Earthing Problem

Experiencing technical problems? Look here for help!

Earthing Problem

Unread postby royco » Fri May 02, 2014 5:54 pm

There is no earth on the BM plug (as with most Euro-style plugs). Has anyone experienced electric shocks when touching the BM?
It was a hot and humid day and I kicked off my shoes. As I touched the metal drum I got quite a jolt. Not like touching the mains, but rather unpleasant all the same! After putting my shoes on the shocking stopped.
I am going to earth the unit but this should not be necessary.
royco

Model: 50 litres

Re: Earthing Problem

Unread postby niels » Sat May 03, 2014 4:40 pm

royco wrote:There is no earth on the BM plug (as with most Euro-style plugs). Has anyone experienced electric shocks when touching the BM?
It was a hot and humid day and I kicked off my shoes. As I touched the metal drum I got quite a jolt. Not like touching the mains, but rather unpleasant all the same! After putting my shoes on the shocking stopped.
I am going to earth the unit but this should not be necessary.

This is strange. The plug should have a whole that accepts the earthing pin of your socket. Alternatively the earthing is done by the metal clips on the side of your socket (NL style).

I have brewed last week with a socket that wasn't grounded well and as a result I felt a twizy feel when touching the BM. Switching to a socket with decent ground made it all feel well.

Can you verify that your socket is properly grounded? Also... Could you share pictures of the socket and the plug?

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby royco » Sun May 04, 2014 7:19 am

Thanks Niels, that explains it. We have 3-pin sockets like the UK style except for round pins. I have used an adapter so there is no earth!
I will cut off the plug and fit a local one which should sort the problem.

Right now I have a more serious problem with a Belgian Wit - my favourite. I have an immediate stuck mash/sparge and don't know what to do.
Have posted under general
royco

Unread postby bjolu340 » Mon May 05, 2014 7:34 am

No need to cut - the format is the same as for cables for stationary computers, just get one from nearest dumpster for old computers or similar.
bjolu340

Model: 20 litres

Unread postby niels » Mon May 05, 2014 8:41 am

bjolu340 wrote:No need to cut - the format is the same as for cables for stationary computers, just get one from nearest dumpster for old computers or similar.

It depends! The 20L version uses the same power cord as a desktop computer, but the 50L (which royco owns) uses a different cable!

You can find some more info in this post: viewtopic.php?pid=608#p608

If I correctly searched Wikipedia it seems that you use the BS 546 standard in South Africa (which seems to be used in India too). So either you try to find a BS 546 to IEC-320-C19 lead or you have to change the plug on your BM lead. Maybe there are adapters on the market who are grounded correctly, but make sure it is capable of 16A!

I tried Google with the query "BS 546 to IEC-320-C19" which seems to give me some usable results.

Good luck!

Niels
niels
Site Admin

Unread postby royco » Mon May 05, 2014 10:49 am

Thank you bjolu340 and niels, I will go the plug replacement route. I've done it many times. We are used to it here as most imported appliances come in with the round 2-pin Euro-style plugs. It doesn't seem to matter with things like power drills and other plastic cased appliances but with a metal unit like BM, especially with water in the mix, earthing is vital.
royco

Unread postby ChilliMayne » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:32 am

With my 50L BM i plug it into an extension lead as my shed isnt wired and the extension lead has a thermal reset on it which makes it trip when over heating and my mashing comes to a halt several times over and makes the joy of brewing a chore!! Hugely frustrating. The square end on the power cord into the BM makes it harder to second source an upgrade too :twisted:
Brewing: Not much glamour but plenty of Glory!
ChilliMayne

Unread postby desupero » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:35 pm

I have experienced the same. I have the BM on a trolley and lie down to enter the settings. I have found that when I Lie down and touch the unit I get a slight shock. If I stand up (with shoes on and touch it) I don't. I was pretty concerned until reading this thread as I thought it could be a BM issue, but appears to be a common experience due to house wiring or an extension lead. I too plug my BM into an extension and even though it has the prongs inside which are supposed to ground it this is clearly not effective maybe due to the extension I am using (obviously some are made better than others). I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a good extension socket? Do I need a surge protector or something else built in? Or is there an adapter that I could use to plug the BM directly into the wall with please? Of course it could just be the wiring in the house as well!
Nothing is too difficult for the man that does not have to do it himself...
desupero

Unread postby squadricus » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:18 pm

Wanting a little longer power cord, I ordered one of these from Amazon: SF Cable, 10ft IEC C20 to C19, 12/3 SJT (20A 250V), Female Receptacle: IEC60320-C19 (molded with 35P PVC). I cut the male end off, and installed a US 220V plug to match the receptacle in my garage. You might be able to fine a cable with the grounded plug you need and the C19 that mates with the BM.
We are the 801, we are the central shaft
squadricus

Unread postby richardm » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:26 pm

Surely there is a fault in your BM off you are getting a shock off it. The earth is there to route the current away safely if a fault occurs. Under normal use the body of the BM should be isolated from the mains.
Richard M
20L BM
Cardiff, Wales
richardm

Unread postby mashy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:54 am

richardm wrote:Surely there is a fault in your BM off you are getting a shock off it. The earth is there to route the current away safely if a fault occurs. Under normal use the body of the BM should be isolated from the mains.

I am so glad you said that... I have been keeping quiet. In the UK that type of residual current to earth would cause an RCD to trip.
mashy

Unread postby jaroporter » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:24 pm

richardm wrote:Surely there is a fault in your BM off you are getting a shock off it. The earth is there to route the current away safely if a fault occurs. Under normal use the body of the BM should be isolated from the mains.

not neccessarily the BM with the fault, but yep, there's at least one fault somewhere..
jaroporter

Model: 10 litres (2015)

Unread postby bierfest » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:51 pm

I used to get a slight minor shock from mine. Problem turned out to be that it came with European 2 pin type plug and not the 3 pin type we use here. I was using an adapter which didn't properly touch the earth. Change of adapter fixed it.
bierfest

Unread postby Fritzkellerbrau » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:25 pm

I had a slightly loose connection in the earthing pin / wire in the plug with same tingling effect. Check all your connections from cord through extension wire to final plug. If earthed properly should not be happening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fritzkellerbrau

Unread postby Snakebite1969 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:57 am

I also got a tingly feeling at the end of Bew day. Turned out the wall plug had overheated since I had to use an extension to reach my 50L BM and slightly melted the earth pin insulator.

Luckily I do have a dedicated circuit for my BM with a residual-current circuit breaker with overload protection on the switch board. Not sure why it didn't trip. Cost an arm and leg to install, but felt my life was worth it with the combination of high current draw and water.

The 2 meter supplied power cable wasn't long enough. Going to order a 5m - 2.5mm wire size dedicated cable from below link so I don't have to use an extension cable.
http://www.rackpower.co.nz/?Action=SiteSearch&SearchTerms=15a&Submit=

I also found directing a fan at the wall power socket greatly reduces the plug from overheating.
Snakebite1969

Next

Return to Technical Support