Gaermeister Control - best way to kill your beer

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

Gaermeister Control - best way to kill your beer

Unread postby mayzus » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:13 am

Purchased Gaermeister Control and WiFi module. This was a day when problems started. First of all, it come with an old version of firmware and was not registered with myspeidel.com, so, updated to latest.

But before telling about Gaermeister Control troubles, it is time to say that myspeidel.com is also has a lot of bugs. Tried to register an account using my e-mail address. Activation link did not come. Tried to re-send activation link - did not come again. And so on. Tried to register another account with different e-mail address. Of course, lost my favorite user name... and again - the same story: no activation link. Finally, created account with @gmail e-mail address. And successfully activated it.

But let’s come back to the Gaermeister Control...

Bug 1: Power loss. So, when controller is running a program to cool the fermenter, it might happened that your location will have a power loss. After recovering the power, the controller usually returns back to interrupted program and continues it’s supposed operation. But sometimes - it shows the blinking screen asking user to manually confirm that it should continue interrupted operation. And this stupid computer will never “understand” that there is no operator near who can confirm that it MUST CONTINUE interrupted program!!! <b>Why not just put a short piece of code to force controller to continue interrupted program if there is no operator reaction let’s say in 5 minutes?</b>

Bug 2: Temperature change. When controller is connected to myspeidel.com and running a program to cool the fermenter, it can happened that it will set itself a target temperature to 3178 degress Celsius. Instead 3 degress you need to keep. This is what happened today: Target temperature was set 3 degress, actual temperature in the evening was 4 degress. Waking up in the morning - Actual temperature 9.5 degress, Target temperature 3178 degress.

Bug 3: Connection loss. Having bug 2 described above - logged in to myspeidel.com to set the proper target temperature, changed this 3178 degress back to 3 degress, submitted change... and... Controller disconnected itself from the internet (WiFi) and entered to the stage “connecting to ...”. And, it will never connect back until you disconnect the power and connect it back again... and here - welcome to Bug 1 :)

So, my opinion is - Speidel must change their IT team, who makes their products useless... more - trouble making products!!! I do not speak about condensate under glass of the screen - this is also can happened.

This is just a sample, how great idea in poor implementation can kill the entire business!

Free tip to Speidel: If you are unable to employ a good programmers and provide quality support - make your software open source and people will fix your firmware bugs for free!
Last edited by mayzus on Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
mayzus

Model: 50 litres

Re: Gaermeister Control - best way to kill your beer

Unread postby mayzus » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:21 am

Some photos to my previous post.

3125FEE8-9EE7-4E71-BC66-6A20963D7ED1.jpeg
Bug 2

0B898A17-6643-4A10-B54F-7445BF07FBA7.jpeg
Bug 2

BBC85F63-782F-47D2-BD64-3DDD007E1C2B.jpeg
Bug 1
mayzus

Unread postby mayzus » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:29 pm

Surprised with fast reaction of Speidel on such a serious bugs. They contacted me and informed that evaluated the bugs.

Hope firmware update will be released soon.
mayzus

Unread postby mashy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:36 am

Good write up.

Did speidel mention why you had all those problems?
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby mayzus » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:40 am

mashy wrote:Good write up.

Did speidel mention why you had all those problems?

The Bug 1 they said was made intentionally to notify the user that there was an interruption of the program. But they agreed with me that much better would be to continue interrupted program. To notify the user, I believe, it is possible to put some sign on the screen that there was an interruption, but much better would be to write log ;)

The Bug 2 they also discovered last week and believe it is caused by the script on the web site. I also believe it is caused by the script on the web site, because with disconnected WiFi module this Bug not happened. But strange thing is Bug 3... So, they have to work these things down.

What they said is that they will do their best to release update as soon as possible and expect update next week. Till now, I just disconnected WiFi module from controller to avoid further surprises with temperature change.

P.S. I agree that in some cases “Bug 1” might be more helpful to wait user decision. Let’s say in case of significant temperature change during the long power failure. So, may be it will be smart to add additional setting in the settings menu - something like temperature limit. But alert and log I think would be the best solution. Let’s say in case of power failure - after recovery continue interrupted program in any way, putting log record, but if temperature changed during power failure let’s say for two degress - put alert sign on the screen.
mayzus

Return to Technical Support