BM WiFi Mobile unit stops mid brew.

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

BM WiFi Mobile unit stops mid brew.

Unread postby gandalf the brew » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:17 pm

I bought a BM mobile a week ago. I've been using it to setup recipes etc.
The other day whilst doing a brew all went well until I was about 2 minutes into the boil, when I noticed the temp was not rising on my PC/myspeidel control panel.

When I checked the actual BM it was some 6 degrees further on so I checked my network settings and found I had dropped the mobil unit from the network.
I then checked the BM control panel again and I noticed the IP address had changed from 192.168.1.5 to 192.168.1.2 all on its own, so I continued manually.

Today I switched it on to do another brew and it logged on to the network as 1.5, then during the mashout it did it again.

I had read somewhere about this unit stopping mid brew, perhaps this is the problem.

For those of us that know nothing about networking, when an IP address is assigned it is normally done so through DHCP in the router, this gives an available address to the network device requesting it (it ties to the network device by a MAC address).

The IP address given by the router is dynamic (this is default) it should have a lifetime or lease time address, when that runs out it will be done again, and it will likely change the address. I think this is what has happened here, the unit lost connectivity with the router then established it again and was assigned a new address.

In the MySpeidel online system it will not find the new address because you have entered the old one already, the mobile unit simply will not be recognized by MySpeidel, so it stops syncing and sending info.

The easy quick fix, in MySpeidel, select the DEVICES tab, select EDIT and change the IP address to the new one displayed on the BM control panel.

A permanent fix is to go into your router and allocate the Mac address a static IP address so it can't change no matter what.
Carrots are good for your eyesight, but beer doubles your vision
gandalf the brew

Model: 10 litres (2015)

Re: BM WiFi Mobile unit stops mid brew.

Unread postby BrauTim » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:25 pm

Yes sounds like statically assigning an IP address on the BM is the way to go.
To brew or not to brew, that would be a stupid question !
BrauTim

Model: 50 litres

Unread postby Omphteliba » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:34 am

Yesterday I had a similar problem: after attaching the isolation blanket to the Braumeister, I recognized that the myspeidel control panel had lost connection to the BM20. On the BM display it said "Trying to reconnect to $SSID". I thought, that I somehow fucked with the wifi connection while attaching the blanket, and the BM wasn't able to reconnect to the Wifi.

Can't remember it happening before, so maybe it's a problem with the newest firmware 1.1.25; I updated the BM-Wifi device since last brewday.
"Brew! There is never enough beer in the world."
- Burghard Meyer on Beersmith Podcast #66
Omphteliba

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Unread postby gandalf the brew » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:29 pm

Omphteliba wrote:Yesterday I had a similar problem: after attaching the isolation blanket to the Braumeister, I recognized that the myspeidel control panel had lost connection to the BM20. On the BM display it said "Trying to reconnect to $SSID". I thought, that I somehow fucked with the wifi connection while attaching the blanket, and the BM wasn't able to reconnect to the Wifi.

Can't remember it happening before, so maybe it's a problem with the newest firmware 1.1.25; I updated the BM-Wifi device since last brewday.

You might have a point here, I too didn't have any previous problems, I too updated the software to 2.1.1.25 on Thursday.
Now I have assigned a static address it can't happen again, but some owners don't have routers or ISP's that let them assign a static.
gandalf the brew

Unread postby BrauTim » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:06 pm

gandalf the brew wrote:
Omphteliba wrote:Yesterday I had a similar problem: after attaching the isolation blanket to the Braumeister, I recognized that the myspeidel control panel had lost connection to the BM20. On the BM display it said "Trying to reconnect to $SSID". I thought, that I somehow fucked with the wifi connection while attaching the blanket, and the BM wasn't able to reconnect to the Wifi.

You might have a point here, I too didn't have any previous problems, I too updated the software to 2.1.1.25 on Thursday.
Now I have assigned a static address it can't happen again, but some owners don't have routers or ISP's that let them assign a static.

Is there not the option to assign a static address on the BM itself?
BrauTim

Unread postby Omphteliba » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:09 pm

Booted the BM20 yesterday, but couldn't find no fecking network settings that would have allowed to assign a static ip address.
Omphteliba

Unread postby chastuck » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:48 pm

Omphteliba wrote:Booted the BM20 yesterday, but couldn't find no fecking network settings that would have allowed to assign a static ip address.

You have to assign a static address in your router for the BM.
chastuck

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby Omphteliba » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:54 pm

@chastick: I know that. @BrauTim asked if there is a setting on the BM itself.
Omphteliba

Unread postby BrauTim » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:52 pm

chastuck wrote:
Omphteliba wrote:Booted the BM20 yesterday, but couldn't find no fecking network settings that would have allowed to assign a static ip address.

On a machine of this cost, this is an oversight by Speidel, you should be able to configure network settings on the BM.
BrauTim

Unread postby chastuck » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:20 pm

BrauTim wrote:
chastuck wrote:

On a machine of this cost, this is an oversight by Speidel, you should be able to configure network settings on the BM.

Not really. I have many wifi gadgets. Including a very expensive network music system that cost more than my BM. None of my wifi gadgets can set a static address. It's always down to your network hub/router control panel setup to do this. If you think about it, this is the best place to assign static address as all addresses, both static and dynamic, go through it.
chastuck

Model: 50 litres (2015)

Unread postby BrauTim » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:17 am

chastuck wrote:
BrauTim wrote:
chastuck wrote:[quote="Omphteliba"]Booted the BM20 yesterday, but couldn't find no fecking network settings that would have allowed to assign a static ip address.

Not really. I have many wifi gadgets. Including a very expensive network music system that cost more than my BM. None of my wifi gadgets can set a static address. It's always down to your network hub/router control panel setup to do this. If you think about it, this is the best place to assign static address as all addresses, both static and dynamic, go through it.[/quote]

I don’t necessarily disagree, but I think that manufacturers should provide the option to set the IP on the device also, to help with troubleshooting issues, or where consumers don’t have the knowledge or access to router settings, as just another tool in the toolbox.

I would lump any expensive network device without the ability to set network settings on the device as missing a useful (essential) feature. Why not provide the option? Many printers include this option.

I agree that best practice for an environment with many devices on the network is to control IP addresses from the network gateway, such as an office environment. But in those environments you tend to have knowledgable IT who can sort these things out.

But in a domestic environment, where it can be notoriously difficult for devices to wirelessly connect or devices have a habit of dropping off the network, it can be simpler to just set the IP on he device itself.

A with all things IT there can be issues either way. Anyway if it’s not available as an option then router settings are the way to go.
BrauTim

Unread postby f00b4r » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Setting a DHCP reservation on the router is the best option, that way the IP address will not change on your network but crucially you will be able to see if it is properly connected or not AND if you take it elsewhere or change your router with a different DHCP scope it will still work.

I have had this happen once before and found that if the lead that connects the WiFi unit to the BM is not exactly 100% correctly in and tightened up it can happen.

Something else that MAY be a possible issue is if your router has smart channel swapping, this can cause disconnects and either IP changes or problems with reconnects.
f00b4r

Unread postby MonsieurBadgerCheese » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:01 pm

Did anyone ever get anywhere with this?

MBC :)
Last edited by MonsieurBadgerCheese on Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
MonsieurBadgerCheese

Unread postby gandalf the brew » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:36 pm

It's supposed to be fixed with version 26 firmware
gandalf the brew

Return to Technical Support