Controller bricked by antivirus sw

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

Controller bricked by antivirus sw

Unread postby Pjotrek » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:04 pm

Today, I wanted to update my BM50 to 1.1.25 firmware before brewing on 26/12. Wise from other issues, I deactivated everything that could be deactivated on my Bitdefender malware protection before starting the update. The old firmware was erased, but when the updater started uploading the new firmware, Bitdefender anyway aborted the process, and quarantined the SpeidelSoftwareUpater, cmd.exe, mode.com and AVROSP.exe, and says 'Potentially malicious applications blocked'.
Well that can be fixed, but now the controller is bricked and does not respond at all to the updater, and starting the BM50 without USB just gives a black screen. Of course, I will ditch the Bitdefender sw, but what to do to unbrick the MB50? -It seems the updater no longer gets any contact with the controller.
[This message was sent using 100% recycled electrons]
Pjotrek

Model: 50 litres

Re: Controller bricked by antivirus sw

Unread postby gandalf the brew » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:05 pm

The transfer software is no longer able to find the minimum requirements to activate the file transfer because they've been erased.

I've just read through their PDF, it states windows 7 & software version 2.1.1.24 are the minimum requirements. No where does it state that you need to disable anti virus software.

So to that end, as long as you did as they said, their software should have been certified virus free and should not of caused your AV to abort instalation.

I would contact Speidel and tell them what has happened, they should ask you to return the controller so they can flash the eprom.
Carrots are good for your eyesight, but beer doubles your vision
gandalf the brew

Model: 10 litres (2015)

Unread postby mashy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:18 pm

BANG on. I don't think you will be able to recover a firmware update failure without oem support.
mashy

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby edsena » Sun May 20, 2018 5:32 pm

... out of curiosity: Did you manage to solve this?
edsena

Model: 20 litres

Return to Technical Support