Temperature problem

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

Temperature problem

Unread postby Winsdale » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:23 am

Last weekend, after nearly 2 years without any issue, my 2015 20l model starting reporting temperature between 25c and 35c higher than it actually was. Cold water directly from the tap was showing on the BM as around 45c, where my old school thermometer read 14c. I tried updating the firmware to latest version, without any success and have even ordered a new temperature sensor direct from Speidel (total cost 65€ including postage :x ) and replaced this. To my horror, this has not fixed the issue either - now shows 42c with cold water (img attached). At my wits end now, any suggestions please forum?
Attachments
IMG_1693.jpg
Winsdale

Model: 20 litres

Re: Temperature problem

Unread postby gandalf the brew » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:41 am

Looking at it from a logical way, if you change the temp from C to F on the controller, does it still have the same fault ?
Carrots are good for your eyesight, but beer doubles your vision
gandalf the brew

Model: 10 litres (2015)

Unread postby Winsdale » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:44 pm

gandalf the brew wrote:Looking at it from a logical way, if you change the temp from C to F on the controller, does it still have the same fault ?

Unfortunately so, yes. Temperature of the cold water in F is recording as 107F. Also same regardless of WiFi module attached or not. I starting to think this is a controller hw issue, and hopefully Speidel will do the right thing here and sort it out. Can anyone confirm the UK/EU warranty period?
Winsdale

Unread postby mashy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:49 am

Email speidel direct. They may have seen it before and can advise.

If it is the controller and warranty falls you, I would consider an ALVA controller.
mashy

Unread postby Winsdale » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:51 am

mashy wrote:Email speidel direct. They may have seen it before and can advise.

If it is the controller and warranty falls you, I would consider an ALVA controller.

Thanks Mashy, I've now emailed them.

I'm wondering if this is in any way related to the condensation inside the screen issue that my BM has suffered from since first use.
Winsdale

Unread postby mashy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:28 pm

Possibly. Electronics and wet are never gonna be great friends.

How bad is the condensation?
mashy

Unread postby Winsdale » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:12 am

mashy wrote:Possibly. Electronics and wet are never gonna be great friends.

How bad is the condensation?

I'd say it coats around 50% of the inside of the screen - photo attached. I know this is a common issue on the early 2015 models, but it's never really annoyed me to the point of badly wanting it rectified, as long as I could still read the display and the BM worked ok (which it now doesn't).
Attachments
IMG_1676.JPG
Winsdale

Unread postby mashy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:29 am

IMO that needs doing.....& while you are still under warranty!!
mashy

Unread postby Trenfield » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:32 pm

You warranty is six years. Google the little known EU law that retailers don't want you to know about.
Trenfield

Unread postby mashy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:00 am

Gissa clue - what little know EU law?
mashy

Unread postby Trenfield » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:36 am

The Consumer Rights Act 2015.
If you have a problem go to the Which? UK website and they have all the instructions on how to go about getting your goods repaired, exchanged, or your money refunded. When I say it is little known, I am referring to the general public. The retailers know but do not brief there employees, so that when a customer brings it up they can honestly say they have never heard of it.
My XBox packed packed up two days outside the one year guarantee , so I took it back to Argos. The manager said bad luck, so I explained about the EU law. She had never heard of it. I told her to call the area manager and he/she had also never of it. I came home and after a few phone calls got through to the Argos legal team. Straight away I was told to go back to my local branch. Where it was exchanged.
Items have to cost more than £100 and be expected to last more than a year. You may have noticed that some things like central heating boilers are coming with a six year warranty and that is why.
Trenfield

Unread postby Winsdale » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:04 pm

Quick update on this one, the control unit was returned to Speidel and repaired under warranty :) It did take quite a while (just under 5 weeks from sending it to getting it back), though the issue does now seem to be rectified - just completed my second batch since getting it back. Thanks to Claudio at Speidel for keeping me updated on the progress also!

I had updated the firmware version to 1.1.25 before sending it off, though this in itself had not fixed the problem. I've noticed some different behaviour there, all around the boiling stage, e.g. prompt at 99c to remove lid, and having to decrease the boil temp from 103 to 101 to get the boiling timer to begin - I take it this is standard behaviour for 1.1.25?
Winsdale

Unread postby m2ger » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:52 pm

Hi!

We had a similar issue: braumeister reported ca 30 degrees more than the actual temperature. We tried replacing the temperature sensor, but the situation was the same.

BUT -- we did fix this just by unplugging and plugging in the sensor while the machine was running (and water filled in). The temperature reading went to 999.9C while the sensor was unplugged and right after plugging in, it started to show the correct temperature.

Currently in a middle of a mash and everything is fine so far.
m2ger

Model: 20 litres (2015)

Return to Technical Support