, all clean and dandy pump only works when you give it a twist to help it going, it then turns for a few seconds then stops. Press the button again then nothing, press the button again and it spins freely and the whole cycle repeats itself. I think its knackered unless anyone has any ideas or previous experience with this please. Its only 3 years old.

How can you twist the pump to get it going. ? There is no access to the impeller when assembled. Speidel has used several models of pump over the years which one is yours ?
IPA

Unread postby nibber » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:50 am

Did you resolve your pump issue? :beer:
nibber

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby Bigstew » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:10 pm

Right then I disconnected the pump from its housing. Then pressed the manual button "on" with the power connected but not bolted to the BM. I gave it a little flick and it span as described before. After this I the disasembled the rear of the pump and their was a distictive aroma of burnt electrics. I took it to a local motor fixer who quoted £95 + vat for a rebuild. I found a supplier in Austria who has shipped a brand new Lowara E1-15/70B pump including shipping for 96 Euro, just waiting for it now. Also contacted BrewUK and Braumeister as its almost 3 years old they dont give a ****.
Bigstew

Unread postby mashy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:09 pm

Ouch. That's steep.
mashy

Unread postby Bigstew » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:23 pm

Got the new pump today. Switched the power cable over and hey presto it seems to be working. Just would like to ask, the new pump has a dial on it which setting or number should I operate at it goes from 1 to 7. My inclination woud be 6 or 7 is this too much?
Bigstew

Unread postby mashy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:54 am

Stoopud comment first... Was there a knob on the old one. I do know they are a few pumps out there.

Think mine is on 4. But can't get to it right now.
mashy

Unread postby IPA » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:07 am

Bigstew wrote:Got the new pump today. Switched the power cable over and hey presto it seems to be working. Just would like to ask, the new pump has a dial on it which setting or number should I operate at it goes from 1 to 7. My inclination woud be 6 or 7 is this too much?

That is not the latest model pump that Speidel fit. The current one is,or was, not fitted with a speed controller. That is why I previously asked what model pump you had.
IPA

Unread postby Bigstew » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:27 am

No there was no dial on the old pump but the new pump which has been delivered does have the dial, will set to 4 as posted by IPA so thank you all for you input, brewing this afternnon a "piny the edlder," clone double mash with 10kg total grain bill and a 3 litre Denny fave starter.
Bigstew

Unread postby mashy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:50 am

I don't t think you are going to get into any harm with '4'

Will double check for you.
mashy

Unread postby Bigstew » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:52 am

Many thanks for all your help.
Bigstew